Heisman Watch 2011

ALL SPORTS: College Football, College Basketball, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR and other sports.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

LUCK
2011 SEASON
PASSING
RAT YDS TD INT CMP%
167.5 3170 35 9 70.0

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
153 2 3.6

GRIFFIN III
2011 SEASON
PASSING
RAT YDS TD INT CMP%
192.3 3998 36 6 72.4

RUSHING
YDS TD YPC
644 9 4.0

Between these two QB's no comparison as to who whould be in the front for the Heisman.

ESPN Experts' Poll
Nov. 29, 2011
Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Trent Richardson RB Alabama Jr. 8 5 1 0 1 64
Andrew Luck QB Stanford Jr. 5 6 3 0 1 59
Robert Griffin III QB Baylor Jr. 2 1 4 6 1 39
Case Keenum QB Houston Sr. 0 1 3 6 2 27
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I must have lost my mind this morning thinking that Oklahoma State severves a shot of playing LSU for the National Championship. Hell no they are not deserving! They would lose to LSU by 40 points and be lucky to score 7 points. Again, the best two teams in the country is LSU and Bama. In less than 2 hours common sense will prevail and the two teams will be LSU and Bama.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:33 am

Well....you were right Kenny! Although, with the exception of Bama grads and fans, no one wants to see this rematch. I do believe Ok St. showed they could absolutely play with LSU. Now.....anything but Les Miles and LSU. Sorry SouthernBreeze!

ROOOOOOOLL TIIIIIIIDE!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:53 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:I must have lost my mind this morning thinking that Oklahoma State deverves a shot of playing LSU for the National Championship.They would lose to LSU by 40 points and be lucky to score 7 points. Again, the best two teams in the country is LSU and Bama. In less than 2 hours common sense will prevail and the two teams will be LSU and Bama.
COMMON SENSE PREVAILED!

Alabama and LSU are the best 2 teams in the country and deserve a re-match.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:52 am

No need to be sorry PK. My only tie to LSU is that I have a son currently attending LSU. My team is the University Of Lafayette Louisiana Rajun Cajuns who will be playing San Diego St in the New Orleans Carrier Bowl. Their first bowl appearance since 1970. The Tigers do have a good team as Les Miles has been able to keep it together. He also has a history of winning when he has a lot of time to prepare. I do think that in the first meeting that Alabama outplayed LSU with the exception of a couple of plays that determined the outcome. This should be another good one!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Alabama's Trent Richardson is a 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist

Published: Monday, December 05, 2011, 5:22 PM
By Izzy Gould | Tuscaloosa Bureau

Alabama running back Trent Richardson was named a finalist for the 2011 Heisman Trophy.

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Trent Richardson was named a Heisman Trophy finalist Monday afternoon, the second Alabama player in three seasons in the running for college football's most recognizable individual accolade.

"I'm looking forward to it," Richardson said last week. "I wish everybody could go and represent this team. I'm going to try to represent it hard and try to represent it the best I can and speak well and try to answer the questions as good as I can while I'm down there. And be relaxed and have fun when I'm down there. It is a fun trip at the same time. I'm really trying to go down there and have fun and make sure that at the end of the day, win or lose, that my name's been mentioned as a Heisman candidate."

Other finalists include LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, and Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.

The winner will be announced Saturday night at 7 p.m. CT at the Best Buy Theater in New York City's Times Square on ESPN.

Richardson, an Alabama junior running back, rushed for 1,583 yards with 20 touchdowns. He also had 27 catches for 327 yards and three touchdowns. He had nine 100-yard games and rushed for a career-high 203 yards in a 42-14 win over rival Auburn on Nov. 26.
Richardson at one stretch had six consecutive 100-yard performances. He had seven games with two touchdowns or more.

Richardson also is a finalist for the Walter Camp Award, the Maxwell Award and the Doak Walker Award. He was named the SEC's Offensive Player of the Year on Monday.

Mathieu, who was named the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year on Monday. He had 70 tackles, 1.5 sacks, two interceptions, four fumble recoveries including two for touchdowns, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles and three quarterback hurries. He also had 26 punt returns for 420 yards, and two touchdowns.

Griffin, a junior, threw for 3,998 yards, 36 touchdowns and just six interceptions. He also ran for 644 yards and nine touchdowns. In wins against Iowa State and Kansas, Griffin III rushed for at least 100 yards, and threw for at least 200 with at least one rushing touchdown and one passing. In three wins he threw for at least 300 yards, and five touchdowns. In a 45-28 win over Oklahoma, he threw for 479 yards and four touchdowns with 72 rushing yards.

Luck, a senior, threw for 3,170 yards, 35 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also ran 43 times for 153 yards, and two touchdowns. In a 53-30 loss to Oregon on Nov. 12, he threw for 256 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. In a 56-48 overtime win at USC, Luck was 29-for-40 passing for 330 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Ball, who ranked fourth nationally is rushing, led the nation with 1,759 yards and 32 touchdowns. He also had 20 catches for 255 yards and six touchdowns.

Richardson is the second Alabama finalist in three years. Former Tide running back Mark Ingram won the Heisman in 2009, the first to do so in program history.

Richardson, who has a fear of flying, was asked if he has ever traveled to New York.

"No, this is my first time, and it's going to be crazy," Richardson said. "I know it is. I saw when Mark was there, how the Bama fans were. I know they're going to be supporting us everywhere we go. I just really can't wait to getting up there."

* Izzy Gould covers Alabama football for the Mobile Press-Register, The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times and al.com.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:31 am

After watching the espn awards show last night in Orlanda (Disney World) and after reading an article this morning in the liberal Houston Chronicle, without a moments hesitation, I believe it is confirmed that the 2011 winner will be Andrew Luck.

As I have stated previously, I do not believe he is the best, most exciting, most dynamic player, nor did he have the best stats. As far as quarterbacks go, he was 3rd in that area.

However, he won the Johnny Unitas Quarterback of the Year award and the coveted Maxwell Award last night. In addition, the new stink is that Peyton Manning and Luck would not be able to co-exist on the Indianapolis Colts. Peyton is at the end of his career and as the paper stated, Luck will start the first game next year, unlike just about every quarterback who has ever lived. He is that intelligent and has that much ability. Is he going to be willing to sit on the bench for 2-4 more years before getting his chance. NO! Does Indy want to trade him? Heck NO! They want him.

So, I now believe he will be the Heisman winner. In the new order.....

Luck, Griffin, Ball, Richardson and Honey Badger.

Kenny, sorry brother.....I do believe Richardson will now be relegated to fourth because of the publicity and play of Ball last week and because he has better stats than Richardson.

My pick........Robert Griffin III.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:14 am

I spoke with my dear friend last night who is the Offensive Coordinator for Sam Houston State (Div 1AA). They are on espn today in the Quarterfinals and are the number 1 seed in the 1AA Championship series. I asked him, who he thought would be the Heisman winner since he is actually in the game, no pun intended.

His response (just like mine).......Robert Griffin III should win but because the media is so in love with Andrew Luck.......III will come up short to Luck. According to him and his contacts in the college game, on Thursday, RGIII had a 500 vote lead. We'll see but my money still says Luck is the winner but III should be!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 am

Kenny,

Would you like to take me out for the steak dinner during the week or on the weekend? :wink:
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 am

You won the bet. The next time you are at Navarre Beach you select the place and time for your steak dinner.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 am

Ahhh, Kenny.....just being in your presence is reward enough!

I am glad they came to their senses and actually awarded it to the best Quarterback, at least as it pertains to what the Heisman is supposed to be about. I thought RGIII was dynamic, exciting and someone that you don't see come along very often. It would not surprise me to see him succeed greatly in the NFL, as will all the candidates this year.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 am

Robert Griffin III won the Heisman Trophy

Chase Goodbread
TideSports.com Senior Writer

NEW YORK | Robert Griffin III won the Heisman Trophy Saturday by a runaway margin, preventing University of Alabama running back Trent Richardson from capturing the award. But while Richardson would have liked nothing more than to have brought the Heisman to the Crimson Tide for the second time in three years, he was quick to praise Griffin in defeat.

"I don't feel like I lost anything," Richardson said. "There wasn't anything to lose. It happened like it happened. (Griffin) is a great player. He did his thing this year and I'm happy for him. I'm happy for everybody that came. I'm just happy to be here and have my name in this race."

Griffin, the quarterback at Baylor, secured 1,687 total points in the voting, while Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck earned 1,407 points and Richardson finished third with 978. Wisconsin running back Montee Ball finished with 348 points, while Tyrann Mathieu of LSU got 327 points.

Two years ago, Mark Ingram edged out Stanford's Toby Gerhart for the honor, and according to Richardson, Ingram subsequently told his understudy that his chance at the Heisman would be forthcoming.

That chance materialized into a place among five finalists for Richardson, and the event-filled trip to New York City that goes with it. But when the votes were tallied, Richardson didn't have as much support for the bronze prize as Ingram had enjoyed two years earlier.

"It's nerve-racking," Richardson said of the hours leading up to the announcement. "It's a lot of nerves. I'm glad to get this over with so I can get to this ball game."

The ball game Richardson is now focused on is the BCS National Championship Game against LSU Jan. 9, something he said will get his full attention now that the Heisman Trophy race is behind him. Richardson won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back in Orlando earlier in the week.

Richardson said he received over 100 congratulatory text messages after the announcement, despite the fact that he finished third. Two of those, he said, came from former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. and former NFL All-Pro Emmitt Smith. Both are both from Richardson's hometown of Pensacola, Fla., and have maintained a relationship for years.

"They were just telling me, 'Hey, you did a good job,' complementing me and saying how they're proud of me," Richardson said.

Richardson and Luck were considered season-long candidates for the Heisman, while Griffin III, Mathieu and Ball did not figure into the Heisman conversation until their stellar seasons began to unfold. Griffin carried five of the six Heisman balloting regions, losing only the Far West region, which was taken by Luck. Even the South region, which figured to be Richardson's to lose, went to Griffin. The Baylor junior threw for 3,998 yards in 12 games this year, amassing 36 touchdown passes, throwing only six interceptions, while completing 72.4 percent of his passes. ?He added 644 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on the ground as Baylor (9-3) defeated Oklahoma and Texas in the same year for the first time in program history.

"I could feel my heart pounding," Griffin said of his feeling after winning the award. "I tried to go as slow as I could with the speech."

As for Richardson, with one game left to play, he already has set the UA record for rushing touchdowns in a season (20) and needs only 76 yards to pass Ingram for the single-season rushing record of 1,658.

Whatever disappointment Richardson may have felt not to win, it was mitigated by the fact that he never considered the Heisman as an individual award in the first place.?After all, how much disappointment could there be if the trophy would have only been partly his anyway?

"It's not about me," Richardson declared about an hour before the announcement. "It's about my offensive line. It's about my quarterback. It's about my defense. It's about my receivers. It's about my special teams. It's about my coaches. It's about Pensacola. It's about Tuscaloosa."

Reach Chase Goodbread at chase.goodbread@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0196.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 pm

We Alabama fans demand a re-match for the Heisman. That's what the Democrats do when they lose an election to a Republican. The Democrats demand a re-count of the votes and keep demanding a recount until they win. On second thought a re-match for the Heisman is not necessary. I wouldn't want to act like a Democrat.

Seriously, Griffin really deserved to be the 2012 Heisman winner. I really like this young quarterback from Baylor that is humble and articulate. He should be a great role model for black kids. Just an outstanding athlete!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 pm

This is the steak that I'm going to cook to perfection for the PensacolaKid for winning our bet that Trent Richardson would win the Heisman.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 am

I agree with you Kenny. Some might say that, what you offered and what I agree with, may sound racists. Not a chance. Blacks have a lot of negative issues within the race and it is really evident with many of these kids in basketball and football, year end and year out. Look at the incidents in college football every single year.

Robert Griffin III is a humble young man, articulate (I believe he is actually applied to Law School), puts Baylor and his teammates above himself and gives credit where credit is due.....God first and then his mom and dad. Statistics show that right there is the main issue with many. The fact that he has a mom and dad both in the house, made all the difference. Frankly, I believe him to be a role model for any kid and especially black kids.

Return to “Sports”