Oil Spill on the way to Our Beach!!

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Good post houstonkiss and AG.
Tourists should not panic by this spill. We survived Ivan and Dennis. NB will be here to enjoy and the beach will be as clean as we can make it.

The main problem is the long range environmental inpact of this spill. There are 4000 well in the Gulf. The industry cannot afford for this tradegy to not be a high priority to make safer. Some are calling for BP to fail and for political revenge. That is not the answer.
I willl arrive from KS to NB on 05-05-10 for 13 days. I hope the tourists do not get spooked by all the naysayers in the news and talking heads on TV. I will spend as much time on the west end of NB beach as I can. If necessary I will get rakes and a bucket. I might even spring for a front end loader if possible but that would be prohibited I am sure.
We in buisness in FL will not stand by and idly let our tourist industry sink over this tragedy.
We do need a long range energy policy in this Nation and I believe www.pickensplan.con is a good start for our environment, national defense and economy. Lets do something long range for our kids and grandkids sake on this energy issue. 8)
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 2:51 pm

kftw wrote:I have been lurking & planning our visit to Navarre Beach for many months now. We're due to arrive May 16th & we're beyond the period to get a refund on our stay. At this time our plan is still to arrive on the 16th. My husband has lung problems & the only thing which would make us not come would be the air quality.

Although we are very sad to not be able to see your area at it's best. We are even more sad with the effect this will have on your community's economy. That's the main reason we are still going to make a try to be there. Just a drop in the bucket but the drops can add up & help.
We have our list of sites to see & restaurants to visit. Thanks for all the great information one can obtain from this site.

We'll be watching your daily reports. Our prayers are with you.

karen
thank you, kftw, for continuing to support NB!

and you too, navarrebeacher!

i will continue to pray that the winds stay northerly, and that they find a way to stop the leak quickly!
B&B in Atlanta

Sun May 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I have also been a lurker on this board for a couple of years and just started posting. (the frequent pictures help get us through until our next trip) My husband and I are scheduled to be down there for our annual May visit on May 8th. The odor is the only thing that will keep us away as well and if needed we plan to bring some old clothes in the event there is anything we could volunteer to do.

We have been praying for the gulf region and wildlife and will continue to do so. God is still in control of the winds and the surf and we are hoping for the best.

Becky (& Bob)
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 2:59 pm

good to hear, becky! :D

and thank you for your post, angelgirl - it's good to not hear only worst-case scenarios.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm with you gailjean and Navarrebeacher .... all this "panic peddling" is scaring people away. We don't know if or when the spill will hit our shores. Navarrian, I think that some of that off-color foam on the sand is simply from the water being roiled up .... that's happened before when we've had a lot of wind and waves. The water gets a bit murky and that darker stuff washes up on shore.

Let's just get organized and be ready .... no need to push the panic button just yet. Many businesses are depending on tourists and vacationers for their livelyhood.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
terrytex

Sun May 02, 2010 5:43 pm

We used to visit Navarre often as my father lived there many years in the area. My husband doesn't love the beach as much as the rest of us (esp. 5 now-grown kids) but we've talked him into a beach vacation & are coming in from 3 different states to meet up there next week! Hope it's pleasant as it may take us another couple of years before we can do something like this again!? We've decided to be positive and perhaps anticipate helping out if things get messy there. Should we bring dish soap (birds?)gloves? or is there something supply-wise that ya'll might suggest we bring along?

We are, of course, praying that the wellhead will be capped/stopped as soon as humanly possible & especially feel for the locals in that area (both human and wildlife/habitat). Well, see you soon-come what may! :wink:
houstonkss

Sun May 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Navarrebeacher wrote:Good post houstonkiss and AG.
Tourists should not panic by this spill. We survived Ivan and Dennis. NB will be here to enjoy and the beach will be as clean as we can make it.

The main problem is the long range environmental inpact of this spill. There are 4000 well in the Gulf. The industry cannot afford for this tradegy to not be a high priority to make safer. Some are calling for BP to fail and for political revenge. That is not the answer.
I willl arrive from KS to NB on 05-05-10 for 13 days. I hope the tourists do not get spooked by all the naysayers in the news and talking heads on TV. I will spend as much time on the west end of NB beach as I can. If necessary I will get rakes and a bucket. I might even spring for a front end loader if possible but that would be prohibited I am sure.
We in buisness in FL will not stand by and idly let our tourist industry sink over this tragedy.
We do need a long range energy policy in this Nation and I believe www.pickensplan.con is a good start for our environment, national defense and economy. Lets do something long range for our kids and grandkids sake on this energy issue. 8)
We will be there June 5~12. Only the absolute worst will keep us away. At this time we need to give back to the area we love so. It might not be our ideal vacation, but just think what we could do to help! The beaches & the economy need all the help they can get right now. Only time will tell, & I for one will not play part in to all of the panic.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 6:11 pm

We plan on being there, too! It will be sad if the oil is there but even sadder for US not to be there!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 pm

The Pensacolakid, family and friends are coming come high water or oil! I am confident the tides and currents will protect (for the most part) Navarre Beach.

Shame on BP for not having backup system after backup system after backup system. Why was a plan not in place, just as an evacuation plan is in place for cruise ships or systems controls on aircraft, to quickly, effectively and efficiently attack just such a problem? Stunning the stupidity and especially since they made last year...what $80 Million in profit?? More than enough to afford a backup system. They will now...that is if they remain a company.
GregM

Mon May 03, 2010 2:04 pm

My family has a condo at Summerwinds and we visit as often as possible(I was down at Easter and will return in June). It just makes me sick to know what this may do to our beaches. I am from Louisiana and love getting online and hearing from all of you that live in Navarre full time(I am so Jealous),thanks for the updates Kenny,David and Navarrian and anyone I missed. My prayers are with Navarre,the good people there,and the wildlife. Keep a watchful eye on our paradise.
Floridays

Tue May 04, 2010 2:36 pm

we (me, my wife & 3 kids) are planning our second visit this year for the 3rd week in June and we will be there spending $$$ at local businesses, stores and restaurants. I had hoped to charter a fishing trip out of Destin with my sons as we have year after year but that may not be an option this year :? Navarre is our 2nd home and we feel a strong connection to the area no matter what time of year it is.

I totally agree with pensacolakid; when the technology to go down and get the oil surpasses the technology to do it safely, WE'RE DOING IT WRONG!

I don't buy gas from Citgo because I refuse to send my $ to Hugo Chavez. Looks like BP is now on the same list as Hugo...
"everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you..."

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”