Up-dates today??

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 pm

I cannot keep up with hourly news events regarding every beach in Florida. Those that seem to be more interested in Pensacola Beach to prove a minor point might go to the Pensacola News Journal forum for their oil spill updates. Just go to http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/sectio ... PluckForum

The PNJ forum should be able to answer all of your questions that relate to Pensacola Beach.

Casio Beach which is the most crowded beach within Pensacola Beaches did close for a short period of time in an area of about 1,200 feet in order to bring in heavy equipment to remove oil that collected on the beach yesterday.

NAVARRE BEACH IS OPEN!

I reported this morning that Navarre Beach has no tar balls or oil sheen. Currently there are no heath advisories for Navarre Beach. If you choose to believe otherwise based upon Pensacola Beach reports, that’s perfectly o.k. with me. My primary concern is for Navarre Beach.

Today's Video of Navarre Beach from Santa Rosa County
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forum/v ... php?t=5315
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Kenny's reports are only for NAVARRE BEACH ... what happens 10-20 miles away, along different areas of beach, often separated by vast expanses of water and various and greatly varying current eddys, river outlets, etc., so what happens near Ft. Pickens, is not necessarily what happens in NB.

Yesterday, for instance, some temporary beach closures occured on the East side of FL because of rip currents. Some news organizations got ahold of that info and failed to report WHY the beaches were closed. At any time, now and in times past, there are always temporary beach closures for one thing or another.

Like the FL Tourism ad says, there are blah-blah miles of FL beaches ... 200+ are in the Panhandle. Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach ARE NOT one and the same. I repeat ARE NOT the same place!

A.G.
kenny did say no beaches in florida:

"NO BEACH IS CLOSED AT THIS TIME ANYWHERE IN FLORIDA!"

but it was probably true at that time. the beach and conditions change daily and even hourly - i know kenny knows that as well as the rest of us. there is no way he can keep up with it minute by minute, nor can anyone else.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Bottom line....Navarre Beach is open, oil free, and ready for your enjoyment. We will be advised if anything changes. Thanks to all for the updates. 8)
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:03 pm

flamingoqueen wrote:is there any local info concerning the projected path of the oil that showed up in Pensacola? We can wait almost until the last minute to leave, but convicing a group to travel 12 hours to a beach that may be open, may have oil on it, or may be closed is a bit more difficult after seeing oil, not tar balls, on such a large area only 15 miles west of NB.
projected path more than a month ago had it hitting NB, if i remember correctly. wind, weather and currents can not be accurately predicted. and then how will it hit? small tar balls? big patties? or an even bigger amount? in front of your condo or a mile down the beach from it?

something i've been wanting to post regarding all of this:

first, a disclaimer - people have to do what they think is in their best interests monetarily and healthwise.

but consider: once i went to NB and there was red tide. my son spent all his time indoor (asthma) while it was present, and i did not go out much during those few days.

sometimes it has rained for days. sometimes we have had rough water all week, or part of the week, and could not go swimming. last summer there was jelly fish for a good part of the summer, making swimming rather dicey, to say the least.

we take a chance every time we go that our time there will not go as we planned regarding weather and water conditions - they can't be accurately predicted.

the arrival of oil in any form can't be accurately predicted.

there are other things to do. there is swimming and beach on the soundside. many complexes have pools. where we stay it is just so relaxing to look out and see the water and island and sound, and eat out and relax, and swim in the pool, visit the museum on a rainy day, go to the zoo when the water is too rough, etc.

it is a chance you take. but so is everything else.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:44 pm

News Release
Navarre Beach – From Santa Rosa County
http://204.90.20.174/news/newsrelease/1 ... ILUD45.pdf

This news release was sent to me via e-mail from the County about five minutes ago.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Jannise02

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

My sister also lives in Navarre. She went to the beach today. She saw no oil!!! I was in Navarre last week.Yes, a few tar balls washed up on the beach. However, the water was beautiful. There was no oil smellI listend to Kenny and the other locals on here. If I would have listened to the media I would have canceled my reservations. As far as the tar balls, they were very small. My son as well as me spent everyday at the beach. If I felt that it was unsafe I would have not had him in the ocean. Listen to Kenny and also read P'kid review of Navarre. We had such a blast, found lots of seashells and saw lots of dolphins and even a shark. Looking forward to come back for a weekend visit.
missingp'cola

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 pm

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100624/NEW ... cola-beach
I think some of the confusion is because people are hearing that the Gulf has been closed for swimming on most of pensacola beach (according to the pensacola news journal, for whatever that's worth)... but the actual beach/sand in that area is not currently closed. So again, the water is closed there...but not the beach.
According to the PNJ:
"The Gulf closure is from Park West at the Fort Pickens Gate recreation area through beach walkover No. 23, slightly west of Portofino.
The water in that area is closed until further notice. Double red flags posted on the beach mean civil citations can be issued by deputies to anyone disobeying lifeguards' orders to stay out of the water.
Swimming and wading is still allowed in the Gulf east of walkover 23, and in the sound side, Health Department spokeswoman Molly Payne-Hardin said."
staciwright09

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 pm

I cannot thank you all enough for updating as much as you guys do! Please keep it up..... I agree... you can't listen to people in the media that aren't there to actually report the truth. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and keeping up with the Navarre Beach news! :)
flamingoqueen

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 pm

The information provided in the Santa Rosa News Release was just what I was looking for..thank you, Kenny, for posting the link to it. As of right now, we're planning on arriving on beautiful Navarre Beach Saturday morning...yes, we drive all night to get there so we don't waste a minute of daylight traveling! We continue to pray that the oil stays well off the shore of Navarre, in fact, that it just gets pulled back out to sea so no further damage is done.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 pm

If you have facebook, you can get updates from many beach watchers from Panama City Beach to Navarre at

My brother started it. We welcome input from anyone watching the beach.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Some very good points have been made considering the ability to predict conditions of whether we will experience oil on the beach at any particular time. Even though we have made great advances in weather prediction, how many times do you find any local predictions to be spot on, absolutely correct in every detail? The prediction of oil on the beach depends on the same weather predictions. Please, everyone, base your plans on what you hear from those of us that see, smell, and feel the beach and it's water every day, not on media or others looking for hype in thier reports.

The media always plays on the worse case scenerio. Even our local media has predicted bad scenerios for weeks that we have yet to experience. They also report with the same hype as the national so not to be out done or in order to get thier own, selfish, national exposure.

I had the experience of speaking with a local TV reporter on the pier the other day who was trying his best to make deteriating june grass out to be spots of oil. Even after it was explained to him in detail of what we have witnessed for years, his piece on the news showed shots of the june grass with the statement "being tested for oil content" with no mention of it being deteriating june grass, nor was there later mention of test conclusions. As I said to him "You want it to be oil, don't you?", and, of course, he implied that it was oil in his report.

Even in the same local channel's report of the oil that reached the P'cola Beach area yesterday, they showed shots of the beach that made the mixture of grounded june grass and oil look like it was all oil with no mention that much of what comprised the long, wide, dark strip down the beach was rotting june grass. Yes, oil had reached the beach but not as bad as it was made to look.

A young, ailing porpose was also shown being cared for and it's death attributed to the oil even though they did say an autopsy would be performed to establish the exact cause of it's death. It may well of died from oil contamination but, not mentioned,is that many dolphin are found this time of year that die from other causes. Even the shock of being handled as they did this one could contribute to it's death. Why were there not more found since they travel together, in pairs, or pods of many? Why make it out to be caused by the oil till that is proven? The "why?" is for the hype.

The results that have and will come from this oil spill are bad enough without the hype of the news media or others looking for hype in thier conversations concerning the oil. We all are looking for resuts of the spill and many things are being attributed to the spill that are not remotely related but are normal happenings gone without notice till now.
Last edited by David on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
bonneau29431

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 am

I have been watching web cams for Navarre for a while and see alot of people in the water and except for the June grass beautiful water, see ya in JulyNavarre!
Shell Hunter
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 am

david - thanks for your common-sense explanations and experienced observations! the local media exaggerating ticks me off even more - they should know better :evil:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:28 am

AMEN! to that ~ they SHOULD know better, but it's all about them getting national exposure. As I mentioned in another post, they should all be unemployed for awhile to see what it's like and how they contribute to that problem!!!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 am

i agree, AG. and they are harming the regulars (locals) that watch them! guess they want their 10 seconds worth of "fame" like so many others. :roll:

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”