Question on Sundunes

Find and Book your perfect Navarre Beach Vacation Rental for Beach Condos and Beach Homes. Buy and Sell Beach Condos and Beach Homes on Navarre Beach and the Navarre Mainland.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 am

Forgive the inquiry as I know I have seen something in the past, but where I haven't a clue.

As many know, I have touted Mermaidmansions.com and Jackie Sims many many times, as THE best rental agency and landlord on the island. I firmly stand behind those words today. However, do to some much different circumstances this upcoming summer (14'), my family is possibly faced with going the condo route. I even contemplated the dreaded East side (yuk) but again, circumstances may be forcing me.

However, I do have a couple of options with the Sundunes and the Sandollar condos on the West side.

Has anyone ever stayed in either? What are your thoughts? I thought I perhaps heard Wregle state at one time that perhaps she either owned one or stayed there but I can not remember if it was pleasant.

I actually called an owner of one on the first floor, west side yesterday and inquired and he stated that the beach (due to Karen) was in dire straights in front of the Sundunes and he did not know what his rental status might be next summer based on this issue. He mentioned he was going down today to check it out and to give him a call on Friday of this week.

I am considering a 2/2 in the Sandollar but would love to hear some reports.

Again, I fully endorse Jackie Sims and Mermaidmansions as the very best on the island. Thanks in advance.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

We've stayed at both. Stayed at Sundunes many, many times. Always enjoyed it. We stayed at the Sand Dollar once, the year after Dennis, because Sundunes was still wrecked and closed that year. We got the Southwest corner condo on the first floor at Sand Dollar and it was very nice, clean and comfy with lots of windows facing both South to the water and West down the beach.

The one major drawback to Sundunes now is that they never rebuilt their walkover after Dennis. You have to use the public walkover next door (walkover #8, I think it is).

Sundunes has a pool. For some reason I cannot remember if Sand Dollar had a pool or not but I don't think that it does. I could be wrong tho.

The Sand Dollar unit was a bit bigger than the Sundunes unit

Of course, every unit within a condominium is different, but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by dolfnfan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

Stayed at Sundunes many many times with no problems. Prefer an end unit higher up. When we were at NB four weeks ago I did see that the water line has really cut into the berm in front of it, but there was plenty of beach on each side, so who knows by the summer. Haven't stayed there in quite some time, but we never had any issues and it was always enjoyable. If its prime time and crowded, parking can sometimes be an issue. Stayed at SandDollar a really long time ago and it was not a good experience. But again, it was a long time and I believe they have done some renovations. But heck, I could stay in my vehicle and enjoy it. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks a lot Dolfnfan and SB. Good advice. I was and am leaning toward the Sandollar. It is smaller and I like the interior better, at least from the pictures. I also do not like the idea of battling parking or having a public lot literally right next door. That was one drawback last summer when we rented the Sand Castle. Great house and we would probably do it again but we got a little irritated at the amount of people that literally walked right through our camp to make their own camp on the side of us. Very irritating.

I am hoping we can make the Luna Sea 1 with Jackie Sims work but just don't know at this stage. So many things happening next summer, including a daughter starting college (Woooo Pig Soooie) and just no people who want to go. Very strange. So, it appears a condo might be in the works?

I am with you SB.... I would gladly stay at the campground again or in my car, just to be there.

I may very well be there next week.
Razorback

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 am

We've stayed at the Sandollar a few times and we are done there. Getting pretty run down that even the recent outside paint job cannot cover. The units we've stayed in were just ok with very limited kitchen supplies. Matter of fact we had to buy a few things for our stay. The walkover is ok but does have many steps to go up and down which is tough on anyone with any type physical issue. Have friends who have stayed in the Sundunes and they appear better but they are pretty narrow units. And as stated no walkover.
Love Navarre Beach
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Razorback. Much appreciated. Dilemma for sure!!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 am

For a condo, it's really hard to beat the Towers! And it's toward the west end, too!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am

AG....The Towers? Where would they be. I thought Sundunes was the western most condo? Where is the Towers? You mean the most western of the condo jungle?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Navarre Towers past the Holiday Inn property. Very nice complex with plenty of open beach to the east.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Yep, what SouthernBreeze said -- just west of the old Holiday Inn property! In fact, I took this photo of the Holiday Inn from the Navarre Towers parking lot (this was in the spring before Ivan!):
Holiday Inn -  from Navarre Towers, 4-2004.jpg
Holiday Inn - from Navarre Towers, 4-2004.jpg (177.99 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm

For some reason I was thinking there was a unit called, The Towers. Of course I know where this is and thanks for reminding me.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Yep, what SouthernBreeze said -- just west of the old Holiday Inn property! In fact, I took this photo of the Holiday Inn from the Navarre Towers parking lot (this was in the spring before Ivan!):
Holiday Inn - from Navarre Towers, 4-2004.jpg
That would be the Spring of 2004. Hurricane Ivan hit Navarre Beach on September 16, 2004. The next year we got hit by Hurricane Dennis on July 10, 2005 a month before Hurricane Katrina. After this the Holiday Inn was done.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
jwilson54

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

We always stay at Beachview,just east of the old Holiday Inn. I highly recommend it :)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the review of Beachview. I will take a look at it when I am down. I am leaning toward the Emerald Surf (if we choose that route) simply because it is the most western of the eastern condo's. I am opposed to crowds in any situation and most certainly while on the beach.
florida dreamer

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:42 pm

I only stay at the Sundunes. The top floors like rooms 181 and 182 are great. I'm old fashioned and like to stay where I know I'm comfortable staying. Stayed there for the last 15yrs. or longer.

Return to “Navarre Beach Vacation Rentals ~ Beach Condos & Beach Homes ~ Buy & Sell”