THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AT SUPER BOWLS

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:34 am

Even as a Christina fan, I have to heartily agree with this editorial:

2.8.11 | The national anthem isn’t a pop song
The Daily Caller
By Mark Corallo
February 8, 2011

The national anthem isn’t a pop song ~

I’ve heard quite a bit of criticism of Christina Aguilera’s embarrassing rendition of our national anthem prior to kick-off Sunday night. Most of the comments have been focused on her botching the lyrics. Fair enough.

But why should we be so critical of a pop star who probably has no idea of the origins of “The Star Spangled Banner” or any sense that the song’s designation as our national anthem makes it about all of us, not about her moment on the stage? She is no different than the dozens of pop stars who over the years have treated the national anthem like a tone poem open to their artistic interpretation, no matter how bad or inappropriate that interpretation may be. Granted, Christina’s was worse than several we’ve been forced to endure prior to past Super Bowls, World Series, NBA All Star Games and other sporting events, but not by much. By today’s standards, hers was pretty much par for the course. She just happened to bogey the lyrics as well as murder the tune.

Like most human beings, I love music. I have a tremendous amount of respect for musicians and performers of all kinds. Theirs is not an easy profession, no matter how much money, fame and success they attain. I couldn’t get through the day without them.

But as an Army veteran in a family of veterans, the national anthem is sacred to me. Not because it’s a beautiful melody, or because it’s a great piece of poetry. It is neither. It is sacrosanct because it is about the flag that represents the God-given freedom we all have defended. I still stand at attention when I hear it.

It is not a pop ballad or a soul tune. Nor is it a Broadway standard or a heavy metal song. It is not something that the American Idol judges should ever have to critique (though Randy would undoubtedly declare any rendition of it “pitchy”). It is a song about the courage and devotion shown by a group of Americans who in the course of a raging British naval bombardment refused to let the Stars and Stripes fall, no matter the cost to life and limb. And it became a song about the kind of nation we have been and still are, through war and peace, boom and bust. It is about the never-say-die, never-give-in, never-yield attitude that has been the hallmark of our national character and our military’s steadfast defense of freedom from Valley Forge to Fort McHenry to St. Lo to Inchon to Baghdad and Kandahar. It’s about firemen and policemen running into the World Trade Center on 9/11. It’s about that flag flying proudly and defiantly over the land of the free and the home of the brave.

So, with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten — straight up, no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don’t make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love — not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from the costumes, the makeup and the entourages.

Sing “The Star Spangled Banner” with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you.

Mark Corallo is the owner of Corallo Media Strategies, Inc, an Alexandria, Virginia Public Relations firm.

http://www.ashcroftgroupllc.com/news/th ... -pop-song/

So, my prayer is that Christina as well as all the other future performers of the National Anthem will read this and take it as constructive criticism.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:11 am

Well said! Have always disliked the "artistic styling" - just sing it straight!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Mark B.M.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 am

What about this version?

[youtube][/youtube]
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:05 am

Now, THAT is presenting the Nat'l Anthem as it should be done! MAJESTIC!

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:35 am

That was excellent! I always get a little lump in my throat when I hear it sung with so much respect and dignity.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 am

What I want to know is who and what age are the people who book the talent for the Super Bowl pre-game and halftime activities. Every single year it seemingly is someone who appeals to the teen/young twenties age group. Do these people not understand that there are just as many fans of older ages that actually appreciate someone or a group with actual talent.

This Christina Agulara or however you say or spell her name is possibly the most untalented person I have heard. To not only sing it horribly, but to forget the words and in front of service people...is almost unforgiveable. She is worthless!
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks Mark!

Easy to see and hear the respect and honor shown by the combined choirs. The National Anthem should always produce pride and a tear to our eyes

That helped make up for what had to be the worst singing of our National Anthem at a national event, ever. She obviosly spent no time in preperation and definitely did not show our Anthem the respect it deserves. I totally agree with the posted editorial.

But, P'cola, I don't know if we can blame her entirely. I feel her performance, or lack there of, is a symbol of our time. The youth, these days, are not allowed the teaching of the honor and respect that most of us were through our school (growing, maturing) years.

Regretfully our acting President seems to also be a symbol of the present lack of respect, be it his youth, what taught, people he surrounded himself with in his growing years, lack of real life experience, idealology, whatever. He should show pride and respect of our Country, rather than showing, teaching, the opposite to our youth.

We should all strive to get "God and Country" back in the lives of our youth through school, family, and especially our teachers and elected officials, many who seem to, in recent years, be striving to remove pride, respect, reverence, and honor for our Country and it's symbols from our lives rather than reinforce them.

The youth that end up at our military acadamies go there with a heart felt pride and respect of our Country and it shines in thier performance of the Anthem and the noticed reaction of their audience as well. What a shame that does not show in all of us as I feel it did in my growing years. I also remember the time it would have been hard to find an elected official that had not also served thier Country in other ways before being elected to a meaningful political office.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Absolutely David....which is why I am wondering if it is some 20 something with an MBA, working at the networks booking this crappy talent. It is the, "lack of" leading the, "lack of." This pathetic excuse for a leader, has this exact attitude and so does is angry wife. No dignity, respect or honor amongst any of them.

One of those service men should have removed her sorry a*# right there on the spot and left the singing to the crowd. Literally picked her up and removed her from that stage!
linhely

Wed May 25, 2011 9:01 pm

This Christina Agulara or however you say or spell her name is possibly the most untalented person I have heard. To not only sing it horribly, but to forget the words and in front of service people...is almost unforgiveable. She is worthless!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, I couldn't go so far as to say anyone is worthless ... but she certainly did mutilate the National Anthem!! I hope this was a turning point for the positive in her performance career, at least ... to make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak! Even our worse mistakes, sins, errors in judgment, etc., can have redemptive consequences if our hearts are teachable!

A.G.
AngelGirl

Return to “Sports”