SEC Talk: "The National College Football League"

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:38 am

SEC West ....1,2, and 3 in the BCS poll?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:38 am

Never happened before SB! Pretty cool!

My school, U of H (Houston) is #8.....unheard of in 20+ years. Now would the Cougs be able to stay on the field with those three......maybe offensively at least for a while. I am proud of them and hope they can win out the next two games and make the Sugar or Orange Bowl.

Keenum for the Heisman. No other player in college football has numbers he does. He is at the very top.

The most exciting, dynamic college player bar none......RG III at Baylor. He may very well be leading now. Luck is NOT in my opinion the best player in college football.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Trent Richardson
Alabama’s Greatest Running Back Ever

PensacolaKid,

I respect your opinion my friend, but there is no way that there is a better football player week in and week out in college football than Trent Richardson, the greatest Alabama running back of all time. He holds this year the most touchdown(s) record in a single year for over 100 years of Alabama football tradition (13 National Championships). Yes, there are some players that have a good game every once in a while in their powder puff conferences. But, they don’t play in the SEC and they ain’t no Trent Richardson – not by a long shot.

I will prove my point in the NFL draft next year when Richardson is Number 1 pick in the first round.

ROLL TIDE!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 am

Richardson racks up award nominations

Alabama running back and Escambia High grad a finalist for Doak Walker and Maxwell honors

Associated Press
Written by Jason Blakeney

Escambia High graduate and Alabama running back Trent Richardson has earned a spot as a finalist for two of the nation's most prestigious awards. He is among the final three candidates for the Doak Walker Award — given to the nation's top running back — and the Maxwell Award — given to college football's player of the year.

Both awards will be presented during the Home Depot College Football Awards on Dec. 8 in Orlando. Richardson is also considered a top contender for the Heisman Trophy on Dec. 10 in New York City.

"It is something I have dreamed of my entire life to be a finalist for the Doak Walker Award and the Maxwell Award," Richardson said in a statement. "I have to thank my teammates, especially the offensive line, because I wouldn't have this opportunity without their help. I am very proud to be a finalist and blessed to be put in this situation."

Richardson, a junior, has run for 1,380 yards and 20 touchdowns this season. The 20 rushing scores are the most in a single season in Alabama history.

Only former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow (23 in 2007) has more touchdowns on the ground in a single season in Southeastern Conference history. Richardson is tied with 2010 Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton for second on the list. His 34 career rushing touchdowns ties him for 16th in conference history. Fellow Escambia High alumnus Emmitt Smith had 36 in his three-year career at Florida.

Richardson's 132 points this season are tied for the fourth most scored in SEC history with former Tide kicker Leigh Tiffin. Only LSU's Colt David (147 in 2007), Alabama's Shaun Alexander (144 in 1999) and Tebow (138 in 2007) have scored more in a season.

Alabama faces Auburn at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Richardson's final regular-season game of the year — and perhaps his Alabama career. The junior is eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft. Alabama could play two more games, including the SEC Championship and a bowl game.

Richardson is the only player who is a finalist for both awards. Stanford junior quarterback Andrew Luck and Boise State senior quarterback Kellen Moore are the other finalists for the Maxwell Award. Wisconsin junior Montee Ball and Oregon junior LaMichael James are the other Doak Walker finalists.

Richardson is a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award, also to be given out on Dec. 8. The five finalists for the honor will be announced Nov. 30.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 am

Kenny,

Absolutely! Trent is a heck of a football player and I enjoy watching him. However, without hesitation I can tell you that the number one pick will be, Andrew Luck from my high school. The scouts and pros are drooling over this kid.

Now a buddy of mine and I were talking just the other day about what is the criteria for the Heisman?

Is it THE most valuable player? If so, how do you define, valuable?
Is it the person with the best stats? Case Keenum
Is it the person who plays against the stronger competition? Trent Richardson
Is it stats plus record?
Does it have to do with all these plus ranking?

Just about all the candidates meet some of these but none of them meet all of them. Now, if Trent had 2000 to 2200 yards right now or even 1800 with Auburn yet to play......one would have to probably give him the lead.

I am hoping they don't give it to Luck, simply because the scouts are drooling and he was leading the race for several weeks. He has had 3 straight weeks where we was mediocre at best. Although, he is like a Tebow and is a winner.

How do you define the Heisman winner?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:40 am

Regardless of who wins the Heisman, Trophy Richardson and Luck will be in the top 3. The question is who will be the 3rd candidate. If Richardson has a great performance against Auburn on Saturday it will help his chances.

As you know, the Iron Bowl with Auburn and Alabama is always up for grabs - no matter what their records are. Bama playing Auburn at Auburn will not be a cake-walk for Bama. It's going to be a great game as always.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Alabama can sit and watch

In yet another season of SEC dominance nationally, who would have guessed that a team that didn’t even win its division is probably in the best shape of anybody?

Coach Nick Saban and Alabama are likely to play for the national title despite not winning the SEC crown.Alabama gets to sit at home this week, rest up, heal up -- and barring some unforeseen shake-up in the final BCS standings on Sunday -- will gladly accept an invitation to play in the Allstate BCS National Championship Game.

Not only that, but the Crimson Tide will have one more game to scout the team they will almost certainly face in New Orleans on Jan. 9.

LSU, No. 1 this week in the BCS standings, goes against Georgia on Saturday in the SEC championship game.

Something says Alabama’s Nick Saban will definitely be watching this game after saying a week ago he had no plans to watch the Arkansas-LSU game.

Who knows? He might even show up in Atlanta as a guest television analyst.

It’s an odd feeling for Alabama’s coaches and players, to not be preparing for a game this week. Plus, SEC championships are never anything to thumb your nose at, not when three top-10 teams nationally reside in your same division.

Sure, there’s a risk factor involved in playing another game when it comes to injuries or anything else.

But given the choice, Alabama would much rather be playing for an SEC championship as opposed to not playing for one.

Playing for championships has long been a part of Alabama’s DNA.

Nonetheless, when the Tide reflect on the 2011 season 10 or 15 years from now, they’re not going to remember who won the SEC title. What they’re going to remember is who won the national title.

And the way it looks now, Alabama is going to get a chance to win its second crystal trophy in the past three years without even playing in the SEC championship game.

Nothing is for certain, and there’s concern by some in SEC circles that voters will decide at the last minute that they simply don’t want to see an Alabama-LSU rematch and arrange their final ballots accordingly.

There might be some of that, but not enough to drop Alabama out of those top two spots in the final BCS standings.

Rest assured that you’re going to hear plenty of pundits over the next week ranting about how Alabama doesn’t deserve a chance to play in the national title game because the Crimson Tide couldn’t even win their own division.

They will tell you that winning your conference championship should be a prerequisite for having an opportunity to play for the national title.

Most of those same people probably want a national playoff, too, which is a contradiction. That’s because a playoff would almost certainly include teams that aren’t conference champions and would also give us rematches from time to time.

The purpose of the BCS is to match the two best teams in the country in a national title game. There’s nothing in the bylaws that says you have to win a conference title to be eligible.

I think we all agree at this point that LSU is clearly the No. 1 team. My question is this: If Alabama’s not No. 2, who is?

Alabama’s only loss was to LSU … by three points in overtime. The Crimson Tide have beaten everybody else they’ve played by 16 or more points. In their past seven games, their defense has given up just four touchdowns.

If anybody’s going to beat LSU in New Orleans on Jan. 9, it’s Alabama.

Nobody ever said the BCS system was perfect or even fair.

But it’s the system of record in college football, and while some might scream that Alabama is beating the system, all the Crimson Tide have done is play the game that somebody else created.

And the irony of all ironies is that they’re going to get to New Orleans without playing another game on the field.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Report: Kurt Freitag has committed to Alabama for 2012

Published: Monday, December 05, 2011, 7:03 PM
By Izzy Gould | Tuscaloosa Bureau

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Buford (Georgia) tight end Kurt Freitag has committed to Alabama, according to Scout.com.

Freitag chose the Crimson Tide over Florida, and will sign in February.

Freitag joins high school teammate linebacker Dillon Lee, who committed to Alabama in May.

"It has really always been those two schools for me," Freitag told Scout.com. "I changed my mind a few times between them, but I just kept feeling Alabama was the best fit. They are a strong running team, but they know how to use their tight ends too. I like their balance.

Freitag (6-4, 240 pounds) is the 21st verbal commitment for Alabama.

Collierville (Tennessee) offensive tackle Brandon Hill was the most recent '12 commitment in November.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Former 4-Star QB Recruit Zeke Pike Won't Return to Auburn

Auburn officially lost one of its quarterbacks on Wednesday.

The Auburn Tigers began fall practice on Wednesday without freshman quarterback Zeke Pike, as Charles Goldberg of Al.com reported. Not only will he be absent from fall practice, but Pike will not be stepping foot on Auburn’s campus again, according to Justin Hokanson of Rivals.com:

Gene Chizik confirms suspended QB Zeke Pike will not return to the Auburn program.

Today’s news comes after Auburn coach Gene Chizik previously sent home the true freshman after getting nailed for public intoxication earlier this summer.

Pike enrolled in the university last January to have the opportunity to participate in spring practice, and he seemed to be on the right track to one day become the starter.

Then he was arrested and sent home back at the end of June, according to Scout.com. Here is what coach Chizik had to say about the 6’6’’, 225-pound QB two weeks ago (via Al.com):

We have certain standards and expectations of our guys. That's why I sent him home. Right now, he's at home and he'll remain there. We'll continue to evaluate that. We're in communication.

With Pike out of the picture, there are now three QBs on the Auburn roster under scholarship. The list includes sophomore Kiehl Frazier, junior Clint Moseley and freshman Jonathan Wallace.

The competition for this year’s starting gig will come down to Frazier and Moseley, but the long-term answer was supposed to be Pike.

Plans have changed, and now the future of a Scout.com 4-star recruit is in serious limbo before ever taking a single snap at the collegiate level.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 am

SEC announces $289.4 million payout to schools, a 118% increase in 4 years

Jon Solomon | jsolomon@al.com

DESTIN, FL. -- The SEC announced today a record-high $289.4 million distribution to its 14 members for 2012-13, an average of $20.7 million per member.

This was the first year for Texas A&M and Missouri, and the 19-percent increase in total revenue distribution from 2011-12 includes new television revenue due to expansion. The SEC's revenue distribution total had increased by 11 percent between 2011 and 2012 prior to the new schools.

The average payout for schools is slightly up from last year. The SEC announced an average payout last year of $20.1 million, and tax records show the actual amount was $20.4 million. The $289.4 million announced today does not include about $15 million retained by the schools for bowl participation and an NCAA academic grant.

"We passed out a bit of money to folks," SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said. "We hope to be able to tell you that every year from here on out. You must remember that we're dividing by 14, so that's a pretty healthy number."

How much has the SEC's wealth grown? Just four years ago, the SEC distributed $132.5 million ($11 million per school), meaning the conference's payout has increased by 118 percent since its current ESPN and CBS deals began in 2009-10.

The SEC's revenue figures to increase substantially in the coming years. The new playoff and bowl money will increase the pot, and the SEC Network should add money when it launches in 2014.

"I use two Ps words when I'm asked by athletic directors and presidents (about the SEC Network's worth)," Slive said. "There's great potential and it's premature to say how much."
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Good news, Georgia fans. Your defensive coordinator in 2014 will not be Todd Grantham.

In one of the surprise moves of the offseason, Grantham bolted Athens in favor of Louisville and new head coach Bobby Petrino over the weekend. That qualifies as addition by subtraction for the Bulldogs, because nothing Grantham has done at Georgia indicates that he's capable of putting together a championship-level defense.

The bad news, though, is Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart won't be replacing him in the classic city.

Smart is one of the hottest names on the coaching front after leading Alabama's defense into the top five nationally in total defense in each of the last six seasons.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:03 pm

ARKANSAS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR SEARCH
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/A ... ard-171281

Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema now has another spot on his coaching staff to fill with Ohio State's hiring of defensive coordinator Chris Ash.

One place he will probably look is on his staff to linebacker's coach Randy Shannon. The former head coach at Miami served as defensive coordinator at Miami from 2001-06 before becoming head coach in 2007. In six years as defensive coordinator at Miami, five of those seasons his defense ranked top-10 nationally.

In the six seasons as defensive coordinator, Shannon's defense had seven All-America players and he has tutored eight other All-Americans as a position coach. As a head coach and defensive coordinator, Shannon has coached 14 defensive players who were selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Shannon joined Bielema's staff prior to the 2013 season when he came over from TCU where he was coaching the linebackers. Shannon is also a noted recruiter in South Florida.

Here's a look at three others who might emerge as candidates for the Arkansas job:

Ron Zook, CBS TV

Zook is the former head coach at Florida and Illinois. He and Bielema have a very good relationship. Zook, according to sources, is wanting to return to coaching and Bielema has shown a knack for getting coaches promoted from his staff. Zook is known as an outstanding recruiter as well. He was defensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints from 2000-01, at Florida 1991-93, Virginia Tech 1987 and Kansas 1983. Zook has extensive duty coaching the secondary.

Dave Huxtable, DC North Carolina State

Huxtable worked for Bielema at Wisconsin in 2011 where he coached linebackers. In 2012, he was defensive coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh where his defense ranked 16th in the NCAA in total defense (325.8), 21st in scoring defense (19.7), 24th in rushing defense (129.1) and 25th in passing defense (196.8). Huxtable has been a defensive coordinator at Independence Community College from 1983-84, Western Kentucky in 1989, Georgia Tech in 1996-97, North Carolina in 2002 and Central Florida from 2008-10. He served as defensive coordinator and coached linebackers at North Carolina State this season. The drawback with him would be most of his experience is coaching linebackers and Ash coached safeties.

Andy Buh, LB California

While Buh would be very unlikely as defensive coordinator considering he was just relieved of those duties and reassigned after one year at California, Buh did coach defensive backs in 1999 at Nevada. Buh coached with Bielema at Wisconsin in 2012 where he coached linebackers. He was offered the linebacker's job at Arkansas, but opted for the coordinator job at Cal. However, Bielema and Buh remain close and he's someone who might be worked onto the defensive staff if Shannon is promoted to defensive coordinator. Buh has also coached at such schools as Stanford, Fresno State and San Diego State.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm

What AT&T's Purchase of DirecTV Means for SEC Network

By Barrett Sallee , SEC Football Lead Writer May 19, 2014
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2068 ... ec-network

A move that could revolutionize the television industry could have a secondary effect on college football—particularly the SEC Network.

AT&T announced over the weekend that it will acquire DirecTV for $48.5 billion, in a ground-breaking move that will revolutionize the television industry.

"This is a unique opportunity that will redefine the video entertainment industry and create a company able to offer new bundles and deliver content to consumers across multiple screens—mobile devices, TVs, laptops, cars and even airplanes," said AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson in a press release.

This presents an interesting scenario for the SEC Network.

The 24-hour cable network hits the air on Aug. 14, and it already has a deal in place with AT&T U-Verse. Noticeably absent from its list of current providers is DirecTV.

Does the acquisition of the deal make it more likely that DirecTV customers will get the SEC Network before its launch?

Of course.

This deal is all about synergy and bundling, and if the two companies have similar carriage deals in place with networks, then achieving that synergy is far more likely. But that's more of a long-term issue that will be solved eventually.

Fans of SEC football programs—all of which will compete on the SEC Network during the first four weeks of the 2014 season—aren't interested in long-term solutions. They want answers now.

Justin Connolly, ESPN's Sr. Vice President of college networks, told Hugh Kellenberger of the Jackson (Miss) Clarion-Ledger last week that the then-rumors of the deal wouldn't have much impact.

“Any proposed merger of that size will take a whole lot of working out from a regulatory standpoint, so I don't think the marketplace will change materially between now and then,” Connolly told Kellenberger.

Now that the acquisition is becoming more of a reality, ESPN and the SEC Network are playing things close to the vest.

"We have great relationships with all of the distributors involved but are not going to comment on these deals," the network said in an emailed statement.

As Clay Travis of FoxSports.com points out, AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV won't have an impact on ongoing carriage negotiations.

Until the deal is closed, the two companies are independent. So the pressing issue of whether you'll be able to watch the South Carolina vs. Texas A&M game on Aug. 28 if you're a DirecTV customer is still very much that—a pressing issue.

If you were worried about the deal before, you should be just as worried now. But there's still plenty of time between now an the launch of the SEC Network for deals to be made. It already has deals in place with AT&T, DISH Network, Google Fiber and other rural carriers, which total around 19-20 million based on end-of-the-year reports, and will grow as Google Fiber expands its customer base.

That's impressive in and of itself, considering the Big Ten Network had just over 16 million upon its launch, according to a release on Penn State's website.

There's already pressure on providers to get the SEC Network, and while the AT&T merger won't have a direct impact, that pressure still exists. When the announcement of the SEC Network's existence took place in May of 2013, AT&T U-Verse was already on board, giving interested fans the option of signing up with the growing cable provider. The deal with DISH only created more pressure from both a local and national perspective.

These things take time, and when the rubber meets the road and the network gets closer to launch, it's hard to imagine the SEC Network not being picked up by all major providers.

Unlike it's Pac-12 counterpart, which is wholly owned by the conference, the SEC Network is owned by ESPN—which can leverage countless other networks under the Disney umbrella to get the network carried.

SEC Media Days from July 14-17 in Hoover, Ala. always serves as the de facto kickoff to the college football season. This year, it will also act as a one-month warning and a week-long infomercial for the SEC Network. That month between Media Days and the launch of the network is crunch time for your provider.

You know you can get SEC Network and they know you can get it elsewhere, so there's not much to worry about quite yet.

* Barrett Sallee is the lead SEC college football writer for Bleacher Report. Quotes were obtained firsthand unless otherwise noted.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 29, 2014 8:04 am

Here's a sneak peek at the SEC Network's television set

The SEC Network's studios in Charlotte resemble ESPN's television sets. (Photo courtesy ESPN)

Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com

SEC Network set in Charlotte. (Photo courtesy ESPN)

DESTIN, Florida -- The SEC Network's launch is nearly two months away, but plans are coming to fruition here at the SEC spring meetings.

ESPN released artist renderings of what its set will look like for SEC Network shows based at its studios in Charlotte. The studio resembles other ESPN sets.

"It was important that the set had its own distinct look and feel, while still maintaining the quality and technology that viewers have come to expect from an ESPN network," said Stephanie Druley, the SEC Network's vice president of production. "The set is designed to give us three unique environments. It will have touch screen technology and multiple monitors and lighting which can be changed to colors reflective of the 14 different schools. It will be a great new home for the coverage of all of the SEC member institutions and its' 21 sports."

Construction on the set will be completed in July.

The network launches Aug. 14 and all programming will be produced by ESPN.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri May 30, 2014 7:44 am

Can't wait! Could possibly be the second best TV show. Secondly only to Duck Dynasty! Now there is some television viewin' right there.

Return to “Sports”