NAVARRIAN VIDEO - Oil at Navarre Beach May 1

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Yesterday I heard reports of oil showing up in the foam on the beach and went over to confirm. The gulf was churning and the winds were brisk as a coastal flood warning was in effect. There was a brown sheen to the foam washing up and along the shore line primarily on the west end of Navarre Beach. Today there were attempts to place oil booms out but the winds made it impossible. Here is a video of what I saw yesterday. I'll post other videos throughout this week.

Navarrian 8)
[youtube][/youtube]
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 3:36 pm

are you sure it is oil, navarrian?
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I just mentioned that in another thread on here. It's probably just what usually washes up during rough seas .... the water gets murky and washes on shore.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 3:48 pm

that's what i have seen, too, ebb.

and according to the pensacola news journal article today, the winds are keeping it west of pensacola right now:

"National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predictions, being used by the Coast Guard, private companies and others responding to the spill, indicate that oil could reach the Pensacola area by Tuesday.

But Greg Stone, director of the Coastal Studies Institute at Louisiana State University, said that while "things can change," the institute's constant monitoring of Gulf wind and current patterns indicates the slick could remain west of here for an indefinite period.

Stone, who has studied Santa Rosa Island for years, said on Saturday that winds blowing from the southeast have been pushing the body of the slick toward Louisiana."
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Others at Navarre Beach have confirmed the same finding about the oily sheen washing ashore. I understand the sand is being tested to also confirm. With regard to Greg Stone, He must be able to see and feel the sand I saw yesterday from LSU to be more accurate. The fact is NOAA on TV this morning was having to use future casts to estimate where the oil is now, because the clouds are blocking satelite pictures, but with wind shifting to the south Sunday they were projecting oil would be on Pensacola Beach on Monday. When they project oil...I'm not talking about an oil sheen which is what is coming ashore at Navarre Beach. Others living in the condos have actually see the oil in spots out to sea. Could it be sludge churned up from the bottom....sure. Is it likely? You answer that one for yourself. I just videoed what I saw, felt and smelled....but no I'm not a petroleum expert...are you?

Navarrian 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 5:32 pm

For the past four years Navarrian has been a great contributor to the NBL Forum with his informative comments, photos and videos. However, I respectfully disagree with Navarrian’s assessment in his video that black oil from the Gulf Oil Slick has come ashore at Navarre Beach. I was at Navarre Beach this morning for about four hours photographing the beach at all 12 public access areas along the 4.5 miles of Navarre Beach. I photographed this for Santa Rosa County.

In my opinion the oil slick has not reached Navarre Beach yet. Maybe Navarre Beach will be spared from this nightmare. I pray that our being spared becomes a reality.

What some of you have been seeing during the past few days on the beach is a light brown coating on the sand caused by the rough storm surge. Actually, this is a common occurrence when the Gulf is stormy. Over the past 11 years I have shot over 400,000 photos of Navarre Beach, and I have photographed this light brown occurrence hundreds of times. Last year I shot a beach scene where the coating on the beach was almost black, which is shown in the bottom photo below dated October 8, 2009.

I am posting a few photos below that clearly show this normal occurrence during stormy weather. Under each photo I have provide the shot date. You can view more photos with this occurrence by going to my photo gallery website http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/navarrebeachimages

Image© Photo by Kenny Wilder – March 26, 2010

Image© Photo by Kenny Wilder – March 7, 2010

Image© Photo by Kenny Wilder – December 27, 2009

Image© Photo by Kenny Wilder – October 8, 2009
Click images to enlarge
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Navarrian wrote:Others at Navarre Beach have confirmed the same finding about the oily sheen washing ashore. I understand the sand is being tested to also confirm. With regard to Greg Stone, He must be able to see and feel the sand I saw yesterday from LSU to be more accurate. The fact is NOAA on TV this morning was having to use future casts to estimate where the oil is now, because the clouds are blocking satelite pictures, but with wind shifting to the south Sunday they were projecting oil would be on Pensacola Beach on Monday. When they project oil...I'm not talking about an oil sheen which is what is coming ashore at Navarre Beach. Others living in the condos have actually see the oil in spots out to sea. Could it be sludge churned up from the bottom....sure. Is it likely? You answer that one for yourself. I just videoed what I saw, felt and smelled....but no I'm not a petroleum expert...are you?

Navarrian 8)
nope, i'm not, therefore i would not presume to post info stating something is oil when in fact it may just be the normal brown scum i have seen many times at the beach.

someone on another forum talked with CERT people yesterday AM who had just walked the beach, and CERT said no oil yet.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Great video, as usual, Navarrian. Thank you for taking the time to record and post it. When you are out this week making more videos, would you make one with the sound of the waves? (I love the music but oh how I miss the sound of those waves!)
GONEFISHING

Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I agree with Kenny the foam is from high seas not the oil spill. I have seen this foam come and go for many years.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I will respectfully disagree and withhold conclusive judgement until officials at the Gulf Islands National Seashore (who took sand samples) have them analyzed) and we can ensure the accuracy better than photos or videos or past "experience" .

Navarrian 8)
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm

it sounded like you reached your conclusion already, navarrian, without the conclusive evidence, hence my posts (and the others). it may very well be oil, but why say it IS ("oil at navarre beach may 1") until we know for sure?
Last edited by gailjean on Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Navarrian, thanks very much for taking your time and videography experience to give us another wonderful glimpse of Navarre Beach ... we're only a few miles inland but can't see it from here of course! So, every glimpse through your videography is a wonderful "window" on NB to us!

Keep praying ~ may the good Lord turn the winds and calm the sea!
God bless our "Forum Family"!

Blessings,
A.G.
Last edited by AngelGirl on Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 pm

gailjean,

You seem intent on shooting the messenger, but unfortunately for you, I video what I see. If we did not have 12000000 gallons of oil in the gulf drifitng towards us which all the news media seems to acknowledge, I would side with you and say it is all going to Louisiana and Mississippi and we won't be affected and life is good, but at some point you must be realistic and acknowledge and prepare for what is to come. I said oil "sheen" not oil as you are expecting. The sheen will indeed be here ahead of the mess as I contend it has. I even began this thread 3 days before anyone thought there was an issue to affect us ...but I did because it was obvious to me. So "why say it is until we know for sure"...O.K. I'll stick my head in the sand with you:)
Navarrain 8)
David
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 pm

I have lived in the panhandle for 35 years and, also, have seen the same brown foam many times during rough seas, respectively disagree, and do not believe the oil slick (or sheen) from this leak has reached us as yet. Many times, in addition to foam, there are black streaks from the falling tide which is not contributed to oil but other elements stired from the Gulf as witnessed by Kenny's photos. I saw the same on the beach days before the leak.

The winds are too high in a direction that keeps the sheen it to our west and have been since the leak. If the winds were more south or southwest, I would, most likly,concur that it came from the leak.

However, we should wait for the analysis to be sure. uh? Better to depend on the experts.

In any case, the next few weeks will most likely have oil on our beach though I will pray for a miracle.

The link below shows the slick (sheen) and federal closure area for fishing according to NOAA as of 6 pm this date:

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/deepwater_ ... osure2.pdf
David
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun May 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Navarrian wrote:gailjean,

You seem intent on shooting the messenger, but unfortunately for you, I video what I see. If we did not have 12000000 gallons of oil in the gulf drifitng towards us which all the news media seems to acknowledge, I would side with you and say it is all going to Louisiana and Mississippi and we won't be affected and life is good, but at some point you must be realistic and acknowledge and prepare for what is to come. I said oil "sheen" not oil as you are expecting. The sheen will indeed be here ahead of the mess as I contend it has. I even began this thread 3 days before anyone thought there was an issue to affect us ...but I did because it was obvious to me. So "why say it is until we know for sure"...O.K. I'll stick my head in the sand with you:)
Navarrain 8)
nope, not shooting the messenger. and i NEVER said the oil would not hit NB and all go to LA and MS. don't know where you got that from. :?: :?:

your posts and video said the oil was already at NB, the evidence being the "oil showing up in the foam". my point (and others people seem to agree) is that the brown foam is what we have all seen on the beach many times over the years. it is documented by kenny's photos as well.

my intent: as much as the visitors to NB need to know (and should know)what is happening, the good people of NB, many of whom depend on tourism for their livelihood, need to have this situation accurately reported. by saying that oil is already at NB, when it most likely is not, may cause some tourists to leave, or if they are coming down this week, cancel their trip. that potential loss of revenue may be the breaking point for some locals.

will the oil hit NB? unfortunately, most likely so. my head is not in the sand. the FL coast has to be prepared for it, and it sounds like they are or will be shortly.

now go and call out by name some of the other people who disagree with you and quit singling me out.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”