Alabama vs. LSU

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Alabama vs. LSU

When: Saturday, November 8 2:30 PM CT
TV: CBS
My Prediction: Alabama 42 LSU 10

Bama Quarterback: John Parker Wilson
ImageClick image to enlarge

ROLL TIDE!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:04 am

I like your confidence. And although Bama is undefeated and currently ranked #1, and LSU has serious issues on defense and the quarterback situation is suspect at best, Saban better have them ready because an upset at tiger stadium is a possibility. They will be jacked up for this one.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:35 pm

SouthernBreeze,

I figured that I would get a rise out of you about my Bama vs. LSU prediction. I agree with you that Saban better have Bama ready. Anything is possible today in college football. That’s what makes it so exciting.

ROLL TIDE!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Saturday, November 08, 2008
The Birmingham News
Ray Melick

LSU fans, the doctor will see you now

Admit it, LSU fans. You're jealous. You're bitter.

The coach you loved, Nick Saban, gave you five of the best years of your recent football life, and then unceremoniously dumped you for another team.

You could get past the fact that the other team was in the NFL. It still hurt, but you could wish him well because as long as he stayed in the NFL, you could think of him fondly as long as he kept his distance.

But then Saban came back. Not all the way back to Baton Rouge, but back to live in the same neighborhood, the Southeastern Conference. He came back to coach at a rival school, Alabama.

And today, he comes back to your house with his pretty new team that is ranked No.1 in the country, a team that has become the talk of college football, the way you were not that long ago.

And it hurts. You want to love your head coach, Les Miles. But down deep, you know he's no Nick Saban.

Miles knows it, too. He's tried to get you over Saban by talking bad about Alabama. He's tried to get you over it by winning a national championship. This week he's tried to ignore Saban, tried his best not to even mention his name.

Still, nothing seems to get Nick Saban out of your head.
You say you're over Saban, but you put up billboards with pictures of someone in an Alabama shirt being roasted in flames. There are T-shirts, buttons, signs expressing how "over" Saban you are. You talk about how you don't respect Saban and you never will.

You feel like a woman scorned, and as the saying goes, "Hell hath no fury ..." You can't help it, but you want Saban to feel that today when he shows up with his pretty new team in your state, your town, your stadium, to play your team.

And all of that is OK, says Dr. Josh Klapow, a clinical psychologist in UAB's School of Public Health. What you are feeling is natural.
"LSU fans are depressed, as if somebody really abandoned them and left them," Klapow said. "It's very much like a relationship. The more you were tied up in it, the more you feel bad if you get dumped.

"I can give you practical tips on how to handle that feeling, but I don't think that's what fans really want to hear. They want to be resentful. They need the villain. It adds to the thrill of the game.

"I think, for a lot of people, subconsciously they want to feel that resentment. It fires them up, having someone to be mad at, to throw their aggression at. It makes them more passionate about their team."
Ah, yes, passion. That's what college football is really all about, isn't it? Passion?

"For some fans, this is their life, their outlet," Klapow said. "This is what they have. This world of sports is more exciting, safer, more engaging than the rest of their lives. ... They hate Nick Saban the character, not Nick Saban the person, and that's an important distinction to make. It's fantasy, it's drama. And as long as it stays within the context of the game, and doesn't bleed over into their daily lives or Nick Saban's life, then it's a safe and healthy outlet for a fan."

But what if it doesn't stay within the context of the game? What about when it spills over into everyday life?

"If you're an LSU fan and you can honestly say, `If I saw Nick Saban on the side of the road in real need, I wouldn't reach out to him as a human being,' then you've got big problems, far bigger than whether Nick Saban left your team or not.

"Then," Klapow said, "You need to see a shrink."
And the doctor is ready, LSU fans, when you are. Ray Melick's column appears Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com.

The coach you loved, Nick Saban, gave you five of the best years of your recent football life, and then unceremoniously dumped you for another team.

You could get past the fact that the other team was in the NFL. It still hurt, but you could wish him well because as long as he stayed in the NFL, you could think of him fondly as long as he kept his distance.

But then Saban came back. Not all the way back to Baton Rouge, but back to live in the same neighborhood, the Southeastern Conference. He came back to coach at a rival school, Alabama.

And today, he comes back to your house with his pretty new team that is ranked No.1 in the country, a team that has become the talk of college football, the way you were not that long ago.

And it hurts. You want to love your head coach, Les Miles. But down deep, you know he's no Nick Saban.

Miles knows it, too. He's tried to get you over Saban by talking bad about Alabama. He's tried to get you over it by winning a national championship. This week he's tried to ignore Saban, tried his best not to even mention his name.

Still, nothing seems to get Nick Saban out of your head.

You say you're over Saban, but you put up billboards with pictures of someone in an Alabama shirt being roasted in flames. There are T-shirts, buttons, signs expressing how "over" Saban you are. You talk about how you don't respect Saban and you never will.

You feel like a woman scorned, and as the saying goes, "Hell hath no fury ..." You can't help it, but you want Saban to feel that today when he shows up with his pretty new team in your state, your town, your stadium, to play your team.

And all of that is OK, says Dr. Josh Klapow, a clinical psychologist in UAB's School of Public Health. What you are feeling is natural.

"LSU fans are depressed, as if somebody really abandoned them and left them," Klapow said. "It's very much like a relationship. The more you were tied up in it, the more you feel bad if you get dumped.

"I can give you practical tips on how to handle that feeling, but I don't think that's what fans really want to hear. They want to be resentful. They need the villain. It adds to the thrill of the game.

"I think, for a lot of people, subconsciously they want to feel that resentment. It fires them up, having someone to be mad at, to throw their aggression at. It makes them more passionate about their team."
Ah, yes, passion. That's what college football is really all about, isn't it? Passion?

"For some fans, this is their life, their outlet," Klapow said. "This is what they have. This world of sports is more exciting, safer, more engaging than the rest of their lives. ... They hate Nick Saban the character, not Nick Saban the person, and that's an important distinction to make. It's fantasy, it's drama. And as long as it stays within the context of the game, and doesn't bleed over into their daily lives or Nick Saban's life, then it's a safe and healthy outlet for a fan."

But what if it doesn't stay within the context of the game? What about when it spills over into everyday life?

"If you're an LSU fan and you can honestly say, `If I saw Nick Saban on the side of the road in real need, I wouldn't reach out to him as a human being,' then you've got big problems, far bigger than whether Nick Saban left your team or not.

"Then," Klapow said, "You need to see a shrink."

And the doctor is ready, LSU fans, when you are. Ray Melick's column appears Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Write him at rmelick@bhamnews.com.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:41 pm

This seems pretty acurate. My son is at the game and will be giving me live reports as to the behavior (or misbehavior) of the crowd. LSU will need to get out early if they can...if not it will probably be a long night for the purple and gold. The UL Cajuns are playing UTEP tonight and are undefeated in the Sun Belt. GO CAJUNS!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:42 am

TOUCHDOWN ALABAMAAAAAAAAAA...that one is for you Kenny. :D
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:54 pm

I would like to say that Bama’s win against LSU yesterday was great for us crazy Bama fans. But LSU played very hard and on many occasions had a chance to beat Bama. It was obvious that whoever had the football last would win the game. My prediction of a 42-10 win for Alabama was just delusional humor. I knew the game would be close and it was certainly that in every way.

Actually, I have always been an LSU fan since my days of long ago when I listened to LSU football on the radio with my Grandfather. My football allegiance over many decades has always been for the following (3) teams:

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. LSU

I have great respect for the football tradition at LSU. In January of 2004 I was in Costa Rica with two of my Navarre buddies, and was able to watch the National Championship game between LSU and Oklahoma on Satellite TV. LSU won the game and of course their coach was Nick Saban. Alabama was very fortunate to get Saban as our coach. Saban is a winner!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Sports”