3 Pensacolians picked for all-SEC Conference teams

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:25 pm

3 Pensacolians picked for All-SEC Conference teams
D.C. Reeves • dcreeves@pnj.com • July 21, 2010

Three Pensacola area college football players are expected to have huge seasons in 2010.

At least that's what their opposing coaches think.

Alabama running back Trent Richardson, Florida Atlantic running back Alfred Morris and Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green were named to their respective preseason all-conference teams on Tuesday.

Voted on by the leagues' coaches, the SEC and Sun Belt Conference released their preseason all-conference polls leading up to their respective media days this week.

Richardson, an Escambia High grad, burst on the scene as a true freshman at Alabama, becoming an integral part of a team that won the 2010 BCS National Championship.

Backing up Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, Richardson rushed for 751 yards and eight touchdowns. He was also named to the SEC All-Freshman team following the 2009 season.

Richardson was named second-team All-SEC and is one of only six sophomores named to the SEC's first or second teams.

Morris, a Pine Forest High grad and the News Journal's Most Valuable Player in 2006, was named to the All-Sun Belt Conference team.

The Sun Belt only votes on a first team.

Morris came out of nowhere to win the Sun Belt Conference rushing title last season. When several FAU running backs were injured in the preseason, Morris flew up FAU's depth chart, going from an unknown to finishing the year with 1,392 rushing yards, a school record.

Morris ran for at least 100 yards in seven games last season including the Owls' final four contests.

"It means a lot. I guess it means the (coaches) know what I'm capable of," Morris said of his all-conference selection. "I guess they're looking out for me and that's a good thing. They focus on me, and my other teammates shine. I'm fine with that."

Ladarius Green, a former standout wide receiver at Washington, became the Sun Belt's most dangerous tight end threat in 2009. Green caught 32 passes for 533 yards and two touchdowns.

He ranked third in the Sun Belt last season in receiving yards per league game (69.4) and had the conference's longest reception with a 91-yard touchdown catch against Troy. Despite missing three games due to injury, he was second team all-conference and a midseason addition to the Mackey Award (Best TE) Watch List.

Alabama opens the season against San Jose State, Florida Atlantic opens at Alabama-Birmingham while La.-Lafayette starts its year at Georgia. All games are slated for Sept. 4.

ImageAlabama’s Trent Richardson runs into the end zone for a score against Texas during the Citi BCS Championship game in Pasadena, CA at the Rose Bowl Stadium January 7, 2010. In case anyone has forgotten Alabama won the National Championship game. Will Alabama make another run this season for the National Championship?

You betcha!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Sports”