It's Beautiful....It's Navarre Beach

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Norrin Radd

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm

well, we relocated our trip to destin with 2 families. had to hedge the bet & move east, rolling the dice but still hope navarre is free and clear.. at least a couple more weeks.. i hope they clean up this mess in time for next year. we will return! if i can talk my bros into sneaking out a couple hours will hit juana's for the almighty bushwacker & ice cold kalik. here's to hoping everyone's vacation is as they wish, good luck to everyone & cheers!
Teyla

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Navarrian,

Thank you so much for posting these pictures! I actually wouldn't mind the June grass or the seaweed. Compared to what's lurking further out, these are no big deal.

As the days get closer, I'm getting more antsy! Staying focused at work has been difficult and seeing these pics is making it harder! :wink:
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Went to the pier at 2:00pm this afternoon to check again. The June grass is broken in spaces (in front of the condos and appeared clear in spots). I did not see any oil balls floating and was looking specifically for signs. I did see another turtle and 3 dolphin playing about 200 yards off the beach. I personally have yet to get in the Gulf since May. The crowds on the beach are definitely down. While the fishing on the pier is brisk, eat any seafood from the Gulf with caution. Not for me. As many of you know the Gulf changes daily with the June grass and the worst that can happen is you have to take a shower. :lol: The Soundside on the other hand looks great...boats, jet skis are having a blast. We have had high pressure over us the last few days which has provided hot weather and calm wind conditions. Although the high pressure ridges will begin to move in the next few days, I plan to launch my boat on Thursday Soundside and head to Destin and check it out. I'll let you now from the water what I find. Thus far I have been hesitant to launch my boat (27 ft Cabin cruiser) because any oil that enters the water intake valves will cause damage to the engine and I am not interested in billing BP. :roll: Here are some pics from today.. It is what it is.....I'll let you know.
Navarrian 8)

Teyla

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:18 pm

The pics were great! Loved the dolphin and turtle. I made my husband and daughter come see what's waiting for us in Navarre.

I will look forward to your updates and greatly appreciate the information. Since we are driving over 12 hours to get there, I want to come prepared.

Thanks again, Navarrian. Hope your boating is relaxing and oil-free!
jmed

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Navarrian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give your detailed description of the beach and water! It helps those of us living farther away get a much better idea of what's going on in NB. The pics were awesome....I look forward to more info. from you!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 am

Still no oil this AM. Saw dolphins less than 5' from the beach and turtles again yesterday. The water is crystal clear where there is no June grass. I wish I could post pics but I am using my phone. We have no WiFi at our condo. There is little air moving which makes the temp about 105 but may be keeping the oil at bay. So for us day 4 of paradise!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 am

I was at the beach early this morning to photograph the most beautiful beach in the world. I'll post some photos shortly showing that Navarre Beach is still in great shape.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 am

Beach is looking good today. Nice and clear. Even the seaweed seems to be clearing up.
dlhamann

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Those first pics you took at the pier...did you notice the cross in the seaweed? Did someone do that or was it just naturally like that?
#12's mom

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 am

thank you everyone for all of the updates. :D

pensacola kid: you have been there almost a week now, how is it looking? the webcam is showing nothing but blue skies and clear water (except where there is june grass). what is it like at ground level?
"So be it"
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 am

#12s mom- It has been beautiful since Saturday. The very small tarballs started rolling in yesterday afternoon. Prior to that in between the patches of June grass the water has been crystal clear. We have seen turtles and dolphins every day and spent the majority of the day in the water. Today the weather is beautiful again and the water looks clear again but there is no one on the beach but Hazmat workers and Police in their ATV. Not sure what is going on. From the balcony to the naked eye I don't see anything. Even with the oil situation I would rather be at Navarre than anywhere else!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:07 pm

This morning, there are reports of tar balls on Okaloosa Island.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 am

This might be a silly question ..... but I've been known to ask them from time to time. As the tar balls are being scooped up, so is the beautiful white sand. I wonder if the sand could be put into a solution of Dawn detergent and cleaned and put back onto the beach when the oil spill has ceased. With all the erosion, we lose sand all the time .... now we're losing it because of the oil.

Just wondering ..... :roll:
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
swwdan

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:13 am

As a Navarre Beach property owner we are still paying off the beach renourishment through our property tax bill. Maybe BP should have to pay for the next one since we are losing our sand.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:00 am

The tar balls don't stain the sand unless they are smashed into it. You do collect a little sand while getting the tar ball up in one piece. Of course, with a small shovel or kitty litter scoop, more sand is left on the beach.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”