Navarre Beach Oil Spill Important Updates

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Curdoglsu

Wed May 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Are you smelling oil in Navarre Beach? There is a website reporting the smell of oil there. See: http://oilspill.labucketbrigade.org/
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Well, the post just says the "air stinks" ... since the wind has frequently been from the N lately, it could be the smell from the papermill at Cantonment.
:?
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am

North wind also brings the smell of the swamps on Eglin Reservation toward the beach on occasion, also the smell of truck traffic from Hwy. 98.

Gulf Shores had an incident of someone reporting heavy oil smell coming from the Gulf and in the middle of the phone conversation another person pointed to the source, a parked diesel tractor rig left running to keep the coolers working while making a delivery. Alabama had 1 found tar ball blown by some news media into many,many tar balls but, yes, there have been more found in the last couple of days, though not enough to draw complaints from visitors People are on edge and are mistaking normal occurances as the smell or sightings of oil from the Gulf. Some "news sources", especially those of the www, don't feel obligated to double check thier sources before reporting any thing to the masses.

I'm on the beach right now, wind from the south, and no oil smell. I do not smoke so my smeller works pretty well. The entire day was a normal Spring day at Navarre Beach, no oil smell, no oil slicks, lots of pretty white sand and the wonderful smell of the Gulf.

The piers and beaches from Gulf Shores, Ala. thru Panama City, Fla. had catches of pompano, cobia, spanish, and kings today. None in this area have been affected by oil, not yet, though there have been reports of that as well. The normal occurances of dolphin and turtles being found beached at this time of year have also been contributed to the oil spill without proof.

We will see lots of problems from this spill without some of the media playing games with it and making it worse.

Anyone planning trips to Navarre should check our local sources before changing any plans.
David
Curdoglsu

Thu May 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear all is well so far and I hope it stays away.
B&B in Atlanta

Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 am

We have been down here since Friday night and are glad to say that the beach is as beautiful as it has been our previous four trips. I am very sensitive to smells and have noticed nothing unusual. The one thing I have noticed, we come the same week every year and there doesn't seem to be as many visitors here as in previous years, maybe a combination of the economy and the threat of the oil spill. That is sad for the local economy. My husband was able to fish with a boat out of Pensacola and had a great day and we have fish for the summer. We are glad we stayed with our plans and have had an awesome week here as always.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm

BREAKING NEWS FROM SANTA ROSA COUNTY ABOUT NAVARRE BEACH

Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Information Only

Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Update #13 is now available at www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 pm

BP CLAIMS

To serve the residents of Santa Rosa County, BP opened today a claims office in Midway. The office is open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, until further notice. Although completely function, please be patient while the office is being fully developed. BP recommends anyone with a claim call 1-800-440-0858 to help expedite the process. By calling the claims number, adjusters at the claims office will have the information prior to your visit. The office is located at: BP Claims Office 5668 Gulf Breeze Pkwy Unit B-9 Gulf Breeze, FL 32563
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 pm

BREAKING NEWS FROM SANTA ROSA COUNTY ABOUT NAVARRE BEACH

Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Information Only

Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Update #15 is now available at www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Information
Latest Situation Reports for Navarre Beach and Santa Rosa County
CLICK HERE FOR LATEST UPDATES

Please be advised that going forward the “BREAKING NEWS FROM SANTA ROSA COUNTY ABOUT NAVARRE BEACH” and “Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Updates” will be posted under “Special Announcements” at the top of the “Forum Index” page. Just click on the link on the “Forum Index” page for current updates. This will help keep information posts from being redundant.

If you’re not sure where the “Forum Index” Page is for “Special Announcements" go to http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forum/index.php
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Curdoglsu

Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Has anybody seen any reports back on any of the testing on the oil "sightings" thus far? I have seen the reports of tar balls, dead turtles, dead dolphins, etc. but have not seen any results of the purported testing to see if any of these events were from the BP spill? What is taking so long to report back?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue May 18, 2010 10:34 pm

look at some of the deep water updates - the tar balls, sheen, etc. that have supposedly been found on NB have been tested and found to not have any oil at all.
Curdoglsu

Wed May 19, 2010 9:31 am

I was not aware of any on Navarre. I thought that was all peet. I was referring to the tar on Dauphin Island and the dead animals found in Mississippi and Louisiana. They have reported the findings quickly, but I have not seen any reports that these were from the spill or just natural events.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am

Not sure about the dolphins. The turtles were found to not have any signs of oil in their system.
Curdoglsu

Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks. I had read that it was normal for some dead dolphins to be found this time of year, but had never heard that before. I hope the oil continues to stay away. I enjoy seeing the dolphins every year at Navarre.
furtherdowntheroad

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:52 am

Saturday - June 12 -

Beach is beautiful. Just kayaked out about 3/4 mile along the length of most of Navarre Beach and nothing but Sargassum out there. Should be a beautiful day at the beach.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”