"FAIR AND BALANCED" REPORTS

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Deepwater Horizon Incident Update #52

Navarre Beach and Northwest Florida

Situation Update

Navarre Beach and Santa Rosa’s entire coastline is open for swimming and fishing. Two links to live Web cams on Navarre Beach are available at www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill.

There are currently no swimming or fishing restrictions on Navarre Beach or anywhere in Santa Rosa County.

Today, July 1, Navarre Beach has been impacted with pea-sized tar balls. Larger dollar-sized tar patties were reported west of crossover number 8. Tar balls continue to come in with the tide. Clean up is ongoing.

Sheen surrounding a 50 by 50 yard tar ball patch was reported in the mouth of the Pensacola Pass. Tar balls intermixed with seaweed were also reported in the Pensacola Pass.

Beachgoers may see signs posted in areas that are being or are scheduled to be cleaned, which also indicate what beach areas near public walkovers have no current oil impacts. The areas being cleaned are not closed, but beach goers may find other portions of the beach more enjoyable.

Tar balls, tar patties and sheen have been reported in Northwest Florida and impacts are expected to continue within the next 72 hours.

NOAA trajectories continue to predict oil impacts across the western Florida Panhandle through Saturday as far east as the Choctawhatchee Bay.

Weather conditions continued to be unfavorable for recovery operations today, July 1.

There are 60 cleanup workers scheduled to be working on Navarre Beach tonight.

Cleanup crews from Mobile unified Command are cleaning private beaches and marshes

For More Info Go To http://204.90.20.174/news/newsrelease/1 ... ILUD52.pdf

Source: Santa Rosa County
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:07 am

Thank you Kenny! I know most of us are very appreciative of you doing this.

Personally, and as you have pointed out so well, I nor anyone else is opposed to real, true and live information being displayed on this forum. People need and want to know the truth. However, as you have again, mentioned....there is still plenty to tout about Navarre and those positives need to be mentioned in the same breath/note/video.

Doom and gloom only is not only not fair and balanced, it ultimately hurts the Navarre area.

So thanks again, Kenny!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 am

I visited and photographed every public access from the western end to the eastern end of Navarre Beach this morning starting at about 6:30am. I wanted to be there before the BP workers arrived, so I could show what Navarre Beach looked like before the BP cleanup. I started at the last public access on the very western end of Navarre Beach and as I left this public access the BP workers showed up. At each public access that I left more BP workers showed up.

THIS MORNING'S BEACH CONDITIONS
Absolutely NO TAR BALLS, OIL SHEEN OR OIL ON THE BEACH AT ANY PUBLIC ACCESS!

Within a couple of hours I will post my numerous photos so you can ascertain a true perspective of the beach conditions this morning at Navarre Beach.

In the past few days we have had folks on the Forum post comments or photos of tar balls to inform readers of this Forum. Some have claimed to report that their comments were “fair and honest”, “truthful” and in my case “fair and balanced”. So don’t you think that if we are going to post comments and photos on the Forum of tar balls, that we should tell the whole story especially if Navarre Beach was as beautiful as it was this morning.

I challenge Forum members to post your photos today of our beautiful Navarre Beach, so readers of this Forum get the whole story. I’m looking forward to reading your positive reports and photos of the beach today when it is beautiful and tar ball free. Come on guys let’s be “FAIR AND BALANCED”.

When I arrived this morning at the public access to the east of Navarre Towers, a friendly man came up and asked if I was yours truly. We talked for several minutes and I told him that there were reports of tar balls reported on the beach on Wednesday and Thursday. He lives in Michigan and said that he had been staying at Navarre Towers for the past 6 days and that he never saw any tar balls until this morning when he stepped on one that was so small that he could not see it.

Are there tar balls off shore in the Gulf? Yes, but they have not effected every area of Navarre Beach as being betrayed on this Forum. I have been to the beach about 40 times since the Gulf Oil Spill on April 24. The only time I have ever seen tar balls on the beach was on June 4, and I posted on this Forum my photos of the tar balls.

Well, if I don’t start transferring my photos from my flash card of this morning’s photos I’m not going to be timely in posting them. I’ll talk later…
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

people need to know when tarballs are sighted, but those reporting it should be more specific, if at all possible. not that it diminishes where the oil is or its impact, but visitors need to know whether it is the whole length of the beach, or a certain area.

everyone is trying so hard, in so many ways, to handle this all, especially the locals! it must be very stressful seeing an area you love hurt, environmentally and economically; then dealing with visitors who want to know details (and they should know these details), but really don't always get the uncertainty of it. An honest and balanced portrayal, even if it includes pics of tarballs on the beach, is the best.

and, of course, pics of the beautiful water - ALWAYS makes me smile (kinda like a "rocky mountain high" - i know, corny :oops: :D ).
ProGator723

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm

This is a beautiful day at the beach, I will also take your challenge to be balanced. As I stated in a previous post, I have been here for years and will be back. These pictures were taken this morning at public access #7, if you say there are NO TAR BALLS, I will kiss your tail and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd. My intent has never been gloom and doom or woe is me, but it is what it is, it is no more fair to lean one way as opposed to the other Also note the newest edition of our family to get this magical place between his toes.

gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

any coming in with the waves or in the water, progator? i'm going to be there tonite and this weekend.

a real cutie-patootie there in that first pic, BTW! :wink:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm

:lol: Now, that would be something to see! NOT!! You're hysterical, ProGator ... :lol:

Hey! What an adorable little addition to your family!

Geez, we haven't been in or near Coushatta in ages ... I'll bet it has changed a lot! We used to "hang out" at the Bank of Coushatta a lot in our business in NW LA.

Thanks for the posting ... those little bits of tar are actually encouraging. That means it isn't coming ashore here in massive "globs" of oil but is "encapsulated" as it were and is farther along in the biodegrading stage. I know it can be bothersome but could be soooooo much worse!

Hope you have a great vacation!

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Another generation being raised on the beach! I love it! Thanks for the pics ProGator!
ProGator723

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:26 pm

gailjean, there are some coming in the water, the workers are canvassing the beach doing what they can. peoples beach, in my post I stated no gloom or doom, but the tar is there and very prevalent (by the way in the last pic. that is a penny beside a tar ball, penny=larger than dime, oops blonde moment) I did not search for or go out of my to find just the right size, just pics, it is what it is. AG yes coushatta has grown, but much is the same.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Lvthebch,

I thought about my family generations and Navarre Beach, just last night.

My great grandmother, took my grandmother, who showed the way to my mom/dad, who showed me back in 1969 and I started my daughter on Navarre when she was 10 months old. She has been every year since then and now, hopefully, she will show her friends and ultimately, her kid(s). So, 5 generations now have called Navarre their paradise/"home away from home!"
ProGator723

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Pkid, you are so right. So many memories made and so many left to make in this wonderful place. Causeway, the title of this posting is Fair and Balanced, I have posted a total of 6 pictures, some good, some a result of what is happening in the gulf. 50/50. shame on me! shame on your math teacher. Reread my posts I am not about trashing this beautiful island that my family has enjoyed for so long, but many people use this as a guage of how things are. Fair and Balanced, or Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I will not engage in any more banter or one-up-man-ship. This is a glorius place that is going through a sad event. Our prayers are with the island and the great people that call this home.
Dale.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:58 pm

ProGator723 is today’s winner of the “Fair and Balanced” Award!

The challenge that I suggested was for Forum members to be “fair and balanced” by posting not only photos of tar balls (patties), but by also posting photos showing the beauty of Navarre Beach. ProGator723 posted photos that he shot today of both tar balls (patties) and landscape scenes, plus a great photo of the newest edition to his family. As far as I am concerned ProtGator723 met my challenge.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Took my first walk out on the beach. I did not see any tar or oil on the beach or in the water. The surf is still pretty rough as the red flags are flying. There are plenty of people out and in the water. Will let you guys know what i see throughout the week. The water has a great green color. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:01 pm

It is only going to get better for you, SouthernBreeze! Enjoy my friend!
jmed

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the info. and details!! "Fair and Balanced" is the only way to go! All anyone can do is report what they see at a particular location at a particular time....both the good and the not so good.

Knowing where the tar balls are and how intrusive they are is important as well as the clean up efforts being made. Seeing pics of the beautiful water and families enjoying the lovely beach is equally important - it lifts our spirits until we can get there to see it and enjoy it ourselves (which by the way, is just 7 days away for me!!) By the way, looking at the webcams and seeing all the people out on the beach today makes my heart smile!!! :D :D :D

Surely by now, as so many of you have pointed out, all forum readers understand that just because there are "tar patties" on Navarre Beach, does not mean the entire length and width of NB has tar. Unless it's storming, just looking at the webcams is proof that there are people enjoying the beach - tar patties or not.

SouthernBreeze - what part of the beach are you on or which condo? Thanks for keeping us posted this week during your vacation- have a great time!!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”