Oil today?

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
missingp'cola

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks so much Kenny...I certainly want what you are reporting to continue to be the case, like so many others. We (8 of us) are scheduled to be there on Saturday for a week. It is very confusing though, since some locals are reporting a completely different experience. And PNJ, whose word I take with a grain of salt, is ofcourse painting an awful picture of Navarre today. They do have a few pictures of oil from down on the far west end...I recognize the houses b/c that's where we stay. Maybe Wregle will chime in soon with a report since I know she was arriving today. Maybe the tide took some of it back out last night??? Thanks again for all your hard work in giving us the facts...this forum is so important!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Our head is not in the sand expark! I understand your anger and frustration living there. All of us who love Navarre feel this pain. For many of us, this tragedy is quite literally touching and tearing at our souls. I consider myself one of them. My only point was, as has been made by several, many reports are false, especially from the media. Secondly, things change on a dime. What is bad today and remember, there is a hurricane out my way, will be better tomorrow. Lastly, I did not know you own a house on the beach or were there. If you say there is tar, then there must be but it could be worse and may very well get worse but let us be thankful for what we have at the moment. So many others including the brothers and sisters 8 miles to the west and especially further, have it so much worse. Peace!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:15 pm

If people are at the beach as a vacationer or property owners and they say they saw tar balls today, I have no reason not to believe them. It could be that when I started shooting photos about 10:00am this morning that the BP workers had removed the tar balls. I did see dozens of BP workers. If that is the case that should be good news to those that want to come to Navarre Beach. It means that BP is handling the problem. Maybe not a perfect situation, but a resolution to the problem for the time being.

Again, I will be posting my photos shortly that I shot this morning from Opal Beach to the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier. My photos will only include about 6 public access areas. I welcome all comments and photos from others whether it is positive or negative. What’s important is that our reports present the truth - and I believe they will.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

staciwright09 wrote:gailjean..... where did you see this online? can you provide a link?

Thanks Kenny!
check pm's, please!
momto4boys

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Well, I'm also super confused and torn :( I get that the news media will often hype things up. But, I'm seeing pics of giant tar balls and reading about oil sheen in the water. Are the pics faked??
I was so worried about bringing my children there, that I canceled our trip two wks ago. Only to decide to try again. Trying not to "live in fear".
We were heading out tomorrow night. I figured if there was a reason we couldn't go to the beach..that would be ok. We'd hit the water park in Destin. Visit the local restaurants, do some shopping. Whatever we wanted. As we aren't having to pay a dime for the house we're staying in (brother in law's).
But if with this storm system AND tar balls??? :( Looks like we could get there and be stuck in the house all day and night.
My husband wants to head further East. Maybe Tybee Island in GA. :(
lstanley

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

I was at NB today. My wife and I live in Hidden Creek estates in Navarre. We went over the sand walkover closest to the state park. That is where we usually sit. We were there around 11:00 am. There were no tar balls on the beach. A couple of surfers were out. We walked down the beach a couple of hundred feet towards the pier and found no tar balls. The water was rough but it looked okay to us.

I have been a member of this forum for about 4 years and rarely post but thought I would give my observation this morning.
momto4boys

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Hmm..someone commented after my last post but has since deleted it?
I'll answer anyways..

The one pic that keeps popping up everywhere that I said was "giant" says "bigger then a dinner plate". And well, it was. But who knows if it was actually from Navarre?? All the sites I saw it on said it was.

And I live in the midwest, so I get the whole weather thing. We had scattered storms in the forecast almost every day last wk. But, only one day of rain. I just wasn't sure how it works there, especially with this hurricane. We were actually going to leave tonight, but didn't want to drive in heavy rain. I have 4 children to think about. I'm trying to do what's best for them. I'm worried about driving 13 hours to sit in a house for 4 days. Not to mention the time my husband would have to take off from work, that would make it so where we couldn't go anywhere else if this turned out badly. But, yea..guess that's the risk you take any time you make these kind of plans. Weather comes and goes..fact of life. But, I am grateful I have the luxury of changing my plans at any given minute.
Maybe we just wait it out some more? We can try again in a couple of wks.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

PHOTOS FROM PUBLIC ACCESS 11

Here are my photos about 10:00am this morning at Public Access 11 about 0.5 miles east of the western end of Navarre Beach. The photos below show small particles of green june grass, but no tar balls. Also, note that the BP workers seem to be looking for tar balls rather than picking them up. So if tar balls were on the beach earlier this morning its apparent that they did a good job in removing the tar balls.

I'm showing my photos from Public Access 11, because this is the site I believe where tar balls were reported this morning. I can only report and photograph what I see.

Image© Kenny Wilder Photography – www.KennyWilder.com

Click images to enlarge
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
lss

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Further west of here is where my friend took pics and posted pics on another forum. There was tar on the beach.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:56 pm

yes, there certainly was! but i did not know exactly where those pics were taken, just more on the west end.
expark

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I know how much it means to spead a week at the Beach
I started to come to Navarre with my family 25 years ago
We went to Telluride to ski and Navarre for the beach
Because to me they are two of the most amazing works of our creator

Should you come for your hard earned week? I just walked 2miles down to the east.
Yes tar balls are on the beach every step I saw them. Just walk by the surf its VERY CLEAN easy to walk, and plenty of room to set up your chairs.

IT IS STILL THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACH!

A Vacation is all about making memories with your family; Navarre Beach
is still like no other beach. If you like crowds its not for you.
Here is what you do; Bring your beach chairs sit before the tide line or in front of it the sand is CLEAN. Bring some Baby wipes in a zip lock. This is not going to spoil your hard earn trip!!! Do not worry it will still be a trip to the beach you always will remember. This is not anything to stop your Vacation here.

Two years ago jelly fish were everywhere and they hurt I had to have Vinegar with me now I have to have Baby Wipes.

Do not hesitate to come it is fine, I am going to tell you the truth.
There are tar balls There are NO BP WORKERS ( Kenny if you know where they are send them down)

P Kid Peace, I know you and Kenny are two people who care more about Navarre and keep us very informed.

Life is about Health Happiness and Love
This is nothing in the big picture
It too will Pass but the memories will last.
Come make some memories
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:51 pm

expark,

Thanks for your report. You are absolutely correct that "IT IS STILL THE MOST BEAURTIFUL BEACH!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 pm

PHOTO FROM PUBLIC ACCESS 12
Last Public Access on Navarre Beach
0.2 miles from the western boundary

My first stop this morning was at the last Public Access on Navarre Beach #12. This access is about 2000 feet from the western end of Navarre Beach. Again, no tar balls were visible to me. If there were tar balls earlier this morning at the very western end of the beach, the BP works did a great job in cleaning up the area. The photo below shows that the BP workers are not actively picking up anything other than the worker in the bottom of the photo scooping up what looked like to me green june grass. The photo below was shot at exactly 10:08am this morning.

Click image to enlarge
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 pm

From Santa Rosa County this afternoon

Deepwater Horizon Incident Update #51
http://204.90.20.174/news/newsrelease/1 ... ILUD51.pdf

Situation Update

Navarre Beach and Santa Rosa’s entire coastline is open for swimming and fishing. Two links to live Web cams on Navarre Beach are available at www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill.

Today, June 30 county staff reported numerous dime to quarter-sized tar balls in the water around the pier, and swimming areas on Navarre Beach near dune walkover number two. Due to their consistency, size and color, these tar balls have blended in with natural material washing ashore.

At approximately 5:15 p.m. today, June 30, Navarre Beach was impacted with intermittent, pea-size tar balls to larger dollar-sized tar patties west of beach walkover number 8 (near intersection of Indiana Street and Gulf Blvd.) to the Gulf Island National Seashore.

Rainbow sheen and various sized tar balls were reported two miles out from the Navarre Pier.

There are currently no swimming or fishing restrictions on Navarre Beach or anywhere in Santa Rosa County

Beachgoers may see signs posted in areas that are being or are scheduled to be cleaned, which also indicate what beach areas near public walkovers have no current oil impacts. The areas being cleaned are not closed, but beach goers may find other portions of the beach more enjoyable.

Cleanup crews did not work last night due to weather conditions and were delayed this morning until approximately 9:30 a.m. due to the lack of staged equipment at Navarre Beach.

Tar balls, tar patties and sheen have been reported in Northwest Florida and impacts are expected to continue within the next 72 hours.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
momto4boys

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 pm

expark, it's posts like yours that make me want to see this place even more! The pride and love for your beach is heart warming. AND heart breaking at the same time. I only wish I'd taken my brother in law up on his offer to use his home years ago.
My husband and I will see and be able to appreciate the beauty no matter what. My 6 yr old?? Not so much. He'll want to dig in the sand. Which..may or not have clumps of tar in it. Play in the water. That may or may not have a sheen of oil in it.
The end of your post hit me the hardest..
"Life is about Health Happiness and Love"
I couldn't agree with you more! And the health and happiness of these four boys that I love with all my heart...is all that really matters to me. I'm still paranoid of the health risks. And now with the storms, I worry being stuck indoors will make for unhappy little boys.
I will continue to pray this ends soon. So other families can continue to come there, and enjoy!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”