New man made reefs ?

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
softbutchharley

Sun May 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Starting to move past the restoration and onward to looking for the new reefs (?) .
Has anyone got any info on the reef scheduled for appx 1 mile out by the pier ? 1 mile wide X 4miles long ? If I remember correctly, this was to be around the same time as beach restore. Another one further east and the Marine Parks snorkel reef and park redo ?
hmmmm.... maybe I should start a topic ? :)
Thanks for any info and/or direction on these additions to the 'hood . )
Joannie sends...................ONE Love.............
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon May 09, 2016 8:47 am

The extent of the reef addition/expansion project is outlined on pages 90-95 of the December 2015 BOCC back-up documentation at:

http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/agendas/12-7-15back-up.pdf

It involves a tripling of the size of the existing gulf-side snorkeling reef, and the construction of an inshore fishing/diving reef of approx. 1-mile wide (N-S) and 2-miles long (E-W) the near edge being about 1-mile out from the pier.

I don't see a timetable - but seems it was this year?
The BOCC did pick an engineering consulting firm in March or so.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
softbutchharley

Mon May 09, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks for that info Pete..............you rocketh......... :)
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
briancoleman

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:17 pm

The link in the second message returns an error now. Does anyone know at what stage the offshore reef project is? It's been talked about for years now but I can never seem to find any information on when the project will actually begin. Thanks

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”