"FAIR AND BALANCED" REPORTS

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:59 pm

pensacolakid wrote:Lvthebch,

I thought about my family generations and Navarre Beach, just last night.

My great grandmother, took my grandmother, who showed the way to my mom/dad, who showed me back in 1969 and I started my daughter on Navarre when she was 10 months old. She has been every year since then and now, hopefully, she will show her friends and ultimately, her kid(s). So, 5 generations now have called Navarre their paradise/"home away from home!"
Thanks for sharing your story.............can't think of a better place to "Raise" children. :D One of God's greatest creations!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 pm

SouthernBreeze wrote:Took my first walk out on the beach. I did not see any tar or oil on the beach or in the water. The surf is still pretty rough as the red flags are flying. There are plenty of people out and in the water. Will let you guys know what i see throughout the week. The water has a great green color. 8)
Hope you and your family have a wonderful time! Looking forward to reading your reports!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Public Access #1 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: South Carolina Street - About 3.5 miles west of the Pier
No Tar Balls

This is the last Dune Walkover on the western end of Navarre Beach. I started shooting at this location this morning, because this is where large tar balls were reported on June 30 and July 1. I wanted to be here before the BP workers started their cleanup. My photos of June 30 showed no tar balls on the beach. That's because I arrived about 10:00am after BP had cleaned the beach. Folks conditions on the beach can change quickly and without no notice.

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. The bottom photo is of the BP workers arriving as I was leaving this public access.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 6:54am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 6:55am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 6:55am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:06am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:09am

© Kenny Wilder Photography - www.KennyWilder.com
Click images for high resolution

Navarre Beach Public Access Map PDF
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/documen ... verMap.pdf

I have many more photos from numerous public access areas that I shot this morning, therefore it will take several hours to post them all here separate posts. Be patient guys. I have to work this project in while I'm watching FOX NEWS the "Fair and Balance" (no pun intended) Network.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Public Access #2 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: About 2 blocks east of Ohio Street
No Tar Balls

This is the next to the last Dune Walkover on the western end of Navarre Beach. This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. The first photo below is of the BP workers waiting on tools and bags for the cleanup to start. The bottom photo is of the BP workers arriving as I was leaving this public access. They are pulling the tools for the workers on the beach. I will try to add a few photos of the Navarre Beach landscape to keep these photo posts “Fair and Balanced”.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:15am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:16am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:17am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:17am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:21am

Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Public Access #3 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: Michigan Street
No Tar Balls – maybe 1

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. Some of the BP workers were having a very hard time in locating tar balls at this site. After examining the 4th photo below in the lower right corner it is possible that the object about the size of a nikel may be a tar ball. The BP workers did not think so because they walked right past it. You can see in the photos that what the are trying to scoop up are not tar balls. If they are tar balls they are very small. Anyway, it was interesting walking with the workers along the beach at this site.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:28am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:29am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:29am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:30am

Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Public Access #4 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: About 150 feet west of Indiana St.
No Tar Balls

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed.

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:42am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:44am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:44am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:45am

Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Public Access #7 - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: About 100' East of Navarre Towers
No Tar Balls

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. I met a man from Michigan and he said he had been vacationing at Navarre Towers for 6 days and had seen no tar balls during his whole stay. He did say that this morning he noticed a small oil stain on the bottom of his foot that he washed off with no trouble. My photos were shot on the beach in front of Public Access #7 and Navarre Towers.

You can see in the bottom photo the red warning flag for rough surge on the Public Access #7 Dune Walkover. Navarre Towers is to the right and Belle Mer is to the left.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:56am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:03am

Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Pier Access - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: Pier, Summerwinds and the other high-rise condos
No Tar Balls

NAVARRE BEACH THE BEAUTIFUL!

This morning's photos show wide angle images and close up images. I saw no tar balls at this site. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed. It was a spectacular morning at the Pier.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:24am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:26am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:28am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:32am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:33am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:43am

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 7:47am

More photo posts will follow shortly.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Last Public Access To The East - Today's Beach Condition
Landmark: Navarre Beach Park
No Tar Balls

NAVARRE BEACH THE BEAUTIFUL!

I saw no tar balls at the Navarre Beach Park. The light screen stuff is june grass and the larger brown stuff is sea weed.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Adam Saltzman, BM3 with the U.S. Coast Guard. Saltzman allowed me to shoot the photo of him below. He and his team were on a mission to check every public access at Navarre Beach for tar balls or any other evidence of oil. He said that he and his team have been checking on all beach public access areas of Navarre Beach, National Seashore, Pensacola Beach, Fort Pickens, Perdido Key all the way to the Alabama State line.

I told Saltzman that I had a theory that the Pensacola Pass currents may be causing the heavier tar balls and oil sheen to wash up on the beaches of Fort Pickens, Pensacola Beach and the National Seashore, and that this might be protecting Navarre Beach. He said “Sir, that is not a theory that is a known fact with the Coast Guard.

This brings up an interesting point where the proposed Navarre Pass may not be such a good idea after all. When the scientific studies were conducted, I don’t believe any studies were directed towards a major oil spill in the Gulf.

ImageDate: 7/2/2010 - Time: 9:00am

Image Date: 7/2/2010 - Time: 8:26am

Well, that’s all folks. I tried to bring you the best “Fair and Balanced” report of what I witnessed this morning with my eyes and my Nikon D3X Camera.

Happy 4th of July to all of you!

Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Thank you Kenny....that about says it all for TODAY! You da man!!!!
furtherdowntheroad

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Our part of the beach did have a fair number of tarballs widely dispersed, nothing much bigger than quarter sized. The surf from the storm tossed them up pretty high and the ATV's and equipment ground them into the sand further. Personally pulled about 3 kitchen-size bags of tarballs and various matter they were stuck to, over about 100 feet of beach.

(You don't need to be trained to use a kitty litter scoop and a kitchen bag.)

Then bobbed in the water for a couple of hours and enjoyed the beach. A beach-lover has got to keep a balance

:wink:
furtherdowntheroad

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 am

Don't see much in the way of new tarballs this morning at Navarre Beasch midpoint. Beautiful day for the beach!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:44 am

Surf is very rough this morning. But the water looks pretty clear. Workers are out looking for tar at the tide line, but I don't really see much of anything where we are. Man it's windy, but beautiful clear skies.
8)
Beachy

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm

THANK YOU, Kenny! I love the pictures! I can't wait to be there! Eleven days and counting down! :D
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm

BEAUTIFUL day today! we had to take care of some business, so did not get down to the beach until 3:30pm. the water is that pretty blue-green, and clear! no sign of tar balls in this area in the water or on the sand, and we asked some coast guard men how things were looking. they said NB looked great. we are at the east end, so in front of the regency, then east past beach colony and the pearl, all looked great. i can't say for other parts of the beach.

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”