Outraged....

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
sharkbait408

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 am

We were at Navarre Beach Saturdaymorning.. We went to the far East end and continued on to Egland AFB beach front. From the very far East edge of the beach, we could not walk near the water without stepping in tar. It ranged from a bunch of small dime sized ones to really large ones that were about 14 to 16 inches across. They are everywhere on the East end. I can only assume that BP only cleaned near the pier and the condos as that is what most people see. We did see a couple vans pull into the parking lot and just thought they might work their way down to the East end and clean. I never saw them again, until we decided to leave due to the june grass.. not good for fishing.. Anyway at around 119pm, I tried to find someone to ask about the lack of clean up on the East end. I looked over the entire beach from Eglin AFB to the pier.. not one clean up person... I did later find all them sitting in air conditioned vans in the parking lot.. It doesnt seem to work very well to spend so much time in the vans with the tar balls washing ashore.. Then when I asked why no one was cleaning the beach front of Eglin Air Force Base. I was told that the crews could not do onto the base property.. Well, the oil isn't going to clean itself... I am talking to the Coast Guard to see what can be done about the base.. This should be interesting...I do realize that there might be some areas that are oil free, but there are alot more that still have oil everywhere. I just want people to know about these areas. To see what can be done to get some attention to these areas. Another point I might add to the fishermen.. My husband had to stop fishing due to the amount of June grass that kept collecting on his line. I have attached some pics. I can only hope this is temporary. It is usually day to day around here, but just wnated to put this out there.....

sharkbait408

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:19 am

I will post some video as soon as it loads..[/youtube]
sharkbait408

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:51 pm

This is the video of a stroll on Fort Pickens. You can see all the tar balls and large patties that have come on the beach. Some of this is almost to the road. I can only guess it was due to the surge of Alex.. I just wonder how long it will be there...

http://picasaweb.google.com/sharkbait40 ... 8425060978
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 am

sharkbait,

Interesting that you waked on the Federal property without being approached by APs. That area is restricted. Are the Federal property signs still there??

June grass, as has been discussed many times on the forum, is a normal occurance of nature in our waters. The winds, tides, and currents will move it to and from the beach. You are right, it is difficult to fish in. Most of us that fish on a regular basis find other places when we see the green june grass hanging close to shore. The beaches of the sound or the length of the pier allows for places without the june grass.

Nothing comes up but an error message for your video of the beach at Ft. Pickens. Maybe you posted it incorrectly.

The position of the oil in the Gulf has again moved much further to the west due to the strong east winds of the last couple of days. Maybe the beach at Ft. Pickens will have a chance to be cleaned since the oil is again to the west of them.

The movement to the west means Navarre Beach has no oil hanging off it's shore at the present time. We continue to be spared the invasion experienced to the west side of Pensacola Beach (Ft.Pickens). Prayer and a positive attitude is helping us.
David
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 am

If you go to the National Seashore, you will notice the clean up is occurring by the parking areas. I can understand the logistics of this. Also, this is where more people would come in contact with the oil. I am sure that the other areas will be addressed later. I think they are focusing on the visited areas in order to keep the tourism industry alive.
sharkbait408

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks for the video info. I uploaded another one to utube..

Regarding the walk onto federal property... We have been going to that particular area for about 3 years now. You may go onto the base property as long as you do not photograph anywhere near the base, nor can you walk towards the base itself and no littering.. We have had people from the base actually stop and talk to us when were are there. Ask about what's biting, how's the water, etc... The sign has been gone for about two years. I beleive it was removed compliments of Hurricane Ida. Neither the fence or the sign was ever fixed or replaced.

I also understand that they are trying to clean the most popular areas first, but I am seeing the oil moving down the beach towards the more populated areas repeatedly. This seems to be a very inefficient way of cleaning the beach.

Am still praying for everone affected....
sharkbait408

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 am

Once more, with feeling...

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:29 am

I still do not understand the meaning behind the constant and consistent posting of tar footage/pictures/video. Especially without an accompanying positive picture/video/footage.

I believe it is more than understood by anyone with a brain, there is oil and tar in the Gulf of Mexico and that some of it is washing ashore. Gonna be like that for many months/years.

Please show the positives of the area!!!!! Not only are you hurting tourism but this hurts the already impacted spirits of many hundreds of thousands.

The excuse of, "people need to know and see the real story" no longer flys. People know and see the real story, enough. SHOW THE GOOD SIDE AS WELL!!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:44 am

i have no pics, pkid, but this past saturday the water was GORGEOUS - that pretty light green/blue, and so clear! :D no tar balls to be seen.

sunday was murkier, with light seaweed/june grass. saw a few very small (not even dime-sized) tar balls, but that is because we were looking. no residue on our feet when leaving the beach.

ALL conditions constantly change. that is life.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 am

Thank you Gailjean! Now that was a good positive post!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

QUOTE:
"sharkbait408
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once more, with feeling...
"
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Well, by definition of where to post, the above youtube's title --when you click on the link -- indicates it took place on Pensacola Beach ... so it shouldn't even be posted on this thread at all, imho. That could be interpreted as being purposely misleading, doncha think? :roll:

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 am

i couldn't see the connection between the pics above (of Eglin AFB ?) and the video of pensacola, either. :?

not sure the poster meant to be deliberatley misleading, tho.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am

I am sure if there are falsehoods taking place, our "big toe" will take care of it properly!
wregle
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 am

We were in Navarre June 10- 20 and again June 30 - July 4. The 1st week the water was as beautiful as I have ever seen it. As clear and calm as the Carribbean. The following time it was rough with some sea weed but still beautiful. We had very few, very small tar balls in the water the first time and even less the second. So small that if they did get on you they were easily removed with sand. The workers are there trying to stay ahead of it. I appreciate their efforts although I am not sure they are getting much done. They have either been given permission to talk to you or have just decided to. They are much more friendly and answer questions if you have any. There has been absolutely NO smell whatsoever. Oil or not, there is no where I would rather be!

You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 am

Super report and pictures, Wregle! Thank you!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”