Finally adding to the landscape of the house

Everything you wanted to know about Gardening but was afraid to ask.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 am

We moved back home to Florida in 2013. The builder was nice enough to exchange his landscape plan of shrubs and low growing ground cover in the front flower bed to my suggestion of knock out roses. He put the allotted money into the front flower bed and the rest of the yard has been up to us to plan/plant. Overall, after some trial and error, this year the place is really popping.

Knockout roses are perfect on their own. No fuss. I'm in the process of finding a Lady Banks rose for the back fence. I think the yellow will really look nice on the weather grey fence.

Here's the spring growth, 2017, with the roses. My phone camera blurred the roses a bit but no filter - that's the vibrant color.
Attachments
Roses spring 2017.jpg
Roses spring 2017.jpg (325.16 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:03 am

The backyard has been the big work over the last four years. Last year, with the new grandbaby staying with us while her Daddy was deployed, saw no work done other than the routine stuff. This year we've added a river birch to the backyard - a recommended tree for Florida yards. We had one in Madison, AL - former home for 15 years. Also added a Japanese maple. There are three crepe myrtles.

Due to the bayou to our south and the Eglin reservation to our north, land in the Niceville area yields smaller yards. We're good with that but it can present a few choices that won't fit growth-wise. We have a small "stir fry and salad topping garden in a corner bed that gets full sun. Did not have a good result with container gardening on the patio. Hopefully we will have tomatoes, red and yellow sweet peppers, and cukes this summer!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Love the knock-outs! We have a lot of those planted in the medians of the town where we relocated last year and they are quite a beautiful sight. How resistant are they to the usual rose pests?
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Linda
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Love the knock-outs! We have a lot of those planted in the medians of the town where we relocated last year and they are quite a beautiful sight. How resistant are they to the usual rose pests?
I've not had any pest issues, so far, with the knock-outs. Had them for about 14 years in Alabama, also, and those never had issues. Now my climbing rose that I dug up from my Aunt's house is always beleaguered with black spot and the little bees that eat the leaves to make a "pouch" for their babies and pollen storage. I forget their name.

Looking for a Lady Banks rose. Beautiful clusters of yellow roses.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

One of my all-time favorites, too, it being a pale version of "yellow" rose! ;) I believe there are also white Lady Banks', though, too. Don't get me wrong, I do love the deeper yellow of the "Texas" yellow rose but the delicate, buttery yellow of the Lady Banks is exquisite!

You might check with Lowes. I saw some at our store here.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-25-Gallon-Ye ... 69/4308425

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/growing ... anks-rose/
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Linda
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Trip over to FWB tomorrow to check at Lowe's. Thanks, AG.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Linda wrote:Trip over to FWB tomorrow to check at Lowe's. Thanks, AG.
We'll be looking forward to your first Lady Banks photos!

:D
AngelGirl

Linda
Power User
Power User

Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 am

Now that the wedding is behind me I will focus on the roses again! Hubby picked the first bell pepper yesterday. The cherry tomatoes are loaded and will be ready for a good salad in a couple of weeks. The very small lemon tree has so many blooms. Hoping it grows well. The nurseryman said fruit probably next year.

We must have had crazy wind while we were away in Birmingham. A hanging pot of bougainvillea was on the ground, hanger and all, when we returned. That thing was screwed into treated timber!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 am

Linda wrote:We must have had crazy wind while we were away in Birmingham. A hanging pot of bougainvillea was on the ground, hanger and all, when we returned. That thing was screwed into treated timber!
Yep, had quite some wind last week. Lived here 15-years - except for hurricane/tropical storms - have never had as much debris in the pool, nor tree branches/leaves down as last couple of weeks!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Linda
Power User
Power User

Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 am

I'm guessing the screws were loosened with all the windy conditions this very windy spring. Then while we were gone a good gust got it. :lol: Hanging it again today...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri May 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I have a bell pepper plant that is actually a year old ... I started it (and it's little siblings) from seed last summer just to see if they'd grow! LOL Well, one hardy little plant made it through the winter and bloomed this spring. I now have two healthy-looking peppers plus two or three little "buds" of peppers on the plant but suddenly something has begun eating holes in the leaves. :shock: Since I don't want to spray w/bug spray, I'd like to find something natural to protect the rest of the leaves and the peppers. Anyone have a "home remedy" that works? :?:

BTW, I've examined the plant closely several times and can't find any sign of what pest is eating the leaves!
AngelGirl

Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Several types of worms and caterpillars like green leaves in the garden. Soap sprays are successful against them and aphids. Just some Dawn or an organic soap will do mixed with water in a spray bottle. It worked for me a couple of years ago on squash plants.

Happy gardening!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat May 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Linda wrote:Several types of worms and caterpillars like green leaves in the garden. Soap sprays are successful against them and aphids. Just some Dawn or an organic soap will do mixed with water in a spray bottle. It worked for me a couple of years ago on squash plants.

Happy gardening!
Thanks! I'll give that a try! :)
AngelGirl

gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Linda wrote:Several types of worms and caterpillars like green leaves in the garden. Soap sprays are successful against them and aphids. Just some Dawn or an organic soap will do mixed with water in a spray bottle. It worked for me a couple of years ago on squash plants.

Happy gardening!
There is one worm/caterpillar I intensely dislike - the tomato hornworm! Makes me shudder every time I see one of those bad boys.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Linda wrote:Now that the wedding is behind me I will focus on the roses again! Hubby picked the first bell pepper yesterday. The cherry tomatoes are loaded and will be ready for a good salad in a couple of weeks. The very small lemon tree has so many blooms. Hoping it grows well. The nurseryman said fruit probably next year.

We must have had crazy wind while we were away in Birmingham. A hanging pot of bougainvillea was on the ground, hanger and all, when we returned. That thing was screwed into treated timber!
One of the many reasons I am looking forward to staying with my dad in NJ this summer - his garden!! Nothing better than home grown tomatoes! And altho he does not grow corn, we will be able to take advantage of the local Jersey corn - the absolute best!

Return to “Gardening”