Update(s) About the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:35 am

lovenavarre wrote:Do the walkovers have to be removed (the ones that are owned by the property owners) when they are doing this work ?
I don't think so. Since, in most places, the berm is intact - there will be little/no sand added to the berm tops, or landward side? Suspect they may add some sand on the gulf side face - if so, guess they would just push it up to the walk over steps/ramp - maybe bury some steps, so fewer steps till hit the sand?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:47 pm

UPDATE

Beach renourishment equipment should start moving in Friday

South Santa Rosa News
By Romi White ~ April 11, 2016

Equipment is expected to be moved this week to start Navarre Beach renourishment, and the project is expected to last through mid-June. The project will start at Navarre Beach Marine Park and work westward at an rate of about 500 feet per day.

Roughly 1.3 million cubic yards of sand are expected to be placed from immediately east of the Gulf Islands National Seashore to the eastern limit of Navarre Beach Marine Park by Weeks Marine.

According to Santa Rosa County Public Information Officer Brandi Whitehurst, “construction will make use of the same offshore borrow area used for the initial 2006 restoration project.”

Officials say sand may appear slightly gray when first put ashore but will lighten to “near white” as the sand dries and is exposed to the sun.

The project will also restore the dune crest to a width of 30 feet with native dune plants, increase the width of the beach berm by 100 to 200 feet, and once started likely occur 24 hours per day at 7 days per week until completed.

The contractor is set to use the east portion of the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier parking lot and the beach access at South Carolina Street to stage land-based equipment.

Whitehurst said two “Trailing Suction Hopper Dredges” – the “R.N. Weeks” and the “B.E. Lindholm” will be used to excavate sand from the offshore borrow area, haul the material to a submerged pipeline near the beach, connect to the pipeline and begin hydraulic placement of the material onto the beach with extension of the pipeline along the beach as construction progresses.

About 2,200 feet of submerged pipeline will be connect an offshore pump-out station to the beach at two sites near Beach Colony Resort and just east of Missouri St.

Weeks Marine is scheduled to perform restoration at Pensacola Beach following Navarre Beach renourishment.

Per the county, up to a 1,000-foot long area of beach around the pipeline discharge will be closed to the public through fencing. “Beaches east and west of the pipeline discharge will be open to the public,” said Whitehurst, adding, “Sand ramps will be placed over the pipeline to allow beachgoers access to the Gulf.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenny Wilder: To understand the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project check out the two links below of my two photo galleries of the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project.

Navarre Beach Restoration Project
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/startrestoration

ABOARD THE DREDGE R.N. WEEKS
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/rn_weeks
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
MN.Marty

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:03 am

Hello All.
After following this fantastic website for over a year I figure now is a perfect time to introduce myself. I am Marty from Minnesota. My wife and I made our first trip to Navarre Beach a year ago and will be back for two weeks beginning the 23rd of this month. We will have our two young grandsons with us for the first week of our vacation and will be staying at the Beach Colony. It looks like we may have a front row seat to the beach renourishment project. Just looking for any thoughts on how this will effect our stay and access to the beach. I have two grandkids that have a promise from grandpa of shells and sand castles every day.
May God continue to bless you all!
Marty
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 am

Yes, you may have quite a "show" for the grandkids (and self)!

My guess is - if the "action" is right in the vicinity of Beach Colony - you may have to walk or drive to another access point to play on the beach. But with them moving along at approx. 300-feet a day, and supposed to have only about 1000-feet of beach closed at a time, should not be far to go.
Can also play to the west of the active site and experience the "old" beach - and then the next day go east of the active site to experience the "new" beach (and should have lots of shells).

Welcome from MN - that is my family home state (parents, grandparents, brother, aunts/uncles/cousins/nephews/nieces, etc.) - lots of relatives all over. But after 30-years in the AF (including 2-years at Duluth IAP) we didn't want to deal with snow or ice anymore (and like the "ocean"/gulf and beaches). Did spent all my summers as a kid at a family "cabin" on a lake in the Annandale area - alas, with my parents & grandparents deaths, we do not own it anymore.
Where in MN do you hail from? We do plan to visit family there in late September this year, mostly in Mpls. area.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 am

Our family was in Navarre during the last renourishment and it is an amazing thing to see and fun to watch! And shells galore!

lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:04 am

Plus you can give us updates while you are there! :)

MN.Marty

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 am

Thank you so much for your input. I love the idea that we will be able to explore a "new" beach and am looking forward to the larger amount of shells available. It would be an honor to post an update or two as to the work and beach conditions.
Pete- I figured that there had to be a Minnesota connection from the way you end your posts. My wife and I live in the city of Coon Rapids which is about 20 miles north of the Twin Cities. I work in Minneapolis but much prefer the country and outdoor life.

God Bless,
Marty
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:35 am

MN.Marty wrote:...live in the city of Coon Rapids which is about 20 miles north of the Twin Cities. I work in Minneapolis but much prefer the country and outdoor life. Marty
Not sure I would consider Coon Rapids "in the country" anymore?! Maybe when I was a kid? :)
My brother works in New Hope in aluminum casting and machining - bit of a commute from his home in Burnsville (originally had job in Bloomington). Were you around for the "famous" Crystal Airport tornado? Have a cousin in White Bear Lake, and mother graduated from Forest Lake HS - she grew up on a farm in Scandia. Both my folks U of MN grads. Small world.
Will watch for when you are here - may try to cross paths to exchange a Minnesooota "Hey", you betcha!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
MN.Marty

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

Hey Pete, That would be wonderful. I would enjoy meeting you. For the first week of our two week vacation I will be with my wife, daughter and two young grandsons and plan to be on the beach every day in front of the Beach Colony, if we have access. If you make it just look for the three kids having a blast on the beach. I'll be the tall one.

God Bless,
Marty
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:27 pm

The sand distribution will move swiftly at about 500 feet per 24 hours. Even if the project is at your condo or beach house the contractor will provide a temporary walkover to the beach and surf that will cover the large 36” diameter pipes. Folks please be assured that you will have access to the beach and surf at all times.

If you folks had taken the time to view the photo galleries that I provided you in the thread above for the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project you would have been able to notice the temporary walkovers that I described above. Below is a photo that I shot on April 15, 2006 at the western end of the beach in the vicinity of Ohio Street about 3 miles west of the Fishing Pier. Relax folks everything is going to be ok.
KWW_8458.jpg
KWW_8458.jpg (712.57 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
Photo by Kenny Wilder

Kenny Wilder: "Again" to understand the 2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project check out the two links below of my two photo galleries of the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. The 2016 Renourishment Project will be similar to the 2006 Project

Navarre Beach Restoration Project
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/startrestoration

ABOARD THE DREDGE R.N. WEEKS
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/rn_weeks
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm

I just talked with Jimmy Sellers the lead consultant for the Renourishment Project at his office in Vero Beach, FL. He says that the plans are to place the large 36" wide pipes at the 1st location tomorrow and maybe the 2nd location on Thursday to be coordinated with two dredge ships. Each location will have 2,200 feet of 36" diameter pipes and then turn 90 degrees to connect to an area in the Gulf.

The dredges could be here within the next 7 to 14 days assuming that there are no more delays.

This is what the Pipe setup will look like. Photo by Kenny Wilder of the 2006 Restoration Project.

Santa Rosa County Renourishment Link:
http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/news/newsre ... %20FAQ.pdf
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Work begins....

A short video from Randy on his balcony by the pier:

[video][/video]
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Great video! It is fascinating how this renourishment works!

Baby_Turtle11

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm

So when exactly is this starting because I have heard that it is going to be occurring during the nesting season of sea turtles. I have been working my butt off for the past couple of years trying to give these little guys the best chance to survive considering that their odds of survival are only 1 in 1000.So what is going to be done with them?
Last edited by Baby_Turtle11 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Baby_Turtle11 wrote:So when exactly is this starting because I have heard that it is going to be occurring during the nesting season of sea turtles. I have been working my butt off for the past couple of years trying to give these little guys the best chance to survive considering that their odds of survival are only 1 in 1000. And if you are going to be doing this during their nesting season then none of them are going to have a chance at all because you will be killing them all. If this is the case what is going to be done with them? And why in the world couldn't this project started in the winter when the tourist weren't here and the sea turtles weren't nesting?
It starts now.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”