Navarre Beach oil clean up has obstacles

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
GONEFISHING

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 am

Remember when the the topic on tents and umbrellas was shut down because they wanted to focus on the oil spill and not illegal tents and umbrellas. Well folks I was watching the county tractor trying to remove tar balls from the beach @ 7:45 am and he couldn't in areas where the tent frames were left up over night. Like I said "THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS"
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 am

yep - one step forward, two steps back! :roll:
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Move them out of the way. OIL removal is priority #1.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am

Beachgirl,

Please do NOT use OIL, "capitalized" mind you, in that! There is no OIL....only tar patties and that is sporadic and tide related. Oil sends an incorrect message. Oil is waaaay further west!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Been there everyday. I know right where each are. Please do not treat me like I am stupid.
beachkin

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:03 am

:) In the mist of all this anxiety and worry every now and then I read a post that puts a smile on my face.
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:36 am

I'm sure beachgirl is not trying to exagerate. She loves the beach as much as any of us.

Remember she has been out there picking up the tar, even that the crews left behind. How many of us have done that as yet???

Be sure to read the first sentence in the below:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/deepwaterhor ... l_info.pdf
Last edited by David on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:47 am

Beachgirl,

I did not imply, nor was I, that you are stupid. You are not and I know you do a lot for Navarre Beach and I also know you are out there every day.

All I was saying is, that many people are looking at this forum every day and trying to decide things. "Tar" can be dealt with. "Oil" to many, sounds as if it is crude or the goopy stuff washing ashore in other places, is washing ashore in Navarre. Yes OIL is out there and perhaps not too terribly far off Navarre beaches. It is not there yet though. That is all I was saying.

I am sorry I offended you!
Mermaid-1

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:46 pm

I wish I knew more about the specifics of "tar" and oil". Can they be so separated in nature that one could even at times say.... with reasonable accuracy.... that there is no oil where there is tar?

I have wondered about this.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:08 pm

MM-1, it's basically different stages of the same thing as you will note in the explanation recorded in the link provided in David's post above. (Thanks, David, for that very good link, BTW.) Here is a copy and paste from another source ... a Reuter's article that also explains it to a great degree of accuracy:

"Following are some facts about tar balls:

- They are the remnants of crude oil dumped into the ocean by marine vessels or, in this case, by a blown-out undersea well. They are "little, dark-colored pieces of oil that stick to our feet when we go to the beach," according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

- During the initial stages of a spill, the oil will spread into a thin slick, leaving it susceptible to tearing by wind and wave action. The smaller patches that result often disperse over a wide area and some of the crude mixes with water to form an emulsion that looks like chocolate pudding.

- This mix is thicker and stickier than the original oil in the spill, but it can still be torn by wind and waves. The smaller pieces it breaks into are tar balls.

_ They can be as big as pancakes but are mostly coin-sized, according to NOAA."

I hope this explains what you are asking.

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 am

TPB......I had to laugh hysterically at this!!! Good post! Maybe we can add, "slime ball" to the tar ball part!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:35 am

When they say tar platter, that gives you a visual as to the size.
Most of what is coming on the beach by the condos is pea size to hand size.

This is not to say that they come up everyday. There are the clean up workers and now regular people out there picking up the oil (tar) as it comes on shore. This is needed. As we have seen in Pensacola, if you don't get it up right away, at the next high tide, they get buried under the sand. This is why clean up everyday is so important.

You can get the tar on you in the water. But it has to be out there that day. Most of the time it is from stepping on it. The tar balls mainly drift along the sea floor, not up on top. If you step on them, it will get on you. Some people get it on other areas for a variety of reasons. This is not common.

I am very careful where I walk in the mornings. I try to stay off the area with the oil. I still get to wash at least one spot off my feet on days there is oil on the beach. It comes off easily with dawn.

I know some places have put out gojo. I personally do not like the gojo. It is gritty and hard on the skin. If the oil doesn't come off easily with the dawn, just add a little sand and it comes right off without irritating the skin. There is a reason the wildlife people use dawn and not gojo.
zzzoey

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 am

[quote="ThePeoplesBeach"]First Tar Ball washes up on Navarre Beach

This is racist and your profile photo is sexist............and you're gross.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am

i do not like obama, but i don't like this pic/caption either.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:22 am

Any time anything is mentioned negatively in terms of Barry....it is automatically (and this continues to be the left's Ace up the sleeve) racists!

This is not racist...it is a joke! Although there are many similarities to the tar, the problems it is causing and Obama and the problems he is causing...namely, more tar than there should be. Permits, restrictions, codes, studies....all that get in the way of clean up.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”