RESTORATION UPDATE JAN 9 -- E-mail from Commissioner Goodin

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:13 am

UPATE: Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2009

From: Commissioner Goodin [mailto:CommGoodin@santarosa.fl.gov]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 12:22 PM
To: kenny@navarrebeachphotos.com
Subject: FW: Interim Project Schedule

Hello Kenny. The schedule below is for the restoration of the Beach Renourishment. Since it is FEMA eligible for reimbursement, the project entails placing more sand in the water to widen the beach. Consequently the permitting process is longer than if we were going to simply repair the dune and not place any sand in the water. As you well know, none of this is simple, but as we make some progress we will attempt to get permission to do this work while turtle nesting season is in. This could advance the project to a time prior to the height of hurricane season. I'll keep you posted.

gg

Gordon Goodin
Santa Rosa County Commissioner, District 4
850-983-1876

www.santarosa.fl.gov

www.GulfCoastAerospaceandDefense.com

Public Records Notice
Florida has a very broad public records law. Written communications to or from elected officials regarding official matters are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your e-mail and other communications are subject to public disclosure.

Sent: Fri 1/9/2009 9:58 AM
To: Board of County Commissioners
Cc: Hunter Walker
Subject: Interim Project Schedule
Project schedule is described below,

Roger A. Blaylock, P.E.
Santa Rosa County Engineer
850 981-7100 Office
850 983-2161 FAX

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 9:52 AM
To: Roger Blaylock
Cc: Michael Walther; Tem Fontaine; Lois Edwards
Subject: Interim Project Schedule
As we have discussed, this mail is to summarize our schedule to prepare design drawings and obtain permits for post-storm restoration of the west end of Navarre Beach as follows:
• Coastal Tech is now actively working to prepare the preliminary design drawings and permit application for submittal to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) before the end of February. Coastal Tech will request that FDEP “re-activate” and modify the original, still valid Joint Coastal Permit (JCP) and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) permit. After submission of the permit application,
• Coastal Tech will directly confer with the US Fish & Wildlife Service and commenting federal agencies to expedite issuance of a Biological Opinion.
• It is expected that the modified FDEP and USACE permits and Biological Opinion may be issued within approximately six months – near mid to late summer in 2009.
• Construction is expected to commence immediately following issuance of the required permits. Coastal Tech optimistically expects to obtain the necessary permits to allow construction in late summer of 2009.

If you have any questions, please contact me or Michael (888-562-8580).

Cliff Truitt, P.E., Ph.D.
Director of Engineering
Coastal Tech
1900 Main St.; Ste. 210
Sarasota, FL 34236
V: 941.906.1138
F: 941.906.1218
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
tlct6810

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Can you guys tell me just what happens when beach restoration in going on? I mean how does it affect the use of the beach, what/where are you allowed to be? We are always there late August and if the restoration is going on I just want to know what to expect. Any details will help. Thanks!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:26 am

You should not worry about vacationing at Navarre Beach this summer or fall during the proposed beach restoration. The proposed beach restoration of 2009 will be much different than the Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 for the following reasons:

1. The Beach Restoration Project of 2006 provided for new sand placement and a berm (dune) along about 4.5 miles of beach including the old State Park. The proposed Beach Restoration of 2009 only provides for about 1,500 feet of new sand at the very western end of Navarre Beach that borders the Gulf Islands National Seashore.

2. The 2006 Project used a dredge ship to collect sand about 4 miles off shore in the Gulf. Once the sand was collected the dredge ship anchored about 1500 feet off shore and delivered the new sand through 36 inch pipes onto the beach where the sand was distributed. It is my understanding that 2009 Project will not use the dredge ship and pipe process because it will be too expensive for only about 1,500 feet of sand. Instead sand will be trucked in and distributed by bulldozers.

3. During the 2006 Project large areas of beach access were blocked off. This will not be the case for the 2009 Project because of the small area affected. Besides the walkovers will be repaired in plenty of time and you will have also have access at the very western end of the beach that borders the National Seashore.

If you read the post above in this thread you will see that the County’s estimated start time for the beach restoration you will see that it should be about “near mid to late summer in 2009”. All of this is contingent upon all federal and state regulatory agency permits being approved. History shows that the permitting process can take much longer than the County and their consultants estimates. One thing to consider is that FEMA has not approved the application for approval. Roger Blaylock, the beach county engineer told me at a meeting on January 16 that FEMA told him that the application looks good, but final approval for funding has not been granted to date. It is my understanding that FEMA will pay 75% of the beach restoration cost with the state is picking up most of the difference. My gut feeling is that the beach restoration project may start between August and November of 2009.

On December 10, 2008 I posted a message where FEMA turned down Dauphin Island in Alabama’s request for $3.6 million along 3 miles of Gulf beachfront. http://navarrebeachlife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3567 - In the past it seems that other beaches were favored over Navarre Beach. I looks like this time we may be the favored beach.

For those interested in the beginning and ending of a beach restoration process using a dredge ship and pipes for distributing sand onto a beach, I created a photo documentary of the Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 that includes over 800 photos. Just click on the links below.

Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 - Onshore
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/startrestoration

The dredge R.N. Weeks - Offshore
http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/rn_weeks
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
newyorkjim

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

KEN, SOUNDS LIKE FIXING THE 1500 FT. OF BEACH AT THE WESTERN END WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND, THE SECTION NEAR THE PIER ACTUALLY GAINED SOME BEACH DURING IKE. IF THAT'S THE CASE LOOKS LIKE WE'LL BE IN GOOD SHAPE. AND WITH THE ROAD AND PIER ..... BEAUTIFUL.
skipper

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm

It will be good to restore the berm on the west end, but what about the rest of the beach? We are down to 10 to 15 feet of beach now, if we stay off the berm, and we haven't had a major storm.

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”