Oil today?

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
staciwright09

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am

I keep hearing in the news that there is oil at the beaches.... What about Navarre? Could someone give a current update as of today?

Thanks
expark

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Tar Balls are ALL OVER THE BEACH
Not a Boat in sight all week
Not a worker cleaning up as far as the eye can see
There are two vans sitting at the last public beach parking area
Do not think you can tiptoe around it. Its already buried under the top you step in it no matter where you go.

When is BP going to bring in Help? Over 800 skimmers are sitting in dock
because some law passed in 1990 they have to be on standby in case there is an oil spill. BULLITEN THERE IS AN OIL SPILL!!!!

All over the world Skimmers are waiting to come, WE MUST DEMAND SOMEONE IN CONGRESS PASS A BILL TO WAIVE THE JONES ACT, BECAUSE OUR ARROGANT PRESIDENT IS NOT GOING TO DO IT!

SAD DAY FOR NAVARRE BEACH
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 pm

define "all over the beach" please - from where to where? from Gulf Island National Seashore (west) to the pier and farther? yesterday they were at the west end of the beach.

please be specific - it would be a great help. usually when tar balls have appeared, it is only over a smaller stretch of beach, not the whole length.
staciwright09

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:40 pm

:( not the news i wanted to hear.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

saw some pics from today from an eyewitness - yes, tarballs, tho still don't know exactly the length of the beach affected. there ARE cleanup crews there, or were when the pics were taken.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I spent about 2 hours today photographing the very western end of Navarre Beach at Public Access 10, Public Access 11, Public Access 12, and at the eastern end of the beach at the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier.

I saw NO tar balls or any evidence of oil on our beach this morning. I saw dozens of BP workers walking the beach looking for a tar balls with no success. I have photos that I will post within an hour showing that reports of tar balls on Navarre Beach is not true.

I talked to a foreman at Public Access 11 and I asked him where were all the tar balls that the news media was reporting for the western end of Navarre Beach. He said that all the tar balls were mostly between the end of Navarre Beach and the first public access at the National Seashore. I went to that area and saw no tar balls. Then I went to the next public access at Opal Beach within the National Seashore and again NO tar balls. My BP reliable source proved to be absolutely 100% wrong. I will post photos from the National Seashore as well.

You are free to listen to the news media for your information, or you can read reliable reports on this Forum from those that live here. If we see tar balls we will let you know.

My report is subject to change and is based upon my visit this morning about 10:00am to 12:00pm.

JUNE 30 VIDEO REPORT FROM SANTA ROSA COUNTY
rtsp://204.90.20.174/videos/videoNB063010.rm

According to the video above there were a few tar balls reported yesterday at Public Access 11 and were quickly picked up by BP workers. The County’s video of this morning agrees with my assessment that there are no tar balls on the beach this morning.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:57 pm

pics i saw were from around noon or later, kenny. they are on the web.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I can only report what I saw and provide photos that prove my assessment.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 pm

understood. conditions are constantly changing on the beach, as they always do.
staciwright09

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 pm

gailjean..... where did you see this online? can you provide a link?

Thanks Kenny!
expark

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Kenny is wonderful amazing help to the enviroment and Navarre

Please come to 7685 Gulf Blvd walk out on the beach Barefoot
(I have mineral spirts and baby wipes to clean your feet after your walk)

About a mile from the west end

That is great if its only in this small area

YES TAR IS ALL OVER THE BEACH

[/img]
Beachy

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 pm

THANK YOU, Kenny! Sure appreciate your efforts to keep fact & fiction separated!

Two weeks from today & we'll be there! Countdown begins! :)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Staci,

As Kenny said...please listen to those that live there or are vacationing there presently. It has been said over and over again, the Media is wanting a story. They will make it up if they have to. Expark....you would also be wise to listen to the locals and not listen to others. Below is a report I received from our neighbors, friends/landlord that lives on Gulf Blvd. Kenny and some others are very good at posting daily. Even NOAA, as good as they are in many respects....they are not living and walking the beaches!!

Crossed over at the South Carolina walkover at about 11AM. High tide was at 10;52AM

The good news: There were some small tar balls...not nearly as bad as yesterday.

The bettter news: There were 46 people working cleanup, at that walkover.

Large skimmmer on the horizon just off shore
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Kenny,
Not sure where you were looking. I saw plenty of tar balls. Not to mention I heard a report from a public official that large oil spots are on the west end. I thought we were tar ball free on the east end this morning and then I went down one more condo length. Also, the only western walkover I went to this morning had many tar balls.

I had to look at a roof this morning. While up there I looked to the Gulf and could see an obvious sheen on the water.

Not a good day for me. Maybe it's the rain :I
expark

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 pm

I do own a Home ON THE BEACH

Keep you head in the sand

I would love to see your face when you pull it out

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”