Navarre Beach Oil Spill Important Updates

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 am

Has Santa Rosa requested tractors and rakes? or are they just going to do it the old fashion way-- one tar ball at a time with lots of expensive sand mixed in.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100613/NEWS01/100613003
Norrin Radd

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:58 pm

supposed to check in wednesday afternoon, coming from texas. i am so discouraged about this dam oil.. you don't even know. i can almost taste that bushwacker at juana's, but my wife is skeptical about putting our kids in the gulf of mexico with the oil. any advice is appreciated-- have to make up our mind by tomorrow (monday) at noon or forfeit our entire reservation fee (bummer!). thanks.
furtherdowntheroad

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 am

As of 6/14, when we left in the afternoon, the water was clear, except for some June grass and the beaches were tar free.

Worst case, same as anytime the surf is too dangerous, head over to Juana's and hit the bay side and drink a bushwhacker while watching the kids swim.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 am

NorrinRadd - Okay, I've got a solution for you .... just as "furtherdowntheroad" above said .... take the kids swimming over on the sound. The sand is white, the swimming is safe, and Juana's and the bushwackers are right there! There is also an area called Mom's beach .... safe swimming for the young ones.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
kcblond

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 am

Where is Moms beach?/ And are you referring to the beach at Juanas? I love that area ,,, maybe better than the gulf side since I am a little apprehensive about the undertow.
Good idea,,,,Ginny
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:51 am

"Mom's Beach" is what you see to the east as you approach the little bridge of the causeway going north or leaving the beach. It is now inside the County Park. It is almost directly east (across the road) from Juanas. There is a parking area inside the Park and directly south of Mom's Beach.

There are also many places that you can access the sound's shoreline from the beachside one of which is just to the west of Juanas and close to the water tower. The water is shallow close to shore and good for kids to play. I would not let them play in some of the tidal ponds found there though.
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 am

Oil spill beach cleanup moves to nights

Paul Flemming • News Journal capital bureau • June 17, 2010

Beach cleanup crews were expected to begin working nights rather than days on Wednesday, a change officials said should be a break for sick, overheated workers and also help the effectiveness of the effort.

Emergency Operations officials said Wednesday that the crews would be on Perdido Key to begin work at 6 p.m. and would be there until 6 a.m. today.

But as of 9:30 p.m. a News Journal reporter and photographer could find no crews between the Florida/Alabama line and Johnson Beach.

Escambia County Commissioner Gene Valentino, whose District 2 includes Perdido Key, expressed his frustration the BP oil-response work crews had not shown up as promised.

Boom Deployment

"This is a function of the communication problems we've been having with the Unified Command," he said.

He wondered if the 6 p.m. start time announced at the Emergency Operations Center earlier in the day had been moved back. But, if that were the case, he said he was not notified by BP.

Questions also remain about how the night cleanup workers will see once operations get under way.

Unified Command officials in Mobile did not respond Wednesday to an e-mailed question about lighting arrangements.

John Dosh, emergency director for Escambia County, said he assumed the beach would be lighted much as roadways are lighted at night for repairs.

Escambia County on Wednesday continued to bear the brunt of oil coming ashore in Florida, though tar balls continued to wash up at Navarre Beach in Santa Rosa County.

Parts of the beach at Perdido Key had up to 30 percent coverage with tar balls and patties. Little new impact was seen on Pensacola Beach.

The oil's impact also continued to spread east as tar balls began washing up in Okaloosa County Wednesday.

Santa Rosa County emergency officials reported that oil product was spotted Wednesday by air reconnaissance approximately five miles off shore of Fort Walton Beach, west of Navarre and extending to the state line.

Additional protective booming was placed in Pensacola Bay along Bayfront Parkway, across the entrance to Bayou Texar and along the Pensacola Bay Bridge.

Pensacola City Councilman P.C. Wu said the specialized absorbent boom and doubling of standard booms were extra protection and not an indication of additional oil in Pensacola Bay or oil entering the bayou.

"The booms themselves will not grab all the oil," Valentino said. "We're throwing everything at this we can and no one deployment is the total solution."

Safety a big concern

During the day on Wednesday, there were 150 cleanup workers at Perdido Key, 100 at Johnson Beach and 50 workers at Fort Pickens.

The change to night cleanup came as heat-related injuries, including 18 on Wednesday, continued to mount, Dosh said.

Safety guidelines call for breaks, shade and water, said Steve Hamilton, a BP contractor running cleanup logistics. That can mean 15 minutes of work followed by 15 minutes of rest — and even more at the peak of heat, he said.

"They're not goofing off. They're taking needed breaks under difficult conditions," Valentino said.

The move to night-time cleanup also could result in a better job, Dosh said.

That's because the sun beating down on tar balls turns them into goo, and picking up tar that's closer to solid is much easier.

Officials also held out hope that mechanical rakes — dubbed sand-bonis by responders after the Zambonis that treat ice on hockey rinks — would prove more effective at night with the more-solid tar.

"They were gumming up because of the heat," Wu said. "We'll try them at night and see if that helps."

Payment pending

Escambia still awaits any payment for spill response.

Last Friday, county officials submitted a request for $9.7 million to both the state and BP to cover actual expenses and estimated costs through July.

Valentino said the county has spent more than $5 million so far.

"To date we have not received the first dime," Dosh said. "There's money going out but there's none coming in."
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
lss

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

Several pics from Navarre Beach on PNJ. Is this on the west end or on the entire beach?

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galler ... 807&Ref=PH
bonneau29431

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 am

Not now I sure hope that is the last of the oil for Navarre.
Shell Hunter
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am

lss wrote:Several pics from Navarre Beach on PNJ. Is this on the west end or on the entire beach?

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galler ... 807&Ref=PH
lss, this is what was sent to me and can also be found on the regular updates (this was from Deepwater Horizon Incident Update #50):

"County staff reported tar balls moving onto Navarre Beach this morning, June 29 from west of beach walk over number 11 (near the intersection of New Jersey Street and Gulf Blvd.) west to the Gulf Island National Seashore. Coverage is patchy, and is estimated at 20 percent. The State Warning Point was notified. Weather delayed the clean up and crews began working at approximately 1:30 p.m. Beach walk over number 10 east to Navarre Beach Park had no impacts. There are currently no swimming or fishing restrictions for this area."

sounds to me like this is the west end.
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I am having trouble identifying exactly where the PNJ pics are from on Navarre Beach. I know that, since the pier opened, I've spent less time on the beach but I can't seem to ID from the cottages and walk overs. Realize the county's descrription but they don't seem to match. Someone help me out, please.

Last edited by David on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
David
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Tar balls behind Beachview this morning. None behind Caribbean.
Laura Robinson

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 am

What is the situation (tar balls) like at The Summerwind? We will be staying there next week.
GONEFISHING

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:09 pm

David looks like the PNJ pictures are of the Western end of NB
gary r

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:09 pm

My family just spent the last week (june26th-july3rd) on navarre beach in a private beach home. We made our reservations two months ago and had been monitoring the oil spill information for the last six weeks. like everyone, it seemed, we were concerned about the oil spill effects ruining our family vacation. However, we stuck with our plans, and could not be happier about that decision. The beach was beautiful and 100% usable. The only day there was any issue was the evening of the 29th. Stormy conditions brought on by hurricane alex did roll small scattered tarballs up on to the beach along with some seaweed. The clean up crews pretty much had them all cleaned up early the next day. Even when the tar balls were there, they were tiny, and completely avoidable. We saw no oil anywhere in the water. We thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the water and hanging out on the beautiful white sandy beach!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”