Does this make anyone else nervous

Discussion of Gulf Oil Spill regarding Navarre Beach, Florida; the good, bad and ugly reports; however most of the reports of oil on Navarre Beach are good!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Ok, most of us know that America is fickle, absolutely to a fault. Just watched the Houston 10 p.m. news and they had a story on from Pensacola, stating that there is NO evidence of any oil or dispersants in the water at all. The news reports are full of....."we can't find any oil!"

Millions of millions upon millions of gallons of crude oil emptied into the Gulf. It did not dissipate! It did not dissolve! It did not evaporate! It has not been sucked into the Gulf Stream and now on it's way around Florida. It is suspended somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico and mark my words...if these reports keep coming and if no evidence is seen and none reported, and the attention and dollars are backed off, not only will the story go away but we will be set up for a massive onslaught of oil in the future. This made the Valdez look like a can of motor oil spilled on the driveway and we are still hearing about Valdez! Very scary!
beachkin

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 am

Since the story originated in Houston, and coincidentally that is where BP is trying to move their lawsuits to be heard in Texas, maybe they are trying to influence future jurors...as if no oil is there. Today on one of our islands off the coast of LA it appeared to have no oil in site, but when they dug into the mud oil started oozing out from under very thick oil. I sure
hope BP don't get away with this..it was handled poorly from the beginning.
electriceddie

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:04 am

Absolutely. As the news mongrels run out of BS, the story will die and be forgotten by the masses not affected directly by this disaster. I can just picture it now---with my luck, the oil will re-appear in early Sept. just as we are coming to Navarre! Maybe the "dispersants" were merely harmless liquids that are part of the BP cleanup farce. In this day and age of coverups and CYA"s, anything is possible. Can't wait to hit the beach in Sept.!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 am

Electriceddie,

I am most confident you will be fine for your trip in September. My concern is that the suspended oil somewhere out there in the Gulf, will ultimately kill off much of the sealife (from plankton to whales) and that we will start to see that evidence in the very near future. As far as beach/water goes for your trip....my money says it will be outstanding!
electriceddie

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks PKid. I am more concerned, as you are, about where this "missing oil" may show up in the future and the ramifications it may bring to any area. It's like a sleeping giant waiting to pounce. I will be in Navarre come hurricane, oil or anything else that tries to impede my trip. Really looking forward to our time in Navarre Beach.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:33 am

the "missing" oil is most likely on the bottom of the water column - it is the heavier parts of the crude. the lighter components either evaporated, were burned off/collected, or have dispersed/weathered.

consensus is that it will probably not get caught up in the loop current.

now, whether it will stay wherever it is, and away from land and oyster beds, etc. - no one is sure. there are not many currents in the gulf as there are in the atlantic or pacific (which is why the gulf gets so warm).
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am

Gailjean,

You may be right but the bottom line is, it has to adversely effect the life, regardless of the depth at which it has settled. What scares me and BP and the Government are already doing this, is......"out of sight, out of mind!" This will go away only to come back some fine day and be worse than it was when it happened! That much oil in a body of water that does not move that much (relatively speaking) and no one can find it.......that is not a good thing!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 pm

i agree, pkid, tho i think over time some will be consumed by the organisms/bacteria that exist for this purpose.

in a recent discussion, someone with more knowledge/expertise than me theorized the amount of crude released would fill the superdome. that's a tremendous amount, but the gulf is huge in comparison. i think depth plays a large part, too - the tools or tech needed to search at such depths is not common.

in my opinion, there should be something in place for the future to take care of possible impacts. doubt that is going to happen, and if something was put aside, who's to say it would be there when it is needed (not that i think greedy/corrupt politicians would be involved)?

Return to “2010 GULF Oil Spill ”