Up-dates today??

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
staciwright09

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:02 pm

I will be there July 14th - 18th

How is it today???
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm

PNJ has pictures and is reporting that tar and oil has washed up on Pensacola Beach and Fort Pickens this morning. They have posted double red flags to stay out of the water, and crews are in the process of cleaning up. I have not heard anything today about Navarre Beach, but from the cam it looked like it was still ok.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Navarre Beach is ok today. Still holding our breath.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 pm

We will be there next Friday for the July 4th week. Even if the beach is less than perfect for whatever reason, there will be plenty of things to do and enjoy in the areas inland rivers, parks, the sound, etc. Looking forward to it!
flamingoqueen

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 pm

The oil has to stay away! We'll arrive Saturday, and the thought of the water being tainted by oil makes me sick! We are praying for perfect, pristine, clear Navarre water!
Floridays

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:48 am

as of 6:00 am this morning, I'm very happy to report no sheen, no signs of oil and no oil smell on Navarre Beach 8)

we all know it's out there but Navarre is still oil free - thank God

I'll also add that over the last few days, the clean up crews have appeared to be diligently looking for something to pick up but fortunately their clear plastic bags have been empty except for the occasional piece of trash - and I thank them for picking up trash when they find it...
It's beautiful down here! Y'all come :D
"everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you..."
staciwright09

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am

thanks guys! Please keep me updated.... any pics?? I am super excited and Ican't wait..... Just wish the wedding were sooner.... My luck by the 14th the oil may be there. :( I will stay positive though... we are going either way!
john boy

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 am

We are heading down to the beach in the next hour, looking out of our condo window the water is calm and clear, no sign Oil or Tar and no sheen on the water. Beach is clean nice white sand. It has been a fantastic week down here, we are sorry to leave on Saturday. We will pray the oil does not make it to this area . Will update you tommorrow.Or if anything changes.

John.
flamingoqueen

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

i talked to a friend who is at Navarre now. She said local news reported "health warnings" for beaches from Pensacola to Destin, and that Pensacola and Destin were closed, but yellow flags were out at Navarre. :(
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am

Why are the beaches at Destin closed? Has tar washed up there also?
flamingoqueen

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 am

not sure. haven't heard anything on nat'l news abt destin, but that's what she said local news was reporting. i'm anticipating an update from her this evening following local news again. we have to make a decision soon...supposed to leave for navarre tomorrow evening. i'm thinking "health advisory" were the words she used--not 'warning'. either way, it's not the report i wanted to hear....
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 am

I pretty much ignore the national media, and rely on the locals for accurate information, so if you guys at NB can keep us all posted, it is definetly appreciated.
jmed

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am

I spoke with my cousin who is currently on Miramar Beach in Destin. The beach at his condo is open and has been every day this past week and he has personally not seen any tar balls nor is there an "oil smell" in the air where he is. There are so many miles of beaches from Pensacola to Destin that it can be reported "Beaches in Destin are closed" when in fact it might just be a small portion of the beach.

Yes, there have been some tar balls that have washed ashore in parts of the Destin area. On Trip Advisor, some are reporting tar balls on the beach at their condo on Miramar Beach and crews are cleaning it up, but again, my cousin who is also on Miramar Beach has not had any in front of his particular condo. PROOF that just because media or even those vacationing in particular areas have beaches closed or tar balls washed ashore, does not mean the entire area is affected, and Pensacola to Destin covers a lot of beach area!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 am

Agreed. I heard from someone in Destin this week that it was absolutey beautiful. That is why I depend so much on the local reporting, web cam, etc. I read where the currents may be shifting more to the west in the next few days which might help the panhandle area some, although not much help for Alabama to Louisiana.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:13 pm

There ya go! The national media are simply not to be trusted!! :evil: Just as long as they get their dang story and their byline, who gives a flip about our local economies. THEY all need to lose their jobs for a change to get some idea of what it's like! OR how about a sizeable fine every time they print/speak lies that hurt innocent people. That would sure trim down the population of media personnel!

What ever happened to journalistic integrity and checking out the story before you print/speak it??? "In the old days", and this was before e-mail, reporters called local, on the spot, sources. Now even a good many of the local reporters seem to have no regard for the truth ... looking only to get national coverage for their "resumes" and further their careers!

OK, I'm done. :roll:

A.G.:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”