Florida DEP Report of Hurricane Ike’s Storm Surge

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Florida DEP Report of Hurricane Ike’s Storm Surge

Today I received an e-mail with an attachment of a report from Reginald Bradley of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FL DEP). The report is a preliminary assessment with photos showing various locations on Navarre Beach in regard to the storm surge of Hurricane Ike on September 11-12. The FL DEP report was prepared on September 15.

CLICK HERE FOR FL DEP DOCUMENT
Be patient in opening this large 4 Mbps file.

Note: When reading the FL DEP report you will see a reference to Escambia County/Navarre Beach with no reference to Santa Rosa County. Escambia County has title to the property at Navarre Beach, but has a 99 year lease with Santa Rosa County. Go figure!
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
skipper

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Kenny,
Since the width and height of the beach south of the berm is much less than it was at the time of restoration, are they likely to fill there and extend the beach out furthur into the gulf?
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 pm

I really enjoyed seeing all of the pictures. That red brick house on the west end is one tough house! And the pier? The parts of it that are left just refuse to go down!!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 am

skipper wrote:Kenny,
Since the width and height of the beach south of the berm is much less than it was at the time of restoration, are they likely to fill there and extend the beach out furthur into the gulf?
I do not agree with your assumption totally that the width and height of the beach south of the berm is "much" less than it was at the time of restoration. However, I do agree that about 1500 feet of the Berm (Dune) at the very western end of the beach was severally eroded by Ike last week and Gustav the week before. The 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project allowed for some beach erosion after its completion.

Actually, about 90% of Navarre Beach received about 2 to 4 feet high of “new” sand on the edge of the Berm from the storm surge of Hurricane Ike on September 11 and September 12. This is nature’s way of rebuilding the Berm (Dune). Personally, I am very pleased with how the Berm held up against the storm surge of both Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike with the exception of the very western end of the beach.

The Florida DEP, Santa Rosa County and its consultant Coastal Tech are already at work in preparing assessments of any beach erosion in relation to the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. Shortly, I will post on the Forum the preliminary assessment that I received by e-mail yesterday from Coastal Tech.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 am

Since last Friday, September 12 I have received about 16 e-mails from Santa Rosa County (SRC) Commissioner Goodin, other SRC officials, Coastal Tech (SRC beach consultants), and officials with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FL DEP). Yesterday, September 17, I received an e-mail where I was copied by Cliff Truitt with Coastal Tech. Cliff’s e-mail is shown below. Please bear in mind that this represents a preliminary review of the steps needed for beach renourishment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commissioner Goodin,

We are making a very preliminary review internally right now based just on the photos from Kenny & Jane and the photos and descriptions from the FDEP Field Representative [ones on the ftp site]. In terms of the ‘steps’ – there needs to be 1). an initial ‘estimate’ about the total cost in the various categories of storm damage; we can have that for the beach within a few days, 2). a confirmation of a formal disaster declaration and 3) then the opportunity for further refinement of the costs, and 4) likely a subsequent site inspection by a FEMA consultant. In my experience this entire process might take several weeks to months.

Few caveats:
- FEMA will not typically reimburse the County the cost of a formal beach survey to establish the level/cost of damage. It is in your interest to work with the FDEP and SRIA, etc. to see if we can work-up a regional post-storm monitoring survey that all parties can use and will result in less up-front cost to all.
- If/when FEMA agrees to a reimbursement, that agreement will be based on only the volumetric loss attributable to the storm [i.e., not all the background sand losses up to this date can be included]; they will look at the recent monitoring and ‘debit’ those previous losses and also the sand that they believe is still in the nearshore system, even if not on the dune. They will use an ‘effective unit cost’ per cubic yard of sand; not the original full mobilization, plus unit cost.
- FEMA will reimburse typically 75% of the damage repair cost [unless there is a specific different percentage specified in the declaration]. Note that because of the very high cost of dredge mobilization, per above, you may find it does not make sense economically to mobilize just for the repair effort, but is better to wait and apply the FEMA money to a larger, but later effort.
- The above is not to say that we couldn’t take some interim measures; certainly to return the sand lost/collected on the upland back to the dune area [with FDEP permit/concurrence] and/or to use the upland borrow sources we discussed originally to make a temporary dune repairs. Note that although there was loss of the dune over the ~1000 feet on the west end, there is still a large overall volume of sand in that area and substantial width of dry beach [although certainly too ‘low’].

Our focus will be on adding material and other measures to replace the basic dune/storm protection on the west end before the oncoming winter season, and working with FDEP [and FEMA] to put the County in the best financial position for the long-term.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
keywester

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:50 am

this is very good information kenny. i'm going to share it with my homeowner association.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 am

Kenny,
down on the east end we got more berm. Not higher but wider. My "stay off the dune signs are just about covered. They were about 3 ft before the storm.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:59 pm

E-mail received this afternoon from Coastal Tech, SRC Navarre Beach consultant about the Hurricane Ike beach erosion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 4:17 PM
To: Commissioner Goodin
Cc: janej@mchsi.com; Kenny@NavarreBeachLife.com; Paden.Woodruff@dep.state.fl.us; michael.barnett@dep.state.fl.us; Phil.Ciaravella@dep.state.fl.us; Michael Walther; Tem Fontaine; Julia Thompson; Roger Blaylock; Hunter Walker; Tom Dannheisser; Shirley Powell; Sally Davenport
Subject: RE: Navarre Beach

Commissioner Goodin:

Let me organize my comments into three areas: the damage; the status of the state and federal responses; and our suggestions for next week:

I won’t spend a lot of time describing and discussing the damage at this point; you and the other residents have seen your own beach and are as familiar, or more so, than we are. However, in summary we have looked at several sources of photos and we have reviewed a ‘windshield survey’ prepared by the FDEP staff and also talked to County staff who were on the island. While the loss of the primary dune is a significant issue, it is limited to about 750 feet on the extreme west end of the project. The dune in this area was leveled and the sand was distributed both landward, under the homes in the area, and westward onto the Park; we can see in the photos and surveys the straightened shoreline that now exists from Navarre for several hundred feet into the Park versus the ‘jog’ that was originally created by the fill construction. Even though the dune has been lost in this section, there is still a considerable width of dry beach in place, approaching 100 or more feet. As one moves east, past South Carolina St and Beach Access No.1, the dune damage decreases considerably. This area was over-washed by wave up-rush, on top of the storm surge, on top of the normal high tide that Thursday morning. Sand was lost as well as some of the dune vegetation, but there is still reasonable partial dune width remaining along with dry beach at the lower berm. East of there, through the pier, the storm losses appear to be minimal. Our preliminary calculation estimates roughly 20,000 cubic yards of sand was eroded from the dry beach along the west end during Ike. We will continue to refine this number and to verify the unit costs next week, but a very preliminary value of perhaps $250,000 might be assigned to these losses.

We have checked with both FEMA and the State within the past 2 hours. At this time, there is neither a federal disaster declaration for the Panhandle, nor is there a request by the State DCA/DEM for damage data from local governments that would typically lead to the Governor requesting federal involvement. This is a critical step and requirement that is so far missing from the process. We have looked only narrowly at the sand losses from the beach; but as you and staff know, Public Assistance draws in many other categories including other infrastructure, debris clearing, and ‘extra’ salary for emergency personnel. Of course, we have no knowledge of any of these other factors in Santa Rosa County; but again, the latest information we have is that DCA has not requested such loss data from the Panhandle for Ike.

As for next week, we will finish up our preliminary analyses and work with County staff to develop a simple step-wise approach to getting some more precise survey data and beginning to look at interim recovery/repair options. As I said in my earlier note, we want to focus on restoring a reasonable level of storm protection to those properties where the dune was lost – and do so before the winter season. Whether this might take the form of a limited truck-haul dune project and/or perhaps recovery of some of the nearshore sand moved away by the storm will depend on the data and on discussions of options with staff and the FDEP. Cost partnering options and permit requirements will be part of those discussions.

Coastal Tech is committed to working to resolve the situation and helping the County restore the damaged section of what is otherwise a very successful and well-performing storm protect project. I would also like to take this opportunity to ‘introduce’ Sally Davenport, the head of Coastal Tech’s Coast Zone Management staff. Sally is a federally Certified Flood Plain Manager and has worked with me on previous FEMA reimbursement requests in SW Florida; she is in Coastal Tech’s Austin office at 512-236-9494, Email above, and will continue to monitor the FEMA and State responses to Ike; together Sally and I will do all we can to keep you informed and to assist with whatever requests are forthcoming.

Cliff Truitt, P.E., Ph.D.
Director of Engineering
Coastal Tech
1900 Main St.; Ste. 210
Sarasota, FL 34236
V:941.906.1138
F: 941.906.1218
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
skipper

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I recall that the distance from the Navarre Towers property line (the wood fence at the beginning of our walkover) was about 300 feet to the water when the beach reconstruction was completed. Coastal Tech can tell us the actual distance. Now it's about half that distance. What about all that loss?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”