Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:49 am

We'll be there last week of March too.

PARTY TIME!!!!!

:roll:
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:40 pm

UPDATE

SRC PIO News Release: Navarre Beach Renourishment Presentation - Feb. 11 at Tiger Point

Navarre Beach Renourishment Presentation - Feb. 11 at Tiger Point

The Santa Rosa County Board of County Commissioners will hold its regular meeting Feb. 11 at 9 a.m. in the Tiger Point Community Center, 1255 Country Club Road in Gulf Breeze. The final item on the agenda will be a presentation of the Navarre Beach renourishment project and the associated Municipal Services Benefit Unit (MSBU) funding formula as proposed by Coastal Technology Corporation. The information will be included in the agenda backup posted at http://www.santarosa.fl.gov closer to the meeting date. Residents are encouraged to attend and share feedback with the board.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:59 pm

UPDATE

This Update is about the Renourishment Project at Pensacola Beach that should have started about three months ago. Because of constant storms their Project has not started, which means that had the Renourisment Project at Navarre Beach been approved to start three months it too would not have happened because of the storms. I'm copying and pasting an article below from today's Pensacola News Journal that might shed some light on how weather can slow down or stop a Renourishment Project. The Dredge Ships are not designed to collect sand about four miles off our beaches during storms and big waves. This would greatly impact an increase of sea turtle kills, the safety of their Dredge's crew, cause damage to the Dredge and related equipment offshore and on the beach. Read he PNJ article as follows:

Crew on standby waiting to renourish beach

Pensacola News Journal
Thomas St. Myer, tstmyer@pnj.com 11:59 a.m. CST February 6, 2016
http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/pen ... jehwx3Dx3D

The breath-taking sight of white sand and waves of blue water crashing onto the shore greet anyone who walks across the Avenida 15 walkover on Pensacola Beach.

Turn to the west, though, and that picturesque sight is nowhere to be seen. Yellow CAT frontloaders, dozens of rust-brown colored pipes and other unsightly machinery nestled inside orange fencing occupy a stretch of the beach. An off-white and faded-red colored trailer and a navy Chevrolet pick-up truck are smack-dab in the middle of the construction site.

Men in orange vests sit in the truck and trailer and wait as the minutes slowly trickle by on this Thursday afternoon. The same holds true for whoever occupies the two barges hundreds of feet out in the Gulf of Mexico.

Their job is to complete the last few sections of piping and then spend the next couple months replenishing the beach with 1.75 million cubic yards of sand along 8.1 miles of shoreline.

Mother Nature refuses to let that happen, though.

Weeks Marine, a construction and dredging company, scheduled the beach renourishment to commence in mid-November and ideally complete the job weeks before spring break. That is a pipe dream at this point. Consistently high surf for the past three months is preventing the crew from completing the piping necessary to excavate and pump sand.

“I’ve lost so much money betting people when they’re going to start I’m going to shut my mouth,” said Paolo Ghio, the Santa Rosa Island Authority interim executive director. “There are a few sections to install. They’re so close they can see it.”

The Island Authority is paying Weeks Marine about $17 million for the project. Escambia County loaned $8.5 million to the island governing body and the state is covering the other half with a matching grant. Weeks Marine is wasting valuable man hours and machinery waiting for the high surf to calm down, but Ghio said the contract is locked in at the negotiated price.

Ghio communicates with Weeks Marine through Al Browder, senior engineer and vice president of Olsen Associates, Inc. Coastal Engineering. The News Journal left unreturned messages for Browder on Thursday and Friday seeking comment on how the delay is impacting Weeks Marine. The crew at the beach declined to speak to the News Journal on Thursday, too, citing company policy.

Weeks Marine uses long-range and historical forecasts when planning these projects, but Ghio said unusual weather this season is wreaking havoc.

“It’s very unusual to have sustained winds out of the south,” he said. “The storm we had (Wednesday) is an anomaly.”

The Island Authority prefers to complete renourishment before tourism season kicks into gear, but Weeks Marine last replenished the beach 10 years ago from May through September without significantly impacting the number of visitors.

In fact, seashell collectors traditionally show up in droves during renourishment. Buried seashells are excavated along with the sand from the borrow area and pumped onto the shore.

Ingrid Rivers lives near Avenida 15. She spent her Thursday afternoon scooping up seashells into a green bucket and walking her Dalmatian, Reax, and rat terrier, Manchester. She said her father owns property at Villas on the Gulf, 1650 Via de Luna, and the water there is up to the dunes.

“They definitely need it,” Rivers said of beach replenishment. “(His property) is literally sitting on the water.”

Rivers walks each day past the machinery on the beach. She said she barely notices the frontloaders and pipes, but the construction crew sitting there is virtually impossible to ignore.

“It’s weird seeing them out there at night, just sitting in the same spot,” she said. “I find that odd.”

NAVARRE BEACH RENOURISHMENT

Weeks Marine is contracted to replenish Navarre Beach this year, too. The dredging company will pump 1.6 million cubic yards of sand over a 4.1-mile stretch.

Santa Rosa County Commissioner Rob Williamson (District-5) said the delay in completing Pensacola Beach renourishment will not impact the Navarre Beach project.

“The dredging equipment that will be used for our project is currently off the coast of the northeastern portion of the United States,” Williamson said.

The Santa Rosa County Tourism Development Council is asking the commissioners to postpone the nearly $15 million restoration, citing a potential negative impact on tourism.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
ra1049

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 am

Kenny - thanks for sharing all the great information. Have you seen any updates on the plans for dredging this spring/summer? I never heard the outcome of the city council meeting, or if dredging has begun.

We are staying right by the pier in late May, so hoping our trip wont have to be rescheduled. Love visiting Navarre!

Thanks,
Ricky
marko

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:11 am

I am curious too. Had such great shelling last time. I was hoping to time a May/June visit, but my mothers health has been waning of late.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 am

First of all, Marko, so sorry to hear about your mom. She (and you guys) will be in my prayers with love and concern.

The shelling was actually good for many, many months after renourishment ... we were visiting (in view of relocation) during the renourishment and moved there a few months thereafter. It was even fairly good a couple of years later, in fact.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
marko

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

It was fun just to watch it going on. I have bunches of shells still, but one always needs more :). I have ideas for projects, but haven't worked them out enough to start. Yard fence art is all the rage here. Also would like some lit up shell sculptures for the rock garden.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:03 pm

marko wrote:It was fun just to watch it going on. I have bunches of shells still, but one always needs more :). I have ideas for projects, but haven't worked them out enough to start. Yard fence art is all the rage here. Also would like some lit up shell sculptures for the rock garden.
Yes, it was! I agree - NEVER have enough shells (although my hubby would probably disagree ... every time we move, he asks "what on earth are you going to do with all these shells --- repopulate all beaches of the entire world????"
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:18 am

Just read that the start of the NB renourishment will be delayed until mid-late April? (instead of April 1st). Weeks Marine is behind on another project (due to weather). By contract still required to complete in 180-days.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
TxYank

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am

Are there any updates on this project? We are thinking of visiting in early June and am concerned that the re nourishment may impact the visit. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:49 am

Make Navarre Beach Great Again!

When the Navarre Beach Renourishment Project begins most properties will only be impacted by only 24 to 48 hours as the Project moves down the beach from east to west. The Project will start at the eastern end of the Navarre Beach Marine Park and continue towards the Pier and ultimately towards the western boundary of the Beach.

As you can see you will only be impacted for a short period of time if the Project happens to be at your vacation location. I suggest that you plan to come on.

A special blessing is that the Project will produce an unbelievable bonanza of shells along the edge of the surf. “Make Navarre Beach Great Again” by coming this year.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
TxYank

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks Kenny. Does the restoration include where the water hits the beach or just the berms above water level? Any thoughts on smell from the sand being brought in? We are about to put payment down on a property on the west side of the beach for early June - looks like planning for the restoration for that part of the island coincides with our visit.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:16 am

The Project will add new sand from the Berm where it has deteriorated, and new sand will be added from the Berm out past the surf making the Beach much wider than it is now. There should be no significant smell from the Project.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm

TxYank wrote: ... Any thoughts on smell from the sand being brought in? .
Jim, we were staying directly beachside for two weeks during the first renourishment and there were absolutely no unusual smells from the new sand ... only thing we noticed was when our neighbor burned whatever it was he was grilling! :) LOL

We did, however, notice a marked increase in number of shells while combing the beach for shells! You know I was in shelling heaven!!!! Image
AngelGirl

lovenavarre

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:20 am

Good morning. First off - thanks so much to Kenny for maintaining this forum. The information is always so helpful! I have a quick questionabout the restoration. Do the walkovers have to be removed (the ones that are owned by the property owners) when they are doing this work ? Reason I am asking is we always go the 2nd week of July. Our concern is having a walkover for our 86 year old Mother. I know there are no guarantees - just wondered how the process works.

Can't wait to get back to our little slice of Heaven - envious of those of you who enjoy it (and take care of it) everyday.

Thanks! :D

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”