Beach Errosion

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Is it just me or possibly the camera shots or does it look like a lot of the beach as eroded? I know it is scalloped and that is probably natural but it sure looks like the beach is much closer to the berm now! Thoughts anyone?
The Skipper

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:36 pm

It concerns me, too. I've been watching it, and even measuring it, and it seems to be getting narrower. I know we've lost at least 100 feet since the project was finished, and I figure part of that was planned in order to establish the offshore sand bar to break up waves. Most of that occurred during one storm last year around labor day. But I'm afraid we would lose all the way to the berm if we had a real storm. I understand it took about 6-8 years to get the permit to do the restoration. It seems to me that we ought to start getting the next permit so we can be ready when we have to do it again.
Wonder why we ever go home.
The Skipper

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 pm

The second set of pilings from the shore line (of the pier) is where the edge of the beach once was. It's the one that looks like an upside down "V".
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:51 pm

Is is spelled with one or two r's???

Skipper, I am not sure I would want another round of the beach replenishment. I know I would/will have numerous beachhouse owners that obviously disagree with me but humans just are not going to stop what nature/God wants to do. I agree with you that a pumped up storm may take much of the beach away. I think the berm is pretty safe but what is a berm without a beach but a big hill overlooking the water??
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Is is spelled with one or two r's???

Skipper, I am not sure I would want another round of the beach replenishment. I know I would/will have numerous beachhouse owners that obviously disagree with me but humans just are not going to stop what nature/God wants to do. I agree with you that a pumped up storm may take much of the beach away. I think the berm is pretty safe but what is a berm without a beach but a big hill overlooking the water??
The Skipper

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:02 pm

If it gets to where it needs to be rebuilt, it will be rebuilt.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Probably just like the beach road. You know what they say about doing something over and over the same way and expecting a different result is, don't you???
The Skipper

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:19 pm

I recall seeing houses fall into the water 3 months after Dennis. Properties have to be protected.
popsb

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Just returned from NB and there is a noticeable dropoff of at least 4 to 5 feet in the vicinity of Emerald Surf and the building to the west of ES. Cannot vouch for areas east of ES.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:13 pm

Skipper,

Not to beat a dead horse here and frankly I have no say since I don't live there yet but at what point does someone have to say..."if you want to live ON the beach, it is up to you as an individual, to secure your property!" I am not sure it is the county's/state's responsibility to build and re-build and rebuild again, a beach that is destined to do it's own thing over time. I recall seeing the same thing after Dennis and Ivan and I can also remember back as far as the early 70's and seeing a beach as wide as it could possibly be. However, do we keep rebuilding so a few can have a house on the water? I feel the same way about the beach road. If they are going to re-build it, should it not be of a different design than has been used since the late 60's? I feel beach house owners should foot the vast majority of "another" re-build, should that come to fruition. Hopefully, like the Houston/Galveston area, it will be 2-3 decades before another storm the size and location of Dennis and Ivan but I would not bet on it? Navarre Beach WILL be hit again and my money says that the beach will be long gone.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:31 pm

P'Kid, aren't the sea levels always a bit higher from the autumnal equinox until the spring equinox??? It's been awhile since I studied all that stuff ... but this just may be a natural event but we're more aware of it since we can now watch on the live Robo Web Cam! ;-) I really don't know, just presenting that possibility.

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
sandflea

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:46 pm

From what I understand, once an areas waterfront has been renourished it will remain on schedule for ongoing replenishment.
Hope that decreases some anxiety.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 am

AngelGirl wrote:P'Kid, aren't the sea levels always a bit higher from the autumnal equinox until the spring equinox??? It's been awhile since I studied all that stuff ... but this just may be a natural event but we're more aware of it since we can now watch on the live Robo Web Cam! ;-) I really don't know, just presenting that possibility.

A.G.
Not sure about all that but if the wind is from the north, the water level is lower. Also, in the winter, the water in the sound is lower.
LaTJ

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

Ok I tried out the search and here is where I ended up.
We are headed to the Southern Breeze townhouse in 8 days. Does anyone know the condition of the beach in front of this unit? thanks for any info.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:58 am

Based on the webcam view it's fine. It's always changing with conditions but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just enjoy. 8)

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”