Advice about cheap rentals....

Find and Book your perfect Navarre Beach Vacation Rental for Beach Condos and Beach Homes. Buy and Sell Beach Condos and Beach Homes on Navarre Beach and the Navarre Mainland.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Our two free weeks in Navarre as owners of a rental unit are all used up this year due to work needs. Kenny, unfortunately for us, Michelle and Justin are going to be there for the second week possible to clear up Justin's apartment for the next long term renter, so we won't get a chance to use the place.

Yes, in case you didn't know, owners of rental condos at Navarre Beach are limited by state law to the mount of time we can actually stay there ourselves rent free. Our management company also have offices almost opposite the place too, so we can't "sneak" in.

We want time there over and above what Florida law allows and while we could pay to rent our place it seems silly... we might be forced to do that... Hmmm... Do we give ourselves a 100% discount?

So... Who can recommend a good place to rent for a week or perhaps a day or two less than a full week in December?

A hotel is also OK, but we know that can get expensive, real fast, so perhaps not...
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:25 am

Most management companies and individuals alike do not lease by the day because their in/out expenses are the same as for a full week. A two-day rental is just about a break-even deal ... so a local motel may be your best bet!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 am

Try the Best Western Hotel on the mainland by the Navarre Beach Bridge. Last year it was completely remodeled with all new furniture and tv. And the lobby and front desk is decorated with my framed prints. The owner and his staff are very friendly. Contact me and I will see if I can arrange a special rate.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 am

bjrichus wrote:Our two free weeks in Navarre as owners of a rental unit are all used up this year due to work needs. Yes, in case you didn't know, owners of rental condos at Navarre Beach are limited by state law to the mount of time we can actually stay there ourselves rent free.
I thought that had to do with federal taxes - (can't count it as an "income property" business, and still deduct all expenses against income - if use it more than 14-days for self?) - not state laws?
Any tax lawyers?
If a condo in a "slow" period, I am aware of some that will do 2-3 day rentals - won't get the same "per night" price of a full week, or month, but is doable. Probably not a better price than Best Western, or Days Inn, or Hampton Suites.
Couple of years, we will have a hotel on the beach again - Hooray!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
CrazyB

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 am

WOW, nope I wasn't aware of that silly law LOL,,,,,but it seems to me that you could give yourself the lowest rate you could,,,,since the money would be coming back to you anyway, minus of course whatever the fee of the management is? Wouldn't that be cheaper than getting a hotel room? I honestly don't have a clue as I am not educated in how it all works?
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:20 am

Pete wrote:I thought that had to do with federal taxes

Couple of years, we will have a hotel on the beach again - Hooray!
You may be right... All I can tell you is that three years ago, nobody bothered with it.

We were able to be on the beach for weeks on end and then along came the renters, after which we just went back. Now the management company are enforcing it.

We might have to use a hotel for our next stay and I might just be asking Kenny about his offer of seeing about a "special" rate. If we can get a week for less than the regular deals online right now for the dates we are looking at, we'll just go for it.

We have seen a condo in one of the tower blocks that is renting for $850 a month in the winter. It is very tempting, let me tell you... Shame about work being "in the way". :wink:
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

CrazyB wrote:WOW, nope I wasn't aware of that silly law LOL,,,,,but it seems to me that you could give yourself the lowest rate you could,,,,since the money would be coming back to you anyway, minus of course whatever the fee of the management is? Wouldn't that be cheaper than getting a hotel room? I honestly don't have a clue as I am not educated in how it all works?
It could all end up being a bit of a "wash" as the saying goes, minus bed tax, fees and the inevitable cleaning charge... Take my word for it, you do not want to see the place after some renters leave - kids? Who'd have them? Smudges on the walls, bits of cookie on the floor, sand all over the place, and that's just the Dad of the family, :P :P :P
Susan

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Brian,

It is my understanding the 14 day maximum stay is for "vacation days" only, cleaning and maintenance (etc.) days do not count. In other words, a day spent painting a bedroom is a work day and does not count as one of the "14 days". Detailed records must be kept as proof; receipts, photos etc.

Susan
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Brian I just sent you a Private Message on a heavily discounted rate at the Navarre Best Western on the Sound. The owner is a good friend of mine.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

The Best Western is great. We stay there frequently and will be there this weekend. Already the rate is down to $89/night (with AAA discount) and it will probably be even lower in December.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
Going Nuts

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 am

Susan wrote:Brian,

It is my understanding the 14 day maximum stay is for "vacation days" only, cleaning and maintenance (etc.) days do not count. In other words, a day spent painting a bedroom is a work day and does not count as one of the "14 days". Detailed records must be kept as proof; receipts, photos etc.

Susan

I agree with this. Work days are not considered as part of the two-week vacation limit.
jpigott73

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 am

It is our understanding that it's 2 weeks or 10% of the days your unit is rented?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Our two weeks are already taken up this year.

Two groups of people = more than 14 days needed, even if we were to "stretch-the-truth" a little over work days...

Either next year or the year after, our partner will be retiring there full time and these stupid limitations will go away, as she will live there.
marko

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 am

airbnb.com has a few choices. I have always had the good fortune of knowing someone with a place there.
Nidrah

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

I saw this on CBS this morning, yesterday. We have been thinking of buying a small condo (not to rent). This kind of bothered me when I saw this. Has anyone in Navarre experienced this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/condo-termi ... wners-out/

Return to “Navarre Beach Vacation Rentals ~ Beach Condos & Beach Homes ~ Buy & Sell”