Navarre Beach oil clean up has obstacles

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 am

oh, i have no problem with political jokes, pkid - do you ever read mallard fillmore (comics)? they are so baaaadddd, but i love 'em.

tar ball is just alittle too close to a common racial slur for my taste.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:39 am

I have never in my life, heard the phrase, "Tar Ball" to refer to a black person or dark skinned person.

Now what the left, Obama and frankly this country should be outraged about is the fact that they gave a known racists, KKK Grand Pubbah, Byrd, a farewell send off like no other. Oh, the left thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Imagine if you will...the outrage of the left and America, had that been Reagan or Bush that was a KKK Grand Dragon!

That, is racists!!! Oh....and Barry is also as much white as he is black. The media does not want you to know or even think that though. I am sure most of Pensacola Beach also feels he is a Tar Ball!!
bonneau29431

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:44 am

You got my vote on that!!!!!!!!!!!11111
Shell Hunter
GONEFISHING

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Can we please be politicaly correct and not call our President a TAR BALL. He is a SLIME BALL and a SLEEZE BALL
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Those are givens!! I am sure if we look back at history, there were plenty of examples of derrogatory statements made toward George W, pertaining to Katrina. Afterall, he caused the hurricane, don't ya know! No...years from now, Obama will be known as the President who did very little in the way of the Oil Crisis except resemble a tar ball.....that is, roll around the beaches, get in people's way, be a nuisance, cause trouble and taint the areas for which he visited (again, ask the good people/business owners of PBeach). Quite frankly, I think he will ultimately go down as not only the very worst President we ever had (by a long shot) but one that did all the above in everything he touched! He has a dandy record thus far!!! Tar ball it is!!
livinglarge
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Kenny I have always supported this forum but the "tar ball washes ashore" is a bit much even for a repub. like myself. That goes over the line on the racist side don't let some rednecks take this informative site into the gutter.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Livinglarge,

As I discussed on a p/m earlier today with another member....I believe people are reading into this more than is there. Some, perhaps many, are equating the name, "tar ball" with a racially themed word of years gone by. I believe we all know what that name is. TPB did not call him that or any other name other than, "Tar Ball!" Had he used the latter, I would certainly agree with you. He did not and under the dire circumstances we are under and given the nature of this catastrophe and some of the biproducts of this catastrophe, and who is NOT leading in this catastrophe, it is almost like the shoe fits. People are wanting to tie the two together and they are not. There is no question George W. Bush, should he be in this situation, would be called this, if not much worse. He was, if you recall, called a racists, a murderer and much more for leaving those poor, poor, NO people on the rooftops with nothing more than an American flag!!!!! Again, equate the properties of the tar balls/patties with what I said above and his response to this.....they go together! Lastly, "they" want to make this a racial Presidency. Anything that is said against this man in any way, shape or form and in any context, is going to be viewed as racial and those saying it, as racists. That is not the case!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Allow me to say one last thing on this issue.......

How about everyone getting as fired up about doing what we can do to get this man off his %#@ and doing what a President should be doing in such dire circumstances, as we do about getting all up in arms about something some perceive to be racial name calling. This man has done virtually nothing but hinder the efforts, cost people money, jobs and lives not to mention continuing to pollute the Gulf of Mexico. It is painfully obvious this man is so far over his head, hasn't a clue as to how to lead or manage and is clogging up efforts, because he thinks more about permits, studies, COE approvals and the like. The bottom line is, this man should have called out every single resource on this planet. We should have every single skimmer in the world, in the GOM right now. The Jones Act should have been overturned immediately and every offer of foreign assistance should have been accepted. Think how far ahead we would be right now!

Personally, calling the guy and tar ball is letting him off lightly! More accurately, he resembles a, "sack of Pelosi!"
Arlo

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 pm

When I read the "tar ball" posting yesterday, I fully expected the moderator to strongly state his objection to this type of racist post and more likely to delete the post entirely. I wish this thread would go away.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 pm

now those are funny! :lol:
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 am

I grew up in an era when the Uncle Remus storys were taken for what they were. They were storys from black culture, yes, observed and written by a white man, that were meant to teach youngsters of all races some lessons of life. Mark Twain read these tales to his kids who were elated when Twain introduced them to the author. Walt Disney made a movie based on them.

No one of any race thought the stories to be "raciest". The "tar baby" in the Br'r Rabbit story had no raciest meaning. It was a sticky circumstance that the rabbit could not rid himself of til thrown into the briar patch. The lesson of the story is obvious.

It is only in recent years that some in thier infinite wisdom and pursuit of political correctness have thought and labeled the stories to be "raciest" rather than a reflection of the culture of the time as they were intended. They wanted "Uncle Remus" to have the same connotations as "Uncle Tom". Now they want "tar ball" to have raciest connotation.

Many have never read nor heard the story, yet they find the term "tar baby" offensive. Many do not know that the "tar" referred to in the story was the tar derived from pine trees, the same that was used to seal out water on the hulls of the wooden boats of that period. The pine tar was more of a dark golden (amber) color, not necessarily black. It was also used in medicines and we used it as a salve that helped heal the split hooves of a horse and the split heals of people. A "tar baby" was not necessariy a black baby. Calling someone a "tar ball" has nothing to do with race, maybe character, but not race.

I grew up knowing the term "tar baby" to mean a sticky situation or person that was difficult to get rid of til it got much worse (thrown in the briar patch), somewhat like the situation we find ourselves in with Obama. At no time did I think of "tar baby" to be a black baby or a situation experienced only by blacks, nothing about the term was considered "raciest". Really, what about it should be considerd "raciest"? "Tar" was used to show content of the stickey trap, not to show color which would not have been black anyway (maybe in a graphic since colors were not a norm in the books of the period). Just as P'cola Kid, I have never heard "tar baby" or "tar ball" used as a raciest term. If anyone has, please enlighen us with an example, some proof. What in the word "tar" or "ball" do you consider "raciest"???

It is silly and overboard, to me, to see/hear someone thinking the term tar baby or tar ball as "raciest". The tar baby(made from pine tar and probably amber in color) in the Uncle Remus story was not "raciest" in meaning but was a sticky situation for the rabbit, something the British might call a "stickey wicket".

We need to get out of this unproductive political correctness trap and quit looking for something raciest everytime Obama is critiqed.

Would anyone think it raciest if that was a characture of Bush climbing from the Gulf water with oil and tar dripping fom his body and the term "tar baby" or "tar ball" was used??? Naw, most would laugh thier a-- off! So why in the hell should some get so bent when it is Obama????

Get real folks, you are stuck in the in the political correctness trap, a "stickey wicket", a "tar baby". Shake yourself loose before you end up in the briar patch.
Last edited by David on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:11 am

You are right!

I used the "tar baby" comparison because it is just as silly to think "tar ball" is a raciest term. I changed the post a little to make that clearer.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 am

MillionYearMan, David, Redshark...thanks for the comments. MYM hit the nail firmly on the head about the racists remarks.

SO I URGE EVERYONE IN A FEW MINUTES TO GO UP TO THE POLITICAL THREAD ABOVE, ON THE OPENING PAGE AND READ THE LENGTHY BUT VERY EASY READ ON WHY, THIS PRESIDENT HAS WAITED AND PROCRASTINATED AND REFUSED TO ACT AND SIMPLY SAT ON HIS TAR BALL #@* AND DONE VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO CONTROL THIS HORRIFIC SPILL. Again, calling him a tar ball is letting him off far too easy.

Thanks again for the explanations, those above!!!

TPB......Shalom! Hey, give credit where credit is due!
electriceddie

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 am

I think tar ball is a fine comparison for Obama. They both wash up at inopportune times and cause more problems than they worth. Then we have to "create" a cottage industry to do the clean up as opposed to solving the problem. How long before Obama takes credit for putting "Americans back to work" doing the clean up?

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”