Oil today?

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 am

PHOTOS FROM THE NAVARRE BEACH PIER
Eastern end of Navarre Beach

Here is a photo that I shot at about noon on Wednesday when it was raining. It seems that small tar balls smaller than a dime were reported in the water. I shot my photo from the top of the 30 foot high Pier and was unable to verify because of the distance and the dark color of the water's storm surge. I was surprised to see so many people on the beach with dark clouds and rain. Again, if there were sizable tar balls on the beach earlier in the day BP workers must have removed them. I hope the workers were able to clean the entire beach.

Image© Kenny Wilder Photography – www.KennyWilder.com
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bonneau29431

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 am

You have to remember even if there is oil on the Gulf side you have the sound to enjoy. Taht is my plans when I come in exactly 17 days. My party of 4 is looking forward to coming and we have made plans to fit any need.
Shell Hunter
Home2007

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 am

June 30 11:30 AM 7500 - 7400 Gulf Blvd. to last western access point

June 30 5 PM 7500 - 7400 Gulf Blvd. to last western access point

gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 am

momto4boys wrote:expark, it's posts like yours that make me want to see this place even more! The pride and love for your beach is heart warming. AND heart breaking at the same time. I only wish I'd taken my brother in law up on his offer to use his home years ago.
My husband and I will see and be able to appreciate the beauty no matter what. My 6 yr old?? Not so much. He'll want to dig in the sand. Which..may or not have clumps of tar in it. Play in the water. That may or may not have a sheen of oil in it.
The end of your post hit me the hardest..
"Life is about Health Happiness and Love"
I couldn't agree with you more! And the health and happiness of these four boys that I love with all my heart...is all that really matters to me. I'm still paranoid of the health risks. And now with the storms, I worry being stuck indoors will make for unhappy little boys.
I will continue to pray this ends soon. So other families can continue to come there, and enjoy!
sounds like this year may not be the year for you to come, especially for the first time, and especially because you are so worried.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:35 am

did you know that you spelled "chief" incorrectly? the old "i before e" rule, ya know.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:35 am

I think that blame would go to BP. Most people that don't live at NB simply want to know what exactly is happening with this situation, and rely on the local people to report the truth, which I'm sure you know doesn't always happen with the media. We are arriving tomorrow, and plan on having a great time, despite what the conditions may be, and knowing full well that they change frequently. Fortunately there is this site to provide us with just that information.
lss

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 am

CheifBigWater wrote:gailjean and Home2007,

Congratulations on singlehandedly destroying tourism at Navarre Beach. Post a picture of yourselves so we can establish you as the poster child for "don’t vacation at Navarre Beach".
I guess not posting pictures and bilking people out of their vacation savings is better?

Totally ridiculous post, Chief. :roll:

Pretty much established that many will come and find other things to do in the area. Local people are keeping it local and helping the economy.

Pretty rude of you to treat Home 2007 and Gailjean...two lovely people who love the area...as you just did. But typical for this forum.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 am

agree on all points, southernbreeze. and thank you for still coming, and making the best of a sad situation! :D
lss

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:41 am

I think it's great to see the truth of what is going on and the fact that the beach, at this point, is being tended to by BP. Why would anyone have a problem with the pictures being posted of the oil or of the clean beach after cleanup? It presents the full view for those who need the information in making their plans for the beach.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:47 am

You know, in viewing the latest pics (above), I have to wonder, as should everyone else, what is the real motive behind posting these pictures? Is it to prove to "outsiders" that there are tar balls on the beach? Is it to possibly keep tourists away? Is it directed at anyone else showing the opposite views?

Look folks, you would have to be a complete idiot to not understand, there are millions upon millions of gallons of crude oil in the Gulf and that it continues to gush as I type. THERE ARE TAR BALLS IN THE GULF! THERE IS OIL WASHING ASHORE IN MANY PLACES ALONG THE GULF! THERE WILL BE OIL IN THE GULF FOR A VERY LONG TIME, PERHAPS EVEN DECADES, IF THE VALDEZ IS ANY INDICATION. Those are givens and we all know this! Things have changed since last year, all along the northern Gulf! We don't need pictures proving there are tar balls. We know this!! So, why post them?

There have been many reports and pictures posted, showing very clean beaches. Is Navarre or any other place along the northern Gulf the way it was last year or the year before or the year before that....NO! We have the greatest ecological disaster ever to occur in our history, happening right now. However, it changes hourly. What is there one hour, may not be there the next! Moreover, Navarre has not been hit nearly to the degree in which other Northern Gulf communities have been hit. I am testament to that, as are several others.

Tomorrow, it may be biting flies, or jellyfish, or sargassum or another hurricane.

I urge those who continue to post pictures of tar balls and painting a bleak picture to either stop or show/tell the good points as well. For every picture that is posted showing this, one can be shown showing the opposite. So what is the/your point? To me, it is either to counter, someone else, or to keep the tourists away. It is not to inform others! As I stated, we all know by now there are tar balls.

Navarre Beach needs people to come down. Navarre Beach is not ankle deep in crude. The beaches are open, the pier is open, the fishing is open, the Blues are flying, the restaurants are open, Juana's is a blast and frankly, tomorrow or the next day, the water will be pristine again (after the storm subsides).

And by the way, two weeks ago, we had a day that was very similar to the pictures above. That very night the tide took them away and we had Carribean waters the remainder of the week.

It changes, it evolves and will continue to do so. SO, COME ON DOWN TO NAVARRE AND ENJOY YOUR VACATION!
bonneau29431

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:51 am

I can't believe people want to show the negative, as I keep saying there is the sound side I urge all to go to Navarre you will not be disappointed we discovered it 2 years ago and I will go again even if it is just to enjoy the beauty and the sound side and all the other sites to see. Don't be discouraged GO!!!!!
Shell Hunter
lovenavarre

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 am

Our family has been making the journey down I-10 to Navarre for almost 25 years now. There have been many things that have kept us out of the water - jellyfish, extreme seaweed, bad weather, even hurricanes....but this did not deter us from coming back. And we WILL be there in 2 weeks. Navarre is breathtaking...Navarre is not just sand, and water.....it's the magnificent beauty of one of the most wonderful places on earth. The oil will not keep you from walking outside in the morning to catch an incredible sunrise and see the dolphins jumping, not will it stop you from seeing the incredible colors at sunset - hues you cannot believe. Just walk around the brown blobs if they are there, thank the workers who are helping to keep the beach pristine and offer them a cold bottled water. Walk along the shoreline and look for shells.

Those of you who feel the need to post "negative" images, get a job with the media.

Can't wait to start packing.....and I can't wait to set foot on the new pier!!! Navarre.....here we come!!!!!!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 am

that's the info that people need to know, pkid - that the next day it can very well be gone! :D

posting pics showing the actual tarballs does let people know what to expect - they were not posted to keep people away. it is not correct, either, to say that the beaches are clean when they are not (and yes, conditions change quickly). but it should be more definitive - saying they are all over the beach is not accurate either as we know that it shows up usually over sections.

there have been many positive posts and suggestions on what to do in the event that conditions get worse. i thank all visitors who have decided to keep their reservations and come to NB and make the best of their visit.
staciwright09

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks Pensacola Kid.... Amen to that! I can't wait to be there for my 1st time.. oil or no oil, we will be there July 14th! By the way, I have NEVER been to a real beach before... what is the "sound side" I need some education on this.
bonneau29431

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 am

The sound side is the other side of the island which can be called the intrecoastal waterway, I will be down there in 2 weeks also, I have already started packing that is how excited I am to be in a beautiful place such as Navarre. We have beaches in South Carolina but compared to Navarre ours are not even given a rating in my book. When those of you who post here in a conversation at Juana's mention your post name, that would be cool to match faces with names. I will be the one with the awe in my eyes. We are bring a couple from Tennessee and I can't even begin to describe the total beauty to them.
Shell Hunter

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”