Shaggy the ferret

This is where you talk about pets, brag about your pet’s, and post photos of your pets. Did I say brag about your pets?
sanova beach

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm

I didn't see this topic area before. I'll post about "the kids" here, I guess.
:D

Here's the latest news on Shag!

The adrenal surgery left a gigantenormous incision. Ouch! But I'm glad the doc had enough space to look around at other organs while he was in there. Otherwise, we wouldn't know that something else was wrong.

Shaggy doesn't appear to be in pain. He's as tough as H. was after his surgeries. The meds that H. brought home don't appear to be painkillers, so I guess he'll just have to tough it out if he's sore the next few days.

Shaggy's mostly just tired (partly because ferrets sleep a lot anyway...average 16-20 hours a day).

I bought an all-cotton receiving blanket (baby blue with pictures of trains on it, lol!) for 5 bucks at wal-mart and washed it in a soy-based detergent and soy based softener yesterday.
When H. brought him home tonight, Shaggy walked around a little bit, I fed him and gave him some water and I showed him to Kodi (they sniffed noses) to reacclimate him to being home.
He was tired so I wrapped him up in the receiving blanket, then I took a little benadryl (works like a charm for my asthma....I'm allergic to animals...plus the cold weather isn't helping my asthma but thankfully the weather turns warm tomorrow) and I held Shaggy in the recliner while he dozed. Shaggy's not usually willing to be held while he sleeps!

LOL, H. insisted on holding him (lol, the "mama" instinct surfaces) so after he finished supper, I carefully handed the bundle to him and they're resting happily on the couch. :D

I'm in here on the computer, letting Kodi have the run of this room. He's very hyper now that he knows Shaggy is home.
He's knocking over the trash can, scattering any item that isn't nailed down and just getting into everything he can.
For little squirts, they're about as mischievous as their distant cousin, the raccoon, and probably twice as strong!

Well, it will be 10-14 days before we take him to clean/check the surgery site (possibly stitch removal but I'm not sure about that) and it will take that same amount of time to get the biopsy results.
H. said "I sure hope he doesn't have cancer" and I said "if he does, we'll do whatever treatments are available". H. said "he'll pull through this".

Kodi's been sort of protective of Shaggy in the last few months. He's been cuddling with him more than usual and wouldn't let Shaggy out of sight for long. I think the animals can sense when something's not right.

H. mentioned putting Shaggy in the room with us tonight (they're rarely allowed in there because of my asthma).
I'll run the air-filtering cleaner and since we have a king-size bed, I'll set up a blanket in the middle of it for Shaggy and a litter pan close by him. Shaggy's litter-trained (Kodi didn't take well to the training, unfortunately).
If my asthma kicks in, I'll go sleep on the couch, lol.

Spoiled ferret? Nah.... ;)
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:46 am

That's my grand-ferret and YES, he's spoiled plumb rotten!! Well, I hope you both fared well through the first night after ferret surgery.

;-)

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Sadly, Shaggy - or "the Shag-meister", we called him, lost his battle w/cancer recently. Sanova said it was not unexpected but they kept him as comfortable as possible until the end when their vet administered a "sleep" medication. There'll never be another quite like Shaggy the Ferret! He had a most winsome ferret-ality but he thought he was a "person"!

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm very sad to hear about Shaggy losing his battle. We can get very close to our pets.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Very sad to re-read the events of this time ... sadly, both Shaggy and his "daddy" H. both succumbed to their various cancers. Sanova has been a grieving widow for going on 6 years now ... please pray for her to find happiness again.
AngelGirl

Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Prayer for Grieving Spouses

Lord God,

Losing a spouse is devastating – plain and simple.

The lack of control and utter helplessness,

The finality of death,

The feelings of hopelessness,

The minutes that feel like days.

Lord, I come to you asking for relief – asking for relief from the sadness.

I'm asking for your renewal of my mind and heart. I'm asking for a fresh newness in my life.

I'm asking that I could again feel true happiness that comes without aching from what has been taken from me.

Lord, everything is stale. I am asking for a desire to want what is still in my life.

I'm asking for you to diminish those aching feelings that are never satisfied. Asking you to diminish those thoughts that have no future. Asking for powerful medicine for my mind, my emotions, my heart. Asking that my will could find union with yours in accepting my loss.

Lord, the Bible says you are my portion. Make my portion satisfy me.

Amen

Scripture references from the prayer:

"I cried out to you, O Lord:
I said, 'You are my refuge, my portion
in the land of the living."
Psalm 142:5

"Thou art my portion, O Lord."
Psalm 119:57

"The Lord is my portion," says my soul,
"Therefore I hope in Him!"
Lamentations 3:24
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Pets”