NAVARRIAN VIDEO - Oil at Navarre Beach May 1

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Floridays

Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 am

We are hoping and praying for a miracle to spare Navarre and the surrounding area of this ecological catastrophy. The scope of this crisis is just now sinking in so emotions are running high. Remember - it's our love for the unspoiled natural beauty of this place that brings us all here to share and exchange ideas and experiences.

Thank you to Kenny and Navarrian (and others) for taking the time to document and bring updates. Please keep them coming for those of us living in other areas of the country.

God bless...
"everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you..."
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Ya know...several years ago, my father in law and I drove down from Birmingham to fish the Navarre pier for a few days. One night he wanted a book to read so we went to the Tom Thumb in Fort Walton after eating dinner at Harbor Docks in Destin. While he bought a book, I bought a Florida Salt Water Fisherman magazine. Much of that month's edition was focused on why the Florida Panhandle (from Panama City to Pensacola) look s the way it does when so much of the Gulf Coast is brown and nasty. The culprit....the way the tides and currents flow. For hundreds of years the flow from the Mississippi travels slightly east before turning around and coming back and going down for some distance. Eventually the nasty sediment is filtered by the water and falls to the sea floor. This is why the Panhandle area is as pristine as it is. I am not a meteorologist or scientist or expert in oil but I am putting my money on the tides and currents. I am convinced the tides and currents will keep much of the Pensacola/Navarre Beach area clear and clean. Hey, if it has to come, let it come here to Texas and LA.
Floridays

Mon May 03, 2010 1:10 pm

I hope you're right on the money with your theory pensacolakid but I guess the good fortune of some will spell tragedy for others.

I was talking to a friend over the weekend who had grown up near Galveston - he talked about how oil and tar balls were just part of going to the beach down there. I certainly hope we NEVER have to accept that reality in the panhandle of FL!
"everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you..."
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Floridays,

I grew up going to Freeport (Surfside) and Galveston. I remember the tar balls all too well. I would never want any wildlife hurt regardless but the Texas and LA beaches (if that is what you want to call them) could probably absord the damage a little better...at least aesthetically!

I will say it again...SHAME ON BP FOR NOT HAVE BACKUP AFTER BACKUP AFTER BACKUP FOR JUST SUCH OCCASSIONS. I will never give them another dollar!
Shell Seeker

Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Love the video, love the song!
Praying for all involved , wildlife, fishemen, shrimpers, people etc..
So hoping to be able to keep my June visit and praying it wont make it to Navarre although I hate to see it wash up anywhere.
I appreciate all the info and updates.
Thats how I found this forum. :D
Shell Seeker

Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I lived in Corpus christi as a teen in the late 70's and so remember the tar balls on our feet and oil spots on our swim suits.
We peeled off tar and oil instead of seaweed.
AEB1126

Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 pm

I live on Navarre beach and spent most of the day on the beach Sat. and even had two friends in the water without any problems. I am new to the forum and am on here to help in anyway possible and to get updates about what my roommate and I should do to protect ourselves against potential health issues associated with living on the beach. I will also give my impression and post pics of what Im seeing on our end of the beach.
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Tar Balls were reported today in Knee high water at Navarre Beach. Although I don't know if they are really oil or if they have been tested...I just trust the information from Commissioner Gordon Goodin.
Navarrian 8)
David
Power User
Power User

Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 pm

It was good to hear from Chanel 3 that what had been thought to be frothy oil foam on Navarre Beach had been tested and was found to be negative with no oil content. It was found to be a natural frothing seen during rough water that contained normal elements from the Gulf.

Don't know about tar balls. The spill has made us all more aware of any thing we may see that could be oil related and that is a good thing.

They may well have come from this last spill or they could come from spills that occured during past storms and the rough water stired them from the bottom of the deeper Gulf. With all due respect to Com. Goodin and what may have been mentioned to him, tar balls are not usually seen till after the heavier oil from a slick settles to the bottom and over time they make it to shore. You can hardly walk the beaches around Miami without tar from much earlier spills sticking to your feet,

Something else that can be mistaken for tar is the same black substance we saw along the beach in huge chunks after recent hurricanes. Some thought that substance to be the asphalt (tar) from the road through the federal property. Turned out that it is natural element from the bottom of the Gulf broken up by the storms and does not have the same consistancy as tar, I still occasionally see some in the water that had broken up from the larger pieces we saw earlier on shore. Saw same in Destin waters after Hurricane Fredrick in 1979.
Last edited by David on Tue May 04, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
houstonkss

Tue May 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Tar balls already :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks to everyone with the great info. We appreciate it!
dan

Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 am

Navarrian,

Thanks for the video and prior ones too. They helped a lot when I was exiled to Randolph AFB. However, could you update the description on YouTube? Reason being, Twitter users are sharing your video and it could go viral. Also, if it does hit us hard, we need scalable and searchable results to show a progression. Let's all make an effort to keep all our social media as up to date and as accurate with the latest science as possible. Thanks again.

-Dan
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed May 05, 2010 7:05 am

David wrote:It was good to hear from Chanel 3 that what had been thought to be frothy oil foam on Navarre Beach had been tested and was found to be negative with no oil content. It was found to be a natural frothing seen during rough water that contained normal elements from the Gulf.

Don't know about tar balls. The spill has made us all more aware of any thing we may see that could be oil related and that is a good thing.

They may well have come from this last spill or they could come from spills that occured during past storms and the rough water stired them from the bottom of the deeper Gulf. With all due respect to Com. Goodin and what may have been mentioned to him, tar balls are not usually seen till after the heavier oil from a slick settles to the bottom and over time they make it to shore. You can hardly walk the beaches around Miami without tar from much earlier spills sticking to your feet,

Something else that can be mistaken for tar is the same black substance we saw along the beach in huge chunks after recent hurricanes. Some thought that substance to be the asphalt (tar) from the road through the federal property. Turned out that it is natural element from the bottom of the Gulf broken up by the storms and does not have the same consistancy as tar, I still occasionally see some in the water that had broken up from the larger pieces we saw earlier on shore. Saw same in Destin waters after Hurricane Fredrick in 1979.
yeah, heard about the possibility of tarballs yesterday afternoon, but waiting for the official word. thanks for the thoughts, david. :)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 05, 2010 9:50 am

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR

TO: All Forum Members

Please do NOT post messages about oil slicks or tar balls coming ashore at Navarre Beach unless it is verified by reliable sources. I am aware of a couple of rumors out there including posts on this Forum, but to date they are unsubstantiated. The fact that these rumors to date are unsubstantiated, I am requesting that the members of this Forum not to post rumors at this time unless they are verified by BT, Santa Rosa County, State and Federal regulatory agencies.

I just talked a few minutes ago with a top Santa Rosa County official, the Navarre Beach Engineer Dept., and a person at the County Emergency Operations Center in Milton, and at this time they cannot substantiate any reports of oil slicks or tar balls coming ashore at Navarre Beach.

Therefore, until these rumors are verified by the regulatory agencies mentioned above this thread is being locked until these rumors are verified.

Kenny Wilder
Administrator / Navarre Beach Life Forum
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”