Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Curdoglsu

Wed May 18, 2016 9:40 pm

It looks like the Sundunes will be at the end of segment 3 when you zoom in on the live map here. http://santarosagis.maps.arcgis.com/app ... 651190fff5
From A Buick 8

Thu May 19, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks to all of you for digging into this, the friendly people on this site remind me of why we love the Navarre area.
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 19, 2016 7:22 am

My text message correspondence this morning with Jimmy Sellers, the Project's primary engineer on the site concerning Sundunes.

TEXT MESSAGE FROM KENNY WILDER
Jimmy, is Sundunes condo in Segment 2 or Segment 3? Do you have a physical address where these two Segments merge together? Do you have a better Segment Map better than the County's website that is high resolution. The County's Map is very low resolution.

TEXT MESSAGE FROM JIMMY SELLERS
It will most likely be in Segment 3. However, there's a slight chance it will be included in Segment 2. This depends on if the Contractor has good enough weather this weekend to switch to the second pipe. If yes, Sundunes will be near the end of Segment 3; if no, the Contractor may continue to pump on the existing line and Sundunes may end up being in the end of Segment 2. So, it depends on the weather.

I don't have a better segment map. Low resolution matches the governing circumstances, this case in point.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
From A Buick 8

Thu May 19, 2016 7:42 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:My text message correspondence this morning with Jimmy Sellers, the Project's primary engineer on the site concerning Sundunes.

TEXT MESSAGE FROM KENNY WILDER
Jimmy, is Sundunes condo in Segment 2 or Segment 3? Do you have a physical address where these two Segments merge together? Do you have a better Segment Map better than the County's website that is high resolution. The County's Map is very low resolution.

TEXT MESSAGE FROM JIMMY SELLERS
It will most likely be in Segment 3. However, there's a slight chance it will be included in Segment 2. This depends on if the Contractor has good enough weather this weekend to switch to the second pipe. If yes, Sundunes will be near the end of Segment 3; if no, the Contractor may continue to pump on the existing line and Sundunes may end up being in the end of Segment 2. So, it depends on the weather.

I don't have a better segment map. Low resolution matches the governing circumstances, this case in point.
Well I guess it is up to the weather, either way we are excited about coming down. Thanks for helping.
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
darondyer

Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 am

Got to witness a separation of the pipe yesterday. They fixed it lickety split.
The shelling has been unbelievable. These were all found in about an hour.
Attachments
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG (676.66 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG (899.47 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Lane

Sat May 21, 2016 11:29 am

My family is staying at Emerald Surf 6/3-6/10 and was wondering if the pipes will still be on the beach. I have done some research and it appears Emerald surf is in segment 2 but didn't know if they moved the whole operation from segment to segment or if they just added more pipes to reach segment 3. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 21, 2016 8:11 pm

20160521_19-48-42.jpg
20160521_19-48-42.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
Sundune is the largest condo at the middle of the image.

From A Buick 8,

I just captured the snapshot above a few minutes ago (7:48 PM) at sunset from the Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam. The Project is getting real close to Sundune condo. According to the master plan the Project should have already moved to Segment 3, but the good news is that the Project is still operating in segment 2. I will go down to the Sundune in the morning to check on the progress and post a message from the site.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Lane wrote:My family is staying at Emerald Surf 6/3-6/10 and was wondering if the pipes will still be on the beach. I have done some research and it appears Emerald surf is in segment 2 but didn't know if they moved the whole operation from segment to segment or if they just added more pipes to reach segment 3. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You should be ok since the Project has moved about 1/2 mile west of the Emerald Surf. Regardless of whether the Project going forward is in Segment 2 or Segment 3 the pipes in front of the Emerald Surf should be removed in a few days. Watch my HD 1080 Zoom Cam daily to see for yourself. My report is strictly an estimate on what is happening.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 am

TEXT MESSAGE FROM JIMMY SELLERS 5 MINUTES AGO

Good Morning Kenny.

They are switching to subline #2 today. So, Sundunes will be at the end of Segment 3.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Sun May 22, 2016 9:26 am

Noticed they had stopped today - at least right now. Guess they are getting ready to move. It has been interesting to watch. Selfishly I must say I am glad SunDunes is last - I am leaving tomorrow although there is plenty of beach I could have easily gotten to. I certainly wouldn't let this ruin my vacation. It is something you don't get to see very often. Use it as an educational tool - I have. Thank you for all your information Kenny.
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
wregle
Power User
Power User

Sun May 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Hats off to the Weeks guys today. First they walked the beach cleaning up oil spots on the sand left by a piece of equipment (I never saw any oil spots), 2nd they buried a dead fish for me before he started stinking and lastly they stopped moving the heavy equipment for a 10 year wedding vow renewal. Good job guys!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5703 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (478.57 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
From A Buick 8

Mon May 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:
20160521_19-48-42.jpg
Sundune is the largest condo at the middle of the image.

From A Buick 8,

I just captured the snapshot above a few minutes ago (7:48 PM) at sunset from the Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam. The Project is getting real close to Sundune condo. According to the master plan the Project should have already moved to Segment 3, but the good news is that the Project is still operating in segment 2. I will go down to the Sundune in the morning to check on the progress and post a message from the site.
Thanks, we leave Erlanger at about 2AM Thursday morning, so we are excited for our trip. This will be our first time there during memorial day weekend. Any special tips?
darondyer

Tue May 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Just an FYI,
There is a Gay Pride Festival going on in Pensacola this coming weekend. They have it there every year. Stay away from the beach in front of the Portofino. It will be jam packed and very hard to get through there. :roll:
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue May 24, 2016 5:44 pm

darondyer wrote:It will be ... very hard to get through there. :roll:
In other words, tightly clenched......

Sorry. I just had to make a tasteless joke about it.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
darondyer

Tue May 24, 2016 11:35 pm

I made that Mistake three years ago. We had to make multiple trips to Pensacola from Navarre and back. We saw at least two fights every time we went by. I am not prejudice, but this is a real nightmare. Not a place for your kids to see when this is going on. :shock:
I just wanted you to know.

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”