PHOTOS: Navarre Beach and Hurricane Gustav

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Photos this morning from the effects of Hurricane Gustav
The Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 Passed Its First Test Today

I was shooting photos on Navarre Beach this morning along with hundreds of spectators watching the big waves from the outer bands of Hurricane Gustav. Navarre Beach held up to the surge on the eastern end of Navarre Beach. It is my opinion that the beach erosion was minimal in this area. However at noon today is High Tide, so we may see some beach erosion. The sea oats and other vegetation seemed to hold the berm intact around the Fishing Pier area. A few fences will need to be repaired, but this is not a big deal. Shown below are a few photos from my online gallery of my photo shoot today.

ImageClick image to enlarge

© 2008 Copyright – Photos by Kenny Wilder

CLICK HERE FOR MORE GUSTAV PHOTOS
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:33 pm

After viewing Navarrian’s video taken this morning a few hours after I shot my photos, it appears that my early assessment is wrong. Navarrian’s video shows substantial beach erosion, dune erosion and erosion of sea oats at the very western end of the beach. In my earlier post I was concerned about high tide at noon. I guess I was hoping that Gustav had ended early this morning. It was nasty!

It is my understanding that FEMA will pay about 75% of the cost to renourish the beach areas that were eroded.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 am

Thank you Kenny for your pictures. Yes, it appears the storm did substantial damage to the beach and berm in many places. I am assuming the western end looks much like the eastern end? We would greatly appreciate it Kenny, when the water subsides and everything clears up again, is for you to take some pictures on a very clear day, with the water pristine and that may give us the real picture (so to speak) on what the damage actually did. Ya know, kind of give us a perspective. It would be greatly appreciated!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:04 am

Will do!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Sparkle21

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:14 am

After i saw the pictures..Lots of fences got destroyed..How horrible is this..Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Regards

Albert

____
Pret immobilier

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”