PHOTOS: Old Navarre Beach Motel and Beach Apartments

Find and Book your perfect Navarre Beach Vacation Rental for Beach Condos and Beach Homes. Buy and Sell Beach Condos and Beach Homes on Navarre Beach and the Navarre Mainland.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Another old photo of paradise. In a much much more simpler form.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Another shot of times long gone.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Another in a set of old NB pics.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Old Holidome inside picture.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:12 pm

The old Holiday Inn with the old Holiday Inn sign. I remember that so well. I can remember how it smelled back in the early 70's.

SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 pm

The Navarre Beach Motel...."luxury living at gulf side", those were the days. And great pics of the Holidome. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 pm

During this time and I have mentioned this a few times on the forum but we rented from Navarre Agency back in 1977. 7, 18 year old males. Our house (cottage as it is written on the contract) was $205.00 per week. We had to send in $102.50 in March 1977 for our June rental. There was a $50 damage deposit due at the time of full payment. The office to this agency was located in the old Jiffy Mart Grocery Store (building), which I believe is now TC's.

Our agent was a lady named, Ira Mae Hewatt. I believe she is still living?

Oh, it was suggested in the confirmation letter that we bring "rabbit ears" for the TV and our favorite skillet and coffee maker, as these were not guaranteed to be in the cottage.

Lastly, there is a paragraph that states, "it is illegal to have pets on the beach and the dog catcher has begun giving tickets to dog owners who have dogs on the beach."
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:59 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Our agent was a lady named, Ira Mae Hewatt. I believe she is still living?
Isn't she currently the HOA chair of Sugar Beach Condos?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

bjrichus wrote:
PensacolaKid wrote:Our agent was a lady named, Ira Mae Hewatt. I believe she is still living?
Yes.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:
bjrichus wrote:
Yes.
I knew the chair was called "Ira Mae", I have only ever called her that too, but didn't know her last name! Man!! There can only be ONE person in Navarre called "Ira Mae"!!

She has the right attitude for a successful business person... Tough but straight and empathetic but as a Realtor, she can cut a deal and make you feel the "cuts" don't hurt! HAHAHAHA...

Oh the fuss we had with her over replacement windows, but I won't go into that... 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am

How young would Ira Mae be today?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 am

Hey, 'Kid, don't you know you never ask a lady her age? Actually, age is irrelevant there as long as you have the "Navarre Beach state of mind"!!! ;)

;)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am

PensacolaKid wrote:How young would Ira Mae be today?
8 million?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No. Seriously... must be 80 something or other but doesn't look like it.

Oh hell... I deny all responsibility for writing that.

The "Window" debate I mentioned previously was nothing to do with me, I am not responsible for anything, especially a woman's age... She is as young as she wants to be... Looks beautiful, etc, etc, etc...

(There... Did I duck a 300% increase in HOA fees?)
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am

Wow. Thanks for sharing those, P'Kid. I actually teared up at the sight of the Holidome pics. I guess it's weird to feel "love" for a building, but I sure do anyways!
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

AG....I asked y'all! I would never ask Ira Mae!! :lol:

Brian....I am staying out of that. You're gonna get yourself in heap a trouble!!! :o

Dolfnfan...I am with ya. You know, I never one time actually stayed (that I can remember) at the hotel but I spent an enormous amount of time down there for a variety of reasons and most of the late 70's and early to late 80's, it was while I was renting a house with my buddies. Believe it or not, the foundation of the house we rented (from Ira Mae), Casa del Viento, is still there and the next time you are down there and going west from what was Sandy Bottom's, the very first "igloo" house on your right.....go down about 100 yards or so and there is a foundation still there. That was our house. I believe it is next to that 3 story, turquoise/teal (very shallow in depth) house that rusted so badly. It has white trim. Or it least that was the color scheme the last time I remember. Anyway, the Holidome offered us the following...remembering there were always 7 guys in this house.

1. Chicks (we met girls from AR, AL, MS, TN)
2. It had a great little oyster/shrimp bar that we have yet to figure out the name of.
3. It had a couple of bars that we would get "boat drinks" from and hang out on that upper deck facing the water.
4. It made a killer cheeseburger in that grill by the pool.
5. The main restaurant had great food and especially the seafood nights.
6. When it was raining and remember, back then, the TV sucked...we would go down and hang out there.
7. In the early 80's there was a comedy club in there and we visited that a couple of times. Actually my best friend's girlfriend (at the time) met her future husband (a navy pilot at PNAS) there at the comedy club while we were down there. Long story for another time.
8. The Pool. The pool held chicks and a bar. Need I say more!

Ahhhhh the good ol days. Still can smell the smell walking in the front door and see that aquarium.

Return to “Navarre Beach Vacation Rentals ~ Beach Condos & Beach Homes ~ Buy & Sell”