Oil Spill on the way to Our Beach!!

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
tes

Sat May 01, 2010 7:13 am

The focus so far has been wildlife destruction and the impacts on sport and commercial fishing. These are certainly serious impacts.

If the oil comes ashore - which right now - seems likely, then the cancellations will start for vacation rentals, along with all the secondary economic consequences. And, yes, less tax revenue. A bit later there will be declining values for properties on and near the beach, and with enough various economic impacts, properties values more inland will suffer.

Maybe I'm being Chicken Little, but the costs of oil are very high, we just don't pay all of them at the pump. Now we are witnessing, right here at home, one of the huge indirect costs of oil.

Oil is going to leak, one way or another. If it doesn't leak at the well, then it will leak in the pipe or from transport ships. This episode is not an isolated example. The well disaster last year near Australia, a recent massive oil spill in the Mississippi River, a serious pipeline leak in Alaska not too long ago, and the Exxon Valdez, just for starters.

As for paying for the damages, didn't Exxon just last year finally settle the last claims from the Exxon Valdez, the wreck that happened in 1989? It only took 20 years.

One comment made above was to take some positive lessons from this disaster.Good advice. The obvious one is to stop offshore drilling, at least, anywhere near our coasts. Let hope that shutting it down pushes the price of oil and gas up, so that when we gas up our vehicles we are paying closer to the true price. At least we will stop making those who suffer the economic costs of future oil spills from having to subsidize oil.

It's really time to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul. As long as we keep dumping oil and all our other pollutants into the environment, we will - sooner or later - have to pay for it. Right now, Gulf wildlife is suffer the consequences of this latest spill. Unfortunately, those of us living on the coast are next in line.
nmoline

Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 am

I have my wedding scheduled on June 13th at Opal Beach, the fact that this oil leak is not getting capped anytime soon is making me more and more nervous that we will be having a wedding on a black beach smelling of oil; and the families won't be able to enjoy the water. Please keep all of us out of towners informed of the situation down there as it progresses.

Thank You!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat May 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Congratulations on your impending nuptials and many blessings for a long and happy marriage!

Monitor this forum as often as you can ... there are many on here who will update things as the situation progresses.

Meanwhile, please keep praying!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sat May 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Just a reminder to boaters out there. You will need to operate with caution as the intake valves on your boat will take the oil right on in with the water and if you have a generator or AC with intake valves...the same thing applies. So if you are going to be on the water proceed at your own risk once the oil arrives on our shores. As I recall the current will be pushing from Pensacola to Destin in the Sound and as the oil makes it's way into the ICW...oh well you get the picture. I envision there will be a few boat repairs coming up this summer.

Navarrian 8)
Guvnor

Sat May 01, 2010 2:42 pm

This is my first post on this forum. I am happy I found this forum. I've been coming down to Navarre since 1978 with my folks and now I bring my family down. We are scheduled to visit this July and it sickens me knowing we may have to cancel due to the oil slick. As hurt as my family will be, I can not imagine how the locals must be feeling. From hurricanes to this new disaster, I believe the Navarre residents have to be the toughest people in the U.S. Also, the nicest people I have ever met.
I hope and pray that the oil slick will not come ashore but, it appears that the slick will create challenges for the area with more oil to come as the well has yet to be contained.
I have until June 15 to cancel my 32nd trip to Navarre. I do not know what to do. I hope this forum will provide accurate information to help with my decision.
Last week I put in a request to my company CEO to provide vehicle support (I work for Chrysler - please do not hate me for this) for the clean up efforts. I hope Chrysler comes through.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sat May 01, 2010 3:53 pm

I just returned from a look at the beach(May 1). and will post a video tommorrow morning. The winds and gulf are churning up quite a bit, but it appears the oil sheen has begun to arrive on our beaches. The foam from the water carries a dark brown color and is normally white. The residue does feel slick to the touch.. and I did see a dead bird washed up. I was on the west end of the beach at about the 4th walkover.
Here are a couple of pictures.
Navarrian 8)

lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sat May 01, 2010 4:32 pm

:(
TNBirder

Sat May 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Thank you so much, Navarrian and others, for the updates and the photos. We were planning to come down from Nashville, TN, in two weeks to surf fish, but cancelled our trip a couple of days ago with the realization of what seems inevitable. We like the area so much, and are just heartbroken because of what is happening. It is indescribable, unimaginable, and inexcusable. We of course hope and pray that the damage to the beach, wildlife, and livelihoods there will be as minimal and contained as possible, and look forward to returning to Navarre as soon as all of this has passed, whenever that may be. Know that there are many of us out here watching for news, updates, and photos on this forum, and are very appreciative of your posts.
hogfan08

Sat May 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Out of state beach vacationer here. We have a family beach trip planned for mid to late July. Just curious if anybody knows if this oil spill will have an effect on the beach life at a date so many days away.

Hoping things don't get too bad for you guys. Hope to be around in July!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat May 01, 2010 6:02 pm

i don't think anyone can truly know that, hogfan08. there are so many variables. just keep up with the news, i guess. hope to see you at the beach!
Guvnor

Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 pm

M y family has a reservation at the Regency July 16. I think we will be canceling on Monday. I dread making the call because I know others will be doing the same - I feel bad for the rental company employees. We discussed canceling over dinner with our two boys ages 9&7. Both are really sad. Both got new boogie boards for Christmas.
I suggest we all refrain from buying gas from BP. Let's make BP suffer. They sure messed up the lives of many.
jfhartrph

Sat May 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for your updates. Please continue to post them. We are scheduled to head down for a stay at Beach Colony on May 12-16. No way we could get our money back now I think. I say we should go on down anyway, knowing that we may just have to stay poolside. But we are concerned about the smell. Any info you can provide since you are local would be appreciated. Hoping for the best for everyone there!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 10:22 am

We were in South Padre after this event:

June 3, 1979 - MEXICO - An estimated 140 million gallons of oil spilled from an exploratory well in the Gulf of Mexico, 80 km NW of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

Although there were tarballs rolling onto the beach for several years thereafter, we detected no strong odors. (We enjoyed our visit but it was an awful mess to clean up our feet after nearly every stroll down the beach!) Some entity (tourism or someone) placed spray bottles of tar remover along w/towels at all the beach walking traffic exits but the damage to carpet and flooring was pretty extensive for the homes, hotels and condos.

Can't say for sure how it will be here, though. So far, it only smells like the beach!

For the curious, here is a link to a history of oil spills, from the 60's to present day:
http://www.marinergroup.com/oil-spill-history.htm

A.G.
P.S. Please pray for northerly winds asap to minimize shoreline impact!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
houstonkss

Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 am

AngelGirl wrote:We were in South Padre after this event:

June 3, 1979 - MEXICO - An estimated 140 million gallons of oil spilled from an exploratory well in the Gulf of Mexico, 80 km NW of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

Although there were tarballs rolling onto the beach for several years thereafter, we detected no strong odors. (We enjoyed our visit but it was an awful mess to clean up our feet after nearly every stroll down the beach!) Some entity (tourism or someone) placed spray bottles of tar remover along w/towels at all the beach walking traffic exits but the damage to carpet and flooring was pretty extensive for the homes, hotels and condos.

Can't say for sure how it will be here, though. So far, it only smells like the beach!

For the curious, here is a link to a history of oil spills, from the 60's to present day:
http://www.marinergroup.com/oil-spill-history.htm

A.G.
P.S. Please pray for northerly winds asap to minimize shoreline impact!

Prayers are on the way for northerly winds!!!
kftw

Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 pm

I have been lurking & planning our visit to Navarre Beach for many months now. We're due to arrive May 16th & we're beyond the period to get a refund on our stay. At this time our plan is still to arrive on the 16th. My husband has lung problems & the only thing which would make us not come would be the air quality.

Although we are very sad to not be able to see your area at it's best. We are even more sad with the effect this will have on your community's economy. That's the main reason we are still going to make a try to be there. Just a drop in the bucket but the drops can add up & help.

We have our list of sites to see & restaurants to visit. Thanks for all the great information one can obtain from this site.

We'll be watching your daily reports. Our prayers are with you.

karen
kftw
Burleson, TX

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”