Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 pm

wregle,

No apology is necessary. There are two dredge ships at Navarre Beach that are usually referred to as a dredge hopper. The dredge is the ship and the hopper is the large container aboard the dredge. As you have noticed there are two dredge hoppers operating at the Navarre Beach Renourishment Project…the BE Linholm and the RN Weeks owned and operated by Weeks Marine, the largest dredge company in the world. To have a better understanding of what happens on a dredge hopper click on the link below of my photo documentary aboard the RN Weeks during the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. In 2006 I was the first photographer that was ever granted permission to photograph aboard a dredge hopper of the Weeks Marine worldwide fleet.

ABOARD THE DREDGE HOPPER RN WEEKS IN 2006
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/rn_weeks

To simplify your questions concerning how the two dredges work in concert with each other I’ll give it my best shot. The dredge hopper BE Linholm and the RN Weeks are dredging sand from what is called boroughs (sand extraction areas) four miles offshore of Navarre Beach. The reason for dredging four miles offshore is because the quality of the sand matches very well with ancient sand at Navarre Beach. They are not allowed to dredge from the same borough that is recorded via GPS maps. Check out my article about the sand purity of Navarre Beach in the link below.

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/white-s ... rre-beach/

It takes about two hours for one of the dredge hoppers to dredge sand into the hopper, then make the trip about 2,000 feet off the beach where their load of sand is distributed via 36 inch diameter pipes onto the beach is about another two hours. Therefore, each dredge is using the approximate time factor of four hours from the dredging offshore to distributing the load of sand onto the beach. So one of the reasons that our Renourishment Project is moving so fast is because while one dredge hopper is distributing their load of sand onto the beach, the other dredge is dredging sand into its hopper. It’s a great engineering accomplishment. Weeks Marine knows dredging.
20160516_21-43-00.jpg
20160516_21-43-00.jpg (147.79 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Snapshot from the Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam less than 5 minutes ago tonight. The location is at the Belle Mer condo about 1 mile west of the Fishing Pier.

You can watch the Renourishment Project 24/7 on my Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam that covers the entire beach with 12 unique scenes. Go to: http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/live-hd-1080-zoom-cam/
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Thank you so much! That explains it very well plus the pictures from 2006 are amazing. What an experience! I had 2 little boys visiting with me today who had lots of questions. I told them I would ask Kenny Wilder tonight and have an answer for them tomorrow! Thanks for making me look so smart! It is a very interesting thing to watch. We will be back in July so it will be great to see the completed progress.
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue May 17, 2016 8:09 am

wregle wrote: ... I have a question about the 2 boats. Do both of them excavate the sand them swap positions as 1 empties? I have watched them swap places all day and was just wondering how it works.
Yes - when both boats are functioning - one dredges 4-miles out, while the other is at near-shore pipe terminal and pumping dredged sand to beach (pipe outlet). (Unless they are passing each other coming and going.) 24/7!

When they complete mile #2 (approximately the #7 public walkover? - at Gulf Blvd. and Georgia St.) will relocate the near-shore pipe terminal to the middle of miles #3 and #4 - and then do those sections.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
From A Buick 8

Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 pm

wregle wrote:I apologize if you have already answered this question or have explained the process. Now that I am here watching the renourishment myself I have a question about the 2 boats. Do both of them excavate the sand them swap positions as 1 empties? I have watched them swap places all day and was just wondering how it works. It is fascinating to watch. Thinking they may be in front of SunDunes before I leave.
Thanks for keeping everyone posted.
We are going to be at the Sundunes starting on the 26th, any thoughts on where they will be then?
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 6:45 am

From A Buick 8 wrote:
wregle wrote:I apologize if you have already answered this question or have explained the process. Now that I am here watching the renourishment myself I have a question about the 2 boats. Do both of them excavate the sand them swap positions as 1 empties? I have watched them swap places all day and was just wondering how it works. It is fascinating to watch. Thinking they may be in front of SunDunes before I leave.
We are going to be at the Sundunes starting on the 26th, any thoughts on where they will be then?
I will provide you with an approximate calculation later today based upon the past week's sand distribution. However, it will be strictly an estimate on when the Project will move past the Sundunes condo.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 6:46 am

Beach Renourishment Changes of the Zoom Cam Coming Soon

Because of the widening of the Beach Renourishment it will be necessary to change the 12 viewing stations of the Live HD 1080 Zoom cam. I am waiting a few days to think about the changes that need to be made. I should have much better new viewing stations by this weekend. I spent several hours yesterday making notes about the changes I want to make.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 7:27 am

From A Buick 8 wrote:We are going to be at the Sundunes starting on the 26th,...
From Erlanger, KY? Drove past there at least 4-times a year 2002-2015 when daughter and family lived in Dayton. Landmark - the "Florence Y'all" water tower on I-75!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am

I am sure whatever changes will be made will be splendid. Thanks for doing it Kenny!
From A Buick 8

Wed May 18, 2016 10:27 am

Pete wrote:
From A Buick 8 wrote:We are going to be at the Sundunes starting on the 26th,...
From Erlanger, KY? Drove past there at least 4-times a year 2002-2015 when daughter and family lived in Dayton. Landmark - the "Florence Y'all" water tower on I-75!
I drive by that sign every day going to work.

This will be our 5th trip to Navarre, each visit has been better than the last. Our Daughter just graduated from college and our son starts college this fall so this may be one of the last trips with the whole tribe so it is a little bitter sweet.
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:
From A Buick 8 wrote:
I will provide you with an approximate calculation later today based upon the past week's sand distribution. However, it will be strictly an estimate on when the Project will move past the Sundunes condo.
I drove out to the beach about an hour ago and noticed that the Renourishment Project is west of both Emerald Surf and Viewpoint. The Project is now about 0.5 miles from Sundunes. I talked with the Project’s onsite engineer yesterday and he says the Project is moving faster than the projected 500 feet per 24 hours, and that the Project is moving about 700 feet per 24 hours. Based on the 0.5 miles to reach the Sundunes my estimation is that the Project could reach the Sundunes by Sunday, May 22. Maybe sooner or maybe later.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 6:33 pm

The survey crew was in front of SunDunes today. Yesterday they put stakes out but stopped just east of the walkover. I will post pics of today's work from our balcony at SunDunes.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4938 times
wregle
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Here are some zoomed in shots of the stakes, the boat and the beach. And yes people are still leaving their things on the beach!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1011.46 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (552.99 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (591.7 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Curdoglsu

Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote: I drove out to the beach about an hour ago and noticed that the Renourishment Project is west of both Emerald Surf and Viewpoint. The Project is now about 0.5 miles from Sundunes. I talked with the Project’s onsite engineer yesterday and he says the Project is moving faster than the projected 500 feet per 24 hours, and that the Project is moving about 700 feet per 24 hours. Based on the 0.5 miles to reach the Sundunes my estimation is that the Project could reach the Sundunes by Sunday, May 22. Maybe sooner or maybe later.
Kenny, is the Sundunes the 10 or so story tower? If so, it looked to me like it might be at the end of phase 3 which means they would not reach it until later after making the turn and coming back to it from the west. Do you have different information?
From A Buick 8

Wed May 18, 2016 8:03 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote: I drove out to the beach about an hour ago and noticed that the Renourishment Project is west of both Emerald Surf and Viewpoint. The Project is now about 0.5 miles from Sundunes. I talked with the Project’s onsite engineer yesterday and he says the Project is moving faster than the projected 500 feet per 24 hours, and that the Project is moving about 700 feet per 24 hours. Based on the 0.5 miles to reach the Sundunes my estimation is that the Project could reach the Sundunes by Sunday, May 22. Maybe sooner or maybe later.
thanks for that update.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Curdoglsu wrote:
Kenny, is the Sundunes the 10 or so story tower? If so, it looked to me like it might be at the end of phase 3 which means they would not reach it until later after making the turn and coming back to it from the west. Do you have different information?
I can not tell from the map (see below) if Sundunes is included in Segment 2 or Segment 3. If Sundunes is in Segment 3 it could be June for completion. I will try to find out about this matter tomorrow.
Navarre-Beach-Construction-Specifics.jpg
Navarre-Beach-Construction-Specifics.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
Navarre Beach Updates from Santa Rosa County
http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”