DOG PATROL

This is where you talk about pets, brag about your pet’s, and post photos of your pets. Did I say brag about your pets?
GONEFISHING

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:20 am

I was at the west end of Gulf Blvd when a unhappy man came from the National Seashore road with a yellow summons in his hand issued by the Park Ranger for having a dog on the National Seashore. The mans remark was don't they have anythig better to do!!!!! Way to go Ranger
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Maybe next time he won't waste a park rangers time by leaving his dog at home or walking him in an approved area.
jeeperman

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:20 pm

For your all info, dogs on the park roads are allowed on a leash.
GONEFISHING

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:41 pm

That may be the case BUT this BIG DOG was off road
jeeperman

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:00 am

Oh I would not doubt that as fact.

From the GINS website:
"Visitors may walk their pets on trails, multi-use paths, or on the park roads as long as the animals are on a 6-foot leash or less. For health reasons, owners must clean up after pets."

http://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/pets.htm
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 am

I agree who wants to step in dog doodoo or wet spots on the beach we are usually barefoot, ya know!

Red

We have a dog and it cost me 200 bucks to have it watched while were on vacation.
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
Navarrian
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:03 pm

The problem with Dogs at the Park or other places is never the dogs fault...it remains the Owners!!! I get aggravated with these lazy people who allow their animals to do natures call WITHOUT picking up the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a pet owner for over 30 years it never ceases to amaze me that a 15$ investment in a pooper scooper is somehow an inconvenience! Yes I am yelling but come on people...you want a pet pick up after them. This sounds a little bit like the litters on the beach.

Welcome to the world of enforcement. I only wish it was a federal ticket with a minimum $100 fine for each infraction.

We want enforcement..we Got it!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Navarrian 8)
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 am

In all my time fishing the beach I can only remember seeing a dogs droppings once, maybe twice, but I have picked up many "disposable" diapers from our beach. Makes you wonder if the parents return to their residence to void or do they make their deposits on the beach or in the water????? Wonder how many people take a leak on the beach each day but we are afraid of a dog doing the same?

As Navarrian said, it is not the dog's fault but that of it's adopted parents. What a shame that we can't take our dogs because they might liter yet we allow all the other liter without enforcement. Frankly, I had rather step in dog doppings than that of a humans especially if it is a broken bottle or jagged piece of plastic. Deep cuts don't wash away.

Seems to me that it should boil down to the same litter rules. Liter is liter, waste is waste. Lets get some strength in our liter regulations and enforce them all and let our dogs have some fun with the rest of us.
David
Home2007

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:49 am

:P
mymail10135

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 am

(*)
Last edited by mymail10135 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:52 am

I own (or rather I share a house, yard, car, etc) with three dogs.

I do TRY not to spark controversy, but it's not always possible, so if you disagree with me, that's OK, lets talk about it.

My view:

There are rules on the island as in most counties, cities, and parks to try and keep the world we all share as free of the mess that pets leave behind as possible. Dogs don't "hold onto it" until they get to a "safe area", they'll just do it when they feel like it; unlike (most) humans it is their nature.

Responsible pet owners know this and act accordingly by being prepared for cleaning up after little (or not so little) Fido.

A beach is a special place that we all want to enjoy and the preserve areas are even more so, places that do not need additional fertilization, so as for dogs on the beach areas, the humans involved should be aware of the rules in the area and act accordingly by not putting the animal in a situation where the authorities have to come along and intervene.

An animal is only doing what is a part of its nature to do and as a result, the responsibility is on the human to carry a plastic bag with you and do the 'right' thing by clearing up after it.

Is this so hard to do? :?:

Can I suggest that the "freedom" or "political" debate is quite beside the point here? I'd prefer to see the anger and energy output as a result of that kind of argument put into spay and neuter campaigns, which would deliver far more effective results for both the animal and human populations.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
mymail10135

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm

(*)
Last edited by mymail10135 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:48 pm

mymail10135 wrote:
bjrichus wrote:....

Can I suggest that the "freedom" or "political" debate is quite beside the point here? ...
No ..... you can't. Just as those who would seek to restrict firearms ...
Are we talking about dog poop here or something else?

Personal freedoms come with personal responsibilities ... or don't they?
mymail10135

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:57 pm

(*)
Last edited by mymail10135 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 pm

mymail10135 wrote:
bjrichus wrote:
mymail10135 wrote: No ..... you can't. Just as those who would seek to restrict firearms ...
Are we talking about dog poop here or something else?

Personal freedoms come with personal responsibilities ... or don't they?
We are talking about both dog poop & liberty.

The solution to people who are irresponsible with their pets is not to restrict the liberty of all pet owners under some kind of presumption of guilt. Same thing with guns and babies.

That said ... just one of the ten or so trash items I picked up on the beach during our walk this evening was a gatorade bottle 1/4 full of snuff/dip spit. Shall we ban tobacco dip (Skoal, etc) from the beach?
Actually, I am free to suggest anything I like - just as you are. I was simply being polite.

Now - lets be constructive, shall we?

Can you suggest a way to address the litter and pet poop matter?

Return to “Pets”