Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 am

darondyer wrote:I made that Mistake three years ago. We had to make multiple trips to Pensacola from Navarre and back. We saw at least two fights every time we went by. I am not prejudice, but this is a real nightmare. Not a place for your kids to see when this is going on. :shock:
I just wanted you to know.
Yup. I recall from a few years ago there were reports of "trouble", but not being there we only saw the news reports. Both unfortunate and unnecessary. I will pass on your warning.

Thanks.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Curdoglsu

Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 am

Kenny, any updates on the location of the re-nourishment and the speed at which it is moving?
cvaden

Fri May 27, 2016 11:17 am

You can track the location here http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/ just click on “Navarre Beach Renourishment Project Information” and you’ll see an interactive map. They update the map quite often. It does seem like it’s slowing down a bit but they’re still moving along pretty well. Based on my calculations segment 3 should be done sometime Sunday.
cvaden

Fri May 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Based on today’s interactive map update and google maps ruler accuracy it appears it has slowed down. Kenny, are they still using both the “R.N. Weeks” and the “B.E. Lindholm? Do my measurements look right?
Attachments
progress.png
progress.png (678.1 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Give me a few minutes and I will give you a real-time update from the head construction engineer.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 27, 2016 4:53 pm

NEW UPDATE JUST 10 MINUTES AGO

I talked on the phone with the head construction engineer. He says the following:

1. The RN Weeks is at a dock for refueling and a receiving a couple of repairs and should join the BE Lindholm tomorrow.

2. Since the RN Weeks is not currently working at the beach, the approximate advancement is about 300 feet per 24 hours. The BE Lindholm is a larger hopper dredge that also moves quicker than the RN Weeks. So when both hopper dredges start operating together again the advancement estimate may be 600 to 700 feet per 24 hours.

3. The completion of Segment 3 is estimated to be next Thursday or Friday (About 6 to 7 days from now). Other factors could make this happen longer or sooner.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
cvaden

Fri May 27, 2016 5:41 pm

That definitely explains the slowdown. Thanks so much for the update!

Curt
From A Buick 8

Sat May 28, 2016 11:05 am

Our trip is going great. Has been fun watching the sand restore project.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 6023 times
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
From A Buick 8

Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 am

They are in front of the Sundunes today.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (584.06 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
April 2009 was our first trip to Navarre. We would like to visit several times a year but alas we cannot. Can only afford every other year.
Curdoglsu

Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 am

Segment 3 is done. They are moving pipe to start segment 4 now.
cvaden

Tue May 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Wow that's impressive! So... based on the following numbers they should finish with Segment 4 around June 11th. Other factors could make this happen longer or sooner of course. I'm arriving June 18th at the west end of Segment 4, so some folks in my group will be happy. I personally didn't care. I actually think this Renourishment Project is amazing and was looking forward to watching in person.

Segment 1:
Start: April 29th
Finish: May 9th
Days: 11
Average a day: 480ft

Segment 2:
Start: May 9th
Finished: May 21st
Days: 12
Average a day: 440ft

Segment 3:
Start: May 21st
Finished: May 31st
Days: 10
Average a day: 528ft
Curdoglsu

Tue May 31, 2016 9:10 pm

I would think segment 4 might take longer than the others if they rebuild the dunes and the beach there that seemed worse than the others. Having said that, they may still be done before you arrive. They are VERY efficient and very friendly. Watching them stop patiently for people walking in front of heavy equipment cross traffic and actually helping my nephew pull a sailboat to the water has left me very impressed.
cvaden

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:16 am

You are correct. If I remember from last year, the dune is pretty much gone the last .3 miles or so of segment 4.

Update from Kenny on page one 1 of this tread confirms:
• The sand distribution will only require about 50% of the volume that was distributed during the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project for most of the beach. However, the very western end of the Beach will require much more sand distribution.
cvaden

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:32 am

I haven't seen the ships on the Zoom Cam. Am I just missing them?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 pm

cvaden wrote:I haven't seen the ships on the Zoom Cam. Am I just missing them?
Remember folks that I said from the beginning that the Renourishment Project's progress depends on having good weather. Of course the hopper dredges have been absent for a few days. TROPICAL STORM COLIN is the culprit. With winds now out of the north I expect that both hopper dredges will be back in operation soon.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”