Any suggestions on Monthly rentals?

Find and Book your perfect Navarre Beach Vacation Rental for Beach Condos and Beach Homes. Buy and Sell Beach Condos and Beach Homes on Navarre Beach and the Navarre Mainland.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 am

I have a question for anyone and particularly those that live in Navarre. However a little background might be needed.

I live in Houston and have for many decades (I am forced into it). As each day passes, I despise it more and more. My wife does not want to leave permanently at least not just yet as our daughter is in college here in Texas and her family (mom is still living but not in the best of health) is here and thirdly, my wife teaches here in Texas and still have about 6 years to get her 20 year pension. I can't wait that long.

So, we are discussing a possible compromise. The compromise is that after the school year is over, latter May, I or we would temporarily transfer to the Navarre area until the school year begins again, in latter August.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions on monthly rentals. We are NOT looking to live on the beach. The Sound possibly? Even the northside of the Sound or perhaps not even on the water. a 1B/1.5 bath or small 2B/2B would be all we would need. I still have to work and would need access to the Pensacola airport.

Heck, I would even entertain maintaining a property in favor of a reduced rental or similar situation.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CrazyB

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey Pk,,,, I totally understand the desire to live in Paradise aka Navarre! The only thing keeping us here in Tennessee is aging mom, as we still haven't figured out how to cut the umbilical cord LOL. However this year we are getting to stay in Navarre for 3 months, possibly more woohooo! Yes, mom is going to come with us LOL. My question for you is why you're NOT wanting on the beach? LOL we all have our preferences I know,,,,,I would live ANYWHERE I think, in Navarre,,,but ohhhh how I would LOVE to live on the beach! We'll be in The Pearl beginning Sept 7 thru Nov. 30th and who knows, maybe longer if we're lucky and blessed enough to. Oh, another question,,,what price range are you looking to stay in? This might be helpful to those that might have an answer for you! Good Luck!
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:19 am

Kimberly, trust me, I know ALL ABOUT the umbilical cord thing. My wife has one attached to her family and her mom despises the beach and ocean. It is not happening for me for a while, until such time as her mother is gone at least. Then we have our daughter who starts her second year at college and is planning on being a teacher like momma. Between school and possibly teaching here in this hellhole (please God no) and her boyfriend.....it is not looking promising for me for a permanent move until she either decides she wants to teach in Florida and her boyfriend/husband can also make that move. Then when she has children, my wife has already said she is not going to be one of those grandma's that lives in another state and visits occasionally. So, my options are a bit limited. Which is why I have come up with the compromise of living there during the Summer and very early Fall.

As for the price I am looking for, we were actually thinking about putting some money down on a very small 1B/1B at say The Palm (Sunset Harbour). We (I) don't need a house for everyone and their dog to come down and stay with me. I need something for me, possibly my wife and daughter. This would be a working/living place. I still have to work and I still have to be able to fly out and in for my work. Why not on the beach? Too much to begin with. I just want to be down there, I don't care where I am as long as it is not in the Navarre "hood." Wherever that may be?

That said, I have a friend in the commercial real estate world and he is telling me that is not a good idea to buy, live for a couple of months, then rent it out. If it even could be rented out. So, I am not sure what to do. I have decided to give it until next summer to decide and see what options may come up. At least I have planted the seed....deeply seeded, into my wife's very thick skull that Houston, Texico is NOT in my immediate future any longer. At least not during summer.

Probably more information than you wanted but I am cursed in that I can type faster than I can think.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:16 am

PensacolaKid wrote:

Probably more information than you wanted but I am cursed in that I can type faster than I can think.
That's what keeps us editor types in business!!! ;) :lol:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:19 am

Indeed and much appreciated!!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 am

Ah yes,

P'kid, your wife is most likely in either TRS (Teachers Retirement System of Texas) or ERS ([state] Employees Retirement System of Texas).

Or like me, I am paying to TRS but when retired, we go to ERS (or is it the other way round, I forget) for the actual payment - or one of the local plans that ultimately end up in the TRS/ERS monolith. It's a monopoly as everything ends up with them in the end if you work for a Texas university or ISD.

I have just 3.5 years to go before I can sensibly talk to them about early retirement on the "Rule of 80" concept they have for us (age plus number of years service = 80 to be able to retire early on a full pension).

Of course, my Social Security is reduced as I'll have to go an extra 3 years until I get to be 66 to qualify for a full payout from them not that its all THAT much, but...

Once we sell our Texas home (and we will probably have to unless I can get another well paying job then), it'll be Navarre Beach bound time for us. I am toying with the idea of contract working at a defense contractor down there, maybe... Who knows?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 am

You are correct Brian. I don't even know how many years my wife has left 5-8, I think. She does indeed work for a ISD. You add that to our daughter's life decisions down the road and the fact that my wife wants to remain in Texas, albeit in the Hill Country, the prospects short of a divorce, of moving there permanently, are probably slim at best. That is, unless my daughter uses her God given common sense and decides to teach in Florida. That is the angle I am shooting for. I just hope and pray that she does not seek Dallas or Houston. Bottom line, I HAVE to find a way to relocate there for at minimum, the summer. I can tolerate being away from Pensacola/Navarre a little better during the Fall and Winter.

The real bottom line is....I made a very serious mistake decades ago by not moving to Florida when I probably could have. The problem was, due to various issues within my family, being the oldest and the ONLY one with half a brain in his head, I had to take care of the family. If "if's and "but's" were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas, right! Well, good Lord willin', in a short period of time, it will be Pensacolakid's time in the sun and frankly, I no longer remotely care what my family thinks about it. I have done my time. That is a fact, Jack!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:If "if's and "but's" were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas,
I understand that all too well.

We'll see how things go in the next few years for me, if only that backup retirement plan aka: Powerball, would deliver on its promises, I'd be more than willing to share the love with NW Florida. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
dawhip

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:47 pm

PKid, I have been retired about a year now and moved from Houston (good riddance) to New Orleans. We've been renting a condo in Navarre Beach for the month of November. I'd prefer to rent November and another month but one month is all I've been able to pull off due to my own family issues.

Anyway, I'd advise that you check VRBO for rental properties, most will not have monthly rates but you can usually contact the owner to see if they will consider it. I've had excellent luck that way. I think most owners will prefer a reduced rental amount in turn for a guaranteed rental. That said though, summer will probably be a tougher sell given the demand. Good luck.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 am

Thank you Dawhip! It is hell being trapped in a place you can't stand to be in. I am working on my daughter now about NOT getting her teaching position in this hellhole. She has three more years of school left and I am hoping that things start to gel during that time that will allow me to escape this United Nations. Houston back in the day was a great place. Then the oil boom hit and like so many other big cities, decided to start embracing all this diversity crap. Well, guess what, nobody speaks English because of this diversity crap and now all you hear and see is traffic, lines, air quality warnings and the United Nations. Hate it and "hate" is a very strong word.

I am pretty sure Atlanta used to be the same way. Great place originally and then it turned to crap.
TimothyEvans

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 am

From the Administrator

TimothyEvans has been BANNED from this forum for posting Spam.
KattyBeach

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I have been perusing this forum for a couple of weeks now. Love all of the great information! Love the photos! We are seriously considering a beach home in Navarre. This is part of our retirement plan. We currently live in South Houston (Sugar Land / Missouri City area). Navarre would be our second home. I'd love to be able to rent it out. I saw the other comment about not renting it out. Why the concern(s)? I know my DH has stated not to rent it out during Spring Break, unless it's a family. The reason I'm leaning towards renting it out is to help offset some of the costs. Otherwise, it will sit there empty. I'm dreaming of the white, sugar sand as I type. It's too coincidental that there are two other Houstonians on here. I'm originally from Phoenix, but have been in Houston 25+ years.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Welcome to the forums, KB --- glad you found us! Yes, several of us on here either currently live in Houston or have lived in Houston! Nothing like Houston to make one really appreciate NB. ;)

Again, WELCOME HOME TO NB!!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:I have a question for anyone and particularly those that live in Navarre. However a little background might be needed.

I live in Houston and have for many decades (I am forced into it). As each day passes, I despise it more and more. My wife does not want to leave permanently at least not just yet as our daughter is in college here in Texas and her family (mom is still living but not in the best of health) is here and thirdly, my wife teaches here in Texas and still have about 6 years to get her 20 year pension. I can't wait that long.

So, we are discussing a possible compromise. The compromise is that after the school year is over, latter May, I or we would temporarily transfer to the Navarre area until the school year begins again, in latter August.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions on monthly rentals. We are NOT looking to live on the beach. The Sound possibly? Even the northside of the Sound or perhaps not even on the water. a 1B/1.5 bath or small 2B/2B would be all we would need. I still have to work and would need access to the Pensacola airport.

Heck, I would even entertain maintaining a property in favor of a reduced rental or similar situation.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi PKid!

Monthly rentals on the island in the summer may be dicey. We have had people who wanted to rent for the whole summer, but they want to pay off-season monthly prices, or not much more. Summer is when the money is made to at least keep things going (can't say we've ever turned a profit or broke even). In one week during the summer, we can make what a snow bird expects to pay for a month in the winter, and utilities are included in that monthly rate. Quite a deal for them. Maybe sound-side owners would be ok with it, though I doubt it.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:59 pm

KattyBeach wrote:I have been perusing this forum for a couple of weeks now. Love all of the great information! Love the photos! We are seriously considering a beach home in Navarre. This is part of our retirement plan. We currently live in South Houston (Sugar Land / Missouri City area). Navarre would be our second home. I'd love to be able to rent it out. I saw the other comment about not renting it out. Why the concern(s)? I know my DH has stated not to rent it out during Spring Break, unless it's a family. The reason I'm leaning towards renting it out is to help offset some of the costs. Otherwise, it will sit there empty. I'm dreaming of the white, sugar sand as I type. It's too coincidental that there are two other Houstonians on here. I'm originally from Phoenix, but have been in Houston 25+ years.
Hi KattyBeach!

Before you decide to do this, please look into the regulations/laws - local, state, and federal. I believe there is some sort of limitation on how long you can stay in your house and also deduct expenses on your taxes. If you do not use a management company, you may also have to pay to get some sort of license. I'm sure there is someone on this forum that will have better info than me - we have always had a management company.

Return to “Navarre Beach Vacation Rentals ~ Beach Condos & Beach Homes ~ Buy & Sell”