Any comments at all on beach restoration and dredging ?

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
softbutchharley

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Does anyone live in Navarre besides Kenny ? I ask because I have been trying to get info and feedback on the beach restoration in March. The Navarre Press helps, but some details escape me.
I wonder about the location of the proposed reef building a mile offshore ? 1 mile x 2miles in size, but the exact location? Also IF the dredging and restoration starts in March.....where will it start ? AT the pier or on Pensacola side? The snorkeling "theme" park across from Juana's I believe I am clear on.
I see a lot of posts of pictures of sunsets/rises here, but am curious if I mistook this for a discussion/forum site or is it an advertising site ?
Thanks for any input folks, as I check the newspaper and talk to my neighbors....
ONE...........
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 pm

As someone who has until recently had an interest in a property on the beach (I suspect I am going to end up there in a few years time as a water company card carrying resident and if you don't know about the cards issued at the water company, you cannot call yourself a resident :P ) and have several good friends who currently live there, I agree that there is much less activism, participation, and less opinion sharing and forming among the citizens of Navarre Beach than you might think.

I had to tell my friends there about the recent meeting of the leaseholders association that discussed all this and ended up supporting the proposal to eat up the bulk of the 2016 tourist season with dredging and so on that'll upset many visitors this year. If I still had a place there, I'd be more up to date myself... Oh well.

If you don't already know about them, check the association out at: http://www.navarrebeach.org/

Whatever, they are less dramatic than the rubbish posted in the Concerned Citizens groups on Facebook (a good thing), but often seem to be only worried about the lease and taxation matters (a bad thing). Maybe there was a detailed report that covered all the details on their web site, but its gone now... Does anyone else know where the details are? Angel Girl, do you?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
softbutchharley

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 am

TY Richus for the feedback.
I live behind Publix across 98, about 5 min from beach.
I am not knowledgable enough on environmental impact to form an opinion on that side of the restoration project.....but will be next go around :) My interest is pretty much self serving as I love surf fishing/shelling/pier fishing and body boarding/swimming . For me..... the tourist income is double edged sword for our area, but I realize infrastructure needs funding.....
At any rate.....I'm ready to cowgirl up and enjoy other areas of our lil world while the work gets done on the beach, and hope it's over and smooth soon.
lol !!! My bother is a "card carrier", I am not as you see above :) I just live here....Navarre...... Our place was virtually untouched by the floods of the century a couple years ago.... TG.... :) TG we did not need a card to go home lol :)
TY again for the feedback ................... ONE.............

Desmond Tutu[/center]
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:05 am

I do live in Navarre (by the golf course) and try to keep up with local politics - Chamber of Commerce gatherings, county meetings, and other groups.

True - the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) was working towards a March or April start (and about 190 day project duration as per selected lowest bid contractor).
Also, the NBLRA (mostly residents/owners on the beach) supports that - while the Tourist Development Council (TDC - mostly businesses) wants start delayed until after Labor Day (also to avoid the turtle/bird nesting seasons).

However, last I read was that the start may be delayed for other reasons - would have to look up exactly why.
There was some thought that doing it right after the same company finished up Pensacola Beach there would be a cost savings as the dredging equipment is already in local area - but last I read, the company stated they would be using different equipment that they will bring from the east coast (may be part of the delay mentioned?).

Haven't heard if plan is to restore from west to east, or east to west --- or middle to ends, or ends to middle. I seem to recall that last time it was primarily west to east? Kenny?

As for the new "deep water" artificial reef - the diagram I saw had it located about a mile out and approximately centered on the pier (in 60+ feet of water?).
The expansion of the gulf side inshore "snorkeling" artificial reef is on either side of current location - a few hundred feet out from the eastern-most pavilions in the Marine Park - (less than 20-feet of water?).
Then there are the sound-side snorkeling reefs off of "Moms Beach" in the Marine Park - (10+/- feet of water?).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 am

softbutchharley wrote:TY Richus for the feedback.
I live behind Publix across 98, about 5 min from beach.
Publix has become my go to place for half decent bread in the area. Take it from someone who used to be able to just pop over to the bread capital of the world (France) that they do pretty decent stuff if you keep away from the likes of "Wonder bread".

My friends on the beach itself now own a townhouse and two condos, as well as living there. They are both serious about Navarre Beach, but never come on here to discuss matters, despite also knowing Kenny...
softbutchharley

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 am

TY again guys !!!! You rock.....
And......... with just a lil effort I found this part of the forum :
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... um.php?f=2

doh !!!!!!!!!! :lol: The Beach Restoration location.....tho old it looks like the spot for my comments and info.........

Desmond Tutu[/center]
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:46 am

softbutchharley wrote:TY again guys !!!! You rock.....
And......... with just a lil effort I found this part of the forum :
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... um.php?f=2

doh !!!!!!!!!! :lol: The Beach Restoration location.....tho old it looks like the spot for my comments and info.........
This isn't the first time they have done a restoration project, is it? Once every 8 to 10 years, after a hurricane or when the Feds offer money seems to be when Milton can be bothered to help its cash cow and even then... Cynical? Yup! You bet.

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”