Outraged....

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks wregle for your positive report and beautiful photos of Navarre Beach. These are the knid of reports and photos that we all want to see.

Of course if large tar balls are sited its o.k. to post photos of them as long as they are verified. Posting reports and photos as I have mentioned many times over the past week should be "Fair and Balanced". It is the right thing to do.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 am

pensacolakid wrote:I am sure if there are falsehoods taking place, our "big toe" will take care of it properly!
The "big toe" (Administrator) is in the process of making a big kick regarding this thread. I will be posting an announcement shortly.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm

sharkbait408 wrote:We were at Navarre Beach Saturdaymorning.. We went to the far East end and continued on to Egland AFB beach front. From the very far East edge of the beach, we could not walk near the water without stepping in tar. It ranged from a bunch of small dime sized ones to really large ones that were about 14 to 16 inches across. They are everywhere on the East end. I can only assume that BP only cleaned near the pier and the condos as that is what most people see. We did see a couple vans pull into the parking lot and just thought they might work their way down to the East end and clean. I never saw them again, until we decided to leave due to the june grass.. not good for fishing.. Anyway at around 119pm, I tried to find someone to ask about the lack of clean up on the East end. I looked over the entire beach from Eglin AFB to the pier.. not one clean up person... I did later find all them sitting in air conditioned vans in the parking lot.. It doesnt seem to work very well to spend so much time in the vans with the tar balls washing ashore.. Then when I asked why no one was cleaning the beach front of Eglin Air Force Base. I was told that the crews could not do onto the base property.. Well, the oil isn't going to clean itself... I am talking to the Coast Guard to see what can be done about the base.. This should be interesting...I do realize that there might be some areas that are oil free, but there are alot more that still have oil everywhere. I just want people to know about these areas. To see what can be done to get some attention to these areas. Another point I might add to the fishermen.. My husband had to stop fishing due to the amount of June grass that kept collecting on his line. I have attached some pics. I can only hope this is temporary. It is usually day to day around here, but just wnated to put this out there.....
ImagePhoto #1

ImagePhoto #2

ImagePhoto #3

ImagePhoto #4

ImagePhoto #5

ImagePhoto #6

ImagePhoto #7

ImagePhoto #8

ImagePhoto #9

ImagePhoto #10

ImagePhoto #11
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE ADMINISTRATOR

User Name “sharkbait408” and its IP Address has been BANNED from the Navarre Beach Life Forum. The photos posted by sharkbait408 on this thread are fraudulent. The photos were shot from Fort Pickens within the Gulf Islands National Seashore, and not shot from Navarre Beach or Eglin AFB to the east of Navarre Beach as stated by sharkbait408.

I have repeatedly requested that Forum members not post photos of tar balls that are not from Navarre Beach. As I have indicated before you may post photos/videos of tar balls of Pensacola Beach or the Gulf Islands National Seashore on designated Forums below the Navarre Beach Forum.

I would like to make a few points regarding some of sharkbait408’s fraudulent photos as follows:

Photo #5 – This photo shows some small dark objects hundreds of feet from the surf. The tar balls will be located close to the surf line to the high tide line (wrack line). Navarre Beach has a 14 foot high dune the whole length of the beach that makes it impossible to shoot this photo from ground level. If it were shot from a walkover or condo balcony more of the Gulf would be visible. This photo was shot from the Gulf Islands National Seashore and most likely Fort Pickens.

Photo #6 – This photo was most likely shot from a Fort Pickens public access parking lot. Notice the automobile in the lower right foreground or roadway. It could not have been shot from Navarre Beach and if the photo were shot from the road of Eglin AFB you could be arrested.

ImagePhoto #7 (click photo to enlarge)

Photo #7 above was shot from the Gulf Islands National Seashore roadway. How do I know this? The small berm in front of the BP tent was created after Hurricane Dennis of July 10, 2005. Dennis destroyed much of the roadway whereby it scattered chunks of various sizes of asphalt, pea gravel and brown sand that were part of the original sub surface of the roadway. Then a sifter was brought in to sift out the large pieces of asphalt and pea gravel.

What you see on this small berm that is at the edge of the road are small pieces of asphalt, pea gravel of various colors mixed with sand. You would not see tar balls from the Gulf Islands National Seashore Roadway berm that is about 5 feet from the roadway. You would not see pea gravel mixed with tar balls at the beach surf line. I would estimate that this photo was shot about 1,000 feet from the surf line. The Gulf water horizon line is wavy, because a telephoto lens was used.

To prove my point I have posted (2) photos below, that I shot on May 24, 2009 from this same berm along the roadway, which is about 50 feet away of nesting least terns. Notice that my (2) photos below of the berm has the same pattern of mixed asphalt and various colored pea gravel as the photo shot by sharkbait408. The nesting least terns were about 1,000 feet north of the beach surf line.

ImagePhoto Shot Date: May 24, 2009 - Photo by Kenny Wilder

ImagePhoto Shot Date: May 24, 2009 - Photo by Kenny Wilder

Least Tern Photo Gallery
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/least_terns

National Seashore Photo Gallery – DEC 23, 2005
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/photos ... alseashore
Note: My photos show mountains of asphalt caused after Hurricane Ivan and never removed prior to the road opening on July 1, 2005. When Hurricane Dennis hit a few days later on July 10, 2005 the mountains of asphalt contained large chunks from Ivan. Dennis broke up a lot of the big chunks into small pieces and scattered them all over the National Seashore. When the small pieces were sifted prior to the road opening a shoulder along the road was created that contained the mixed small pieces of asphalt and colored pea gravel. I have been upset about this incident for a long time. Those mountains of asphalt should have been removed after Ivan.

Am I going to go through this much trouble to make my case every time an imposter comes on this Forum to post false reports and fraudulent photos from somewhere other than Navarre Beach, and with the intent of destroying the image of Navarre Beach? Hell no I’m not. Going forward I’m going to BAN these imposters without any WARNING. I may even consider seeking criminal prosecution of those that post fraudulent photos that claim to be of Navarre Beach.

If you come on this Forum attempting to place a black cloud on Navarre Beach without proper verification expect to suffer the consequences of your willful and wrongful act.

Kenny Wilder
Forum Administrator
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Thank you Kenny for your prompt and needed response to this issue. We appreciate the forum, the information, the pictures, the time and expense you put into making this the very best beach forum on the planet.

As you state, there is nothing wrong with providing solid, truthful information to include pictures and videos. However, there are some tremendous positives with Navarre Beach and this must be included in the reports as well.

Again, we appreciate your attention and action.

COME TO NAVARRE AND MAKE SOME MEMORIES!
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Video

Feet in tar????? Walking awful close (on top of)!

Some of what I see in this video looks to be the peat that we have seen quite regularly after rough water as we have had in the last weeek or two.

Not that I am disputing the video, but the media, many visitors, even our residents, have also mistaken the peat as oil related since the spill. One of our local TV chanels mistook the peat as oil weeks ago.

We saw lots of the asphalt looking peat after recent hurricanes. Many, then, thought it came from the roadway running through the federal property because it does look like asphalt (tar). In reality, the rough waters stir the peat from the sea's floor and it ends up on the beach. Interesting thing is that the peat can be thousands of years old.
David
lovenavarre

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:40 pm

High Five Kenny!!! Great job on exposing this guys. That is just downright hatefullness on his part.

I hope to run into you when we are on the pier or at Juanas! Can't wait to get there....we are all going stir crazy waiting for the next 11 days to pass.....
electriceddie

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 am

Great job Kenny! This idiot should be put out on a line and used as "sharkbait". Keep up the good work and the spirit also!
dlhamann

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks Kenny!!!! Great job!

We're headed to Navarre Beach, as we have every year since I was 12 (I'm now 40) in just over two weeks! Very excited and can't wait!!

Navarre Towers, here we come!

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”