Colin and the new sand

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Susan

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I have been watching the webcam on and off today. The water is coming very high up on the beach but the waves have not been overly rough. Looks like the new beach area needs a few more inches of sand added?? Would love to hear others thoughts.

Susan
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:24 pm

20160606_13-51-20.jpg
20160606_13-51-20.jpg (224.92 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
Snapshot from the Navarre Beach Live HD 1080 Zoom Cam

Folks, what did you not understand about the Tropical Storm Colin and its storm surge at Navarre Beach? The Renourishment Project is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Otherwise, the beach is in great shape even with high tides and the storm surge. Once the storm surge is gone the beach will recover and appear as before the Renourishment Project. And NO the Renourishment Project will NOT be adding more sand.

In past years a storm surge from a Tropical Storm such as we are witnessing today would be hitting the top of the Berm (Sand Dune). We are nowhere close to this happening.

And the waves are not very high. Are you kidding me? These are HUGE waves hitting the beach all day. Look at the snapshot above from the HD 1080 Zoom Cam that was captured about 20 minutes ago. See those kids in the surf. They are in danger of being knocked down in the surf and the current pulling them out to sea. See those stupid parents watching their kids being endangered.

WE HAVE A RED FLAG TODAY: Stay out of the water. Period!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:30 pm

20160606_14-26-55.jpg
20160606_14-26-55.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
Snapshot from the HD 1080 Zoom Cam about 5 minutes ago of the Storm Surge at the Belle Mer

The “New” Beach Renourishment Project is performing beautifully and protecting the Berm (Sand Dune) as it was designed to do.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Susan

Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Gosh, Kenny, that was an unnecessarily harsh response.
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:58 pm

There is a similar thread on a certain Facebook group about this.

Some of the ignorance being waved about on there equals a harsh response.

Add a smiley face to Kenny's reply and it all falls into place.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:31 am

Looking at the breaker in Kenny's first image - vs. the size of the folks seated on the beach (assume around 6-feet tall) - looks like at least 6-foot breakers, maybe 8-foot. Big waves.
Also from zoom cam - shoreline now is scalloped. Moving water moves sand.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
HiTide

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:40 am

I was also concerned about the storm and damage to the new beach.
That being said, the beach has been scalloped at other time more noticeable than what I can see.
The wind, tides and waves will change the beach on a daily basis. I don't think and hope we have anything to worry about the job that has been done.
And after the Beach Sweeper makes a couple good passes, you wont's even notice where the storm had been.

Just my 2 cents

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”