100th anniversary of start of the "Great War" (later WWI)

Post here your Memorial Announcements, Photos, videos and discussions.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:38 am

Didn't see a better topic under which to post this.
An "ad" commemorating an event in 1914 - during the then named "Great War", or "War to End All Wars" (we wish) - better known as WWI. (3-min.)
[video][/video]

Published on Nov 12, 2014
Presenting the new Sainsbury’s Christmas advert. Made in partnership with The Royal British Legion. Inspired by real events from 100 years ago.

This year’s Christmas ad from Sainsbury’s – Christmas is for sharing. Made in partnership with The Royal British Legion, it commemorates the extraordinary events of Christmas Day, 1914, when the guns fell silent and two armies met in no-man’s land, sharing gifts – and even playing football together.

The chocolate bar featured in the ad is on sale now at Sainsbury’s. All profits (50p per bar) will go to The Royal British Legion and will benefit our armed forces and their families, past and present.

To watch a short film of the story behind our Christmas ad: http://youtu.be/2s1YvnfcFVs

To watch the making of our Christmas ad: http://youtu.be/Jx3pQWbysmM

The chocolate bar is available while stocks last. Subject to availability. Excludes online.

The Royal British Legion. Registered Charity No. 219279
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Pete, I have the original copy of my grandfather's honorable discharge document from "the Great War" which was to be the "war that ends all wars"! (Then, of course, the next generation had to fight the 2nd "Great War": WWII in which my dad and most of my uncles, older cousins of that generation, served.)

According to the document of Pop's discharge, he was in the St. Mihiel Offensive as well as the Muese Argonne Offensive. Upon discharge, he received a whopping $60 bonus "auth. by Act of Congress Feb. 24, 1919" plus was entitled to "travel pay"!

It also says he had no injuries which I know is not quite true. He had post traumatic stress that resulted in nightmares for many years in addition to the internal injuries he received from being exposed to mustard gas. Yet he came home, "soldiered" through in spite of his experiences, fathered two more boys, built a successful and prosperous plumbing business.

As an elementary aged child, almost every evening after completing my homework, I would go next door to visit with my grandparents.

Around that time, Pop was usually reading from his big ol' family Bible and would put it aside to visit about the day and would occasionally give me the change from his pockets. But the best thing he gave me, my siblings and cousins, is summed up in the "Remarks" section of his Honorable Discharge: "Character - EXCELLENT. Services: Honest and Faithful".

#
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Military Memorials”