Fair and Honest

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
ProGator723

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Let me start by saying my family has enjoyed Navarre since the late 70's, and I will be back next year,if the good lord allows. I have been on the beach all week, rain and all, we did not start to see tar until Tuesday and it has progressively gotten worse. Today, (Thursday) is the worse by far, balls from dime size up tp 6" across, but NO OIL. You cannot walk the beach without getting it on you. The clean-up workers try to clean the beach, but the storm and rough waters are bringing thhis mess too fast to contend with. I watched the tractor and sweeper, it works like a hay rake and does a fine job on seaweed, but it is covering up more tar than it pickingup,(followed it for aprox 50 yards this morning at access #7)this is going to be a problem of it's own. All week we have enjoied the many other attractions of this beautiful place, friends that live here, the new pier, and this was the maiden voyage for my youngest grandchild(his mother was married on the beach in 2008). So if a family is coming here only for beach and water they will be disappointed,they will feel cheated if we all say everything is great come on down. The real truth is, this is bad and is going to get alot worse before it gets better. My family has enjoyed the week and tryed some retail therapy in the area, like I said we will be back, maybe not staying beachfront until things get better, but in navarre no less. No Oil, but lots of tar truth.
lsks

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I haven't read anything about any odor associated with the tar/oil. Could someone comment?
David
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 am

ProGator723,

Yes, the tar balls have gotten worse this week. I'm sorry you found so much during your stay.

BUT if our luck is as good as it has been the last few weeks we will again have clear beaches for a while.

Many worried about coming the last few weeks because of the tar that showed a few weeks back. Those that came in spite of what had occured earlier found the beach to be mostly free of tar during thier entire stay with little seen and none on thier feet. Teyla,who shared her worries but came anyway, then shared her very first visit with posts and photos during her stay, is a prime example. I had the pleasure of meeting her entire family and they expressed thier joy in coming to Navare Beach rather than opting for another destination.

Again, I'm sorry you found the tar to be bothersome during your stay but also feel that everyone should pay attention, not to the media and thier replays of the worst seen, but to the "fair and honest" reports given on this forum by those of us who view the beach daily each and every week. What you saw this week may be just a bad memory next week just as had occured before, a few weeks back.

Most of us that post our observations have nothing to gain or loose from our visitors other than new friendships. We, also, are not looking for 30 seconds of national fame as some in the media may be. We will be honest with our observations so those that wish to enjoy the sand and water in our little piece of paradise will have the chance.

We have been fortunate, no mater how bad it has been to the west of us. We still have no swimming or fishing restrictions as they have. Just as the beach changes from day to day, tide to tide, and with the winds, the oil will do the same. We may, again, see weeks of clean beaches with very little tar balls. Let's pray that will be the case and many visitors will still enjy our water and sand without the tarfull experience that you had.
Last edited by David on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 am

Thank you ProGator for your insight.

David, special thanks for to you for your perspective. Yes, as has been discussed at nauseum, there are tar balls. Some days good, others not as good. Plenty of places far worse for sure. And, as you said, things will change and really, on an hourly basis.
lsks

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 am

I can live with a few tar balls. How is the smell?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm

My money says the only smell you will smell, is that of the ocean and salt air!
ProGator723

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

That is absolutely correct, there is no other odor than the sea breeze.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Have there been any reports of crude or sheen moving into East Bay?
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Not yet. The sound in Navarre seems to be ok at this point also. Hopefully the boat will get put in the water tomorrow and I can give a sound report.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks beachgirl. Somebody said there was a glob of crude floating at the mouth of East Bay. I'm glad that is not true.
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
miked643

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:13 am

I'm the Michigan man that stopped and introduced myself to Kenny... Couldn't think who else would be out that early taking pictures!! As I said, we were at Navarre Towers all week and the beach was great. Weather could have been better (but did provide excellent motivation for the ladies to get shopping done). We did look for an influx of tar balls, but never really noticed any. The water wasn't fouled by oil or tar balls, and the only time we noticed oil residue on our feet was when we walked west of the Towers quite a ways. The pool at the Towers was closed one day because of tar/oil, but overall everything was great. Would we go back? BETCHA...

Thanks for a great forum... if we hadn't found this and the webcams we might well have canceled our visit and that would have been a shame!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:17 pm

It's to bad the pool was closed. If people check themselves once they left the beach, a problem like that could have been avioded.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”