"FAIR AND BALANCED" REPORTS

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 pm

National Seashore had significant oil on the beach. I guess some would call them tar balls but they were 2feet by 3 feet in some places.
The areas by the parking areas had plenty of clean up workers and heavy equipment working. The areas where there was no parking had no clean up workers and the oil was easily visible from the roadway.
Driving into Navarre, there were several clean up workers at every beach access point. Not as many as the National Seashore.

An oil patch (they have been reporting this as mousse) was reported to be floating off the Navarre Pier. I did not see this myself but the person who called me with the report was positive this is what he was looking at.
I have not heard of any of this oil hitting the beach. Hopefully it was just the heat getting to him.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:02 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:Pier Access - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: Pier, Summerwinds and the other high-rise condos
No Tar Balls

NAVARRE BEACH THE BEAUTIFUL!

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. It was a spectacular morning at the Pier.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:24am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:26am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:28am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:32am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:33am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:43am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:47am

© Kenny Wilder Photography - www.KennyWilder.com
Click images for high resolution

More photo posts will follow shortly.
Laura Robinson and Other Readers,

Above are my photos and beach condition report on July 2 from page 2 of this thread, that I shot of the beach area of the Pier, 3 Summerwinds' towers and the other high-rise condos. Summerwinds' towers are adjacent just to the west of the Navarre Beach Fishing.

For the past 8 weeks I have photographed the Pier area many times. I have only photographed and witnessed tar balls on the beach one time and that was at the very western end of Navarre Beach on June 4. I am aware that the news media and a few Forum readers have witnessed tar balls on Navarre Beach, especially the western end of the beach towards Pensacola Beach.

I have not been as unfortunate as others in finding tar balls, and I sincerely hope that this pattern continues.

What I'm saying is yes there have been a few tar balls reported on Navarre Beach, but overall on a scale 1 to 10, I would rate our beach as a 9 over the past 8 weeks. Come on down to Navarre Beach and experience the best vacation that you have ever had. You will be glad that you did.

My photo online history of the condition of Navarre Beach since June 4
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/navarr ... l_clean_up
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
GONEFISHING

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:00 am

The BP workers are not as active with tar ball removal in my area as much as they have in the cross over ares. I noticed between 7 & 8 access the wind blown sand has covered the tar balls. BP is also very active near the pier.
furtherdowntheroad

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Walked a good bit of the Navarre Beach park this morning and it was beautiful.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Public Access #6 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: About 0.3 miles west of Arkansas St.
No Tar Balls

The Water Tower is across the Street from Public Access #6. This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass. I try to add at least 1 landscape photo in these posts that shows that Navarre Beach is still the beautiful.

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:01am

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:02am

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:07am

Navarre Beach Public Access Map PDF
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/documen ... verMap.pdf
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Public Access #5 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: About 1 Block East of Indiana St.
No Tar Balls

The light screen stuff is june grass. I try to add at least 1 landscape photo in these posts that shows that Navarre Beach is still the beautiful.

This Public Access is where the Life Guard Trailer is located. I talked with 3 of the workers and asked them had they seen any tar balls at this access. They said that when they arrived at the beach about 6:00am this morning that they saw no tar balls on the beach. My first photo below was shot at 8:13am and I saw no tar balls.

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:13am

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:15am

ImageDate: 7/4/2010 - Time: 8:17am

Navarre Beach Public Access Map PDF
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/documen ... verMap.pdf
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:35 am

The last pictures, you said are at the public beach access where the LifeGuard trailer is. Is that by Sundunes? This is the access we have used daily. We were out on the beach all day and saw very few tar balls. There was a lot of June grass so the water was not very plesant. Also the surf was extremely rough today. Yesterday, the 3rd, the water was also rough but very clear. No tar balls then either. There was actually a very beautiful wedding that took place on the sand in front of the large house to the east of Sundunes. There have been workers there daily for the past 3 weeks but really don't think they have had a lot to do. The beach is still beautiful. Hope it stays that way!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 am

Those are as beautiful shots as I've ever seen, Kenny, ... and I've seen a LOT of NB photos by many various photographers!!

For comparison, here's some I took a couple of years ago with my little Kodak digital and the beach looks much the same as then:

This one is from June '08:

This one from October '07:

Oh, I almost forgot to add ... the location from which I shot the top photo is just a little bit east of the old pier, maybe 25 yards from the former pier location, looking toward the Eglin AFB end of the island. Probably about the same location in the 2nd shot, as we tend to go to the same area of the beach every time. Creatures of habit!! ;-)

8)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:41 am

From beachgirl on the 3rd:
An oil patch (they have been reporting this as mousse) was reported to be floating off the Navarre Pier. I did not see this myself but the person who called me with the report was positive this is what he was looking at.
I have not heard of any of this oil hitting the beach. Hopefully it was just the heat getting to him.
beachgirl,

I was on the pier Saturday the 3rd. I was there most of the day of the 4th because of a king mackerel tournament.

What the person saw was the natural occurance of a "mud line" (nothing but murky brown water) moving toward the pier from the south. These "mud lines" are normally bay water washed to the Gulf through the passes.

The mud line moved to the end of the pier late in the day on the 3rd and was closer to the beach when everyone arrived on the 4th. It moved back off as the day progressed and would have looked like a long brown tinted streak from upper floors of the condos.

You might want to let the person know it was not the "chocolate mousse" they thought it to be. Mention that, next time, they should ask some of the regulars on the pier what it is. We recognize the mud lines for what they are because they bring catfish and sharks with them just as a grass line might bring prefered game fishes.

The mud line did bring many cat fish to the pier on saturday. It caused many shark to be hung by the mackerel fishermen on the 4th until the water began to clear. The first king was not caught til almost 12 noon.

Again, tell the person to drink more water or stay out of the sun :wink:, please clarify what they saw. If the news got hold of thier "positive" observation next thing would be "thick mousse witnessed all over the beach" when it was just a normal occurance of a mud line off the end of the pier.
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering when I couldn't confirm it either way.
Kayak Kid

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Great news, because our family is comming again!! this week so keep us uppdated Kenny!! thank you!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Kayak Kid,

Welcome to the NBL Forum. Have a great time when you visit Navarre Beach again.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:12 pm

David ~ Thank you so much for the info on the mud line! We were out on the pier on the 3rd and saw it also and wondered what it was. I thought it might just be sand that had been stirred up because the water was so rough. Saw it again on the 4th, thinking it was the same or even a sand bar. (Although it didn't appear to be as clear as a sand bar usually is) It explains why we saw so many catfish being caught Saturday and no Mackrel. I love the info I am able to learn on this forum! 2 wks ago - learned about the tide line - this week the mud line!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:55 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, JULY 21, 2010
FLORIDA EMERGENCY RESPONSE OFFICIALS ANNOUNCE TEMPORARY REMOVAL OF SUPPLEMENTAL BOOM DUE TO POTENTIAL TROPICAL ACTIVITY IN THE GULF

TALLAHASSEE- -The State Emergency Response Team, in coordination with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), today announced the removal of supplemental Tier 3 boom within the next 72 to 96 hours in the Panhandle counties. The removal is in light of the potential tropical activity in the Gulf of Mexico.

“During a tropical storm boom can cause additional damage to the natural resources that we are trying to protect from oil spill impacts,” said DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole. “Given the current oil spill trajectories and the tropical activity in the Gulf of Mexico we think this is the best decision for Florida’s communities.”

The removed boom and associated equipment will be temporarily stored in a secure location to protect it from weather-related damage and to also protect fragile coastline from impacts caused by dislodged boom. Following the tropical activity, should further oil spill impacts be projected, officials will redeploy the boom.

Following the Deepwater Horizon incident, BP deployed protective boom along the most sensitive areas of Florida’s coastline, in accordance with the US. Coast Guard’s Area Contingency Plan (ACP). In addition, the state in close coordination with the counties deployed supplemental Tier 3 boom to further protect areas not included in the ACP using funds from the $50 million awarded by BP.

For more information on Florida’s response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, visit www.deepwaterhorizonflorida.com , follow www.Twitter.com/FLDEPalert or call the Florida Oil Spill Information Line at 888-337-3569.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:46 am

Understandable. Depressing but understandable.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”