Beach erosion, or a natural cycle?

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Lagunatic
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:28 pm

So if you're still stuck in Vegas try to visit the new Steve Wynn's Encore resort and the Wynn Las Vegas. I hear they are very nice. Have a safe trip back to Florida.
Remember, where your treasure is, there your heart is also.
cshells
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 am

Kenny thanks for posting the information concerning the beach and the renourishment project.

I don't know whether I'll make it this summer or not (hubby and I might). My sisters and I were planning a trip to Navarre this summer but for a number of reason the - probably the main one is Mom was disappointed because we weren't going to spend our sister trip time with her (she will be 88 this year and said she is not going to return to the beach) we have decided to vacation closer to home (with Mom).
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 am

Skipper,

I have been coming to Navarre even longer than you, friend...1971/2. I have seen Navarre Beach almost from it's, "commercial conception!" I was staying there when there was not even a grocery store. Had to drive into Fort Walton! Needless to say, I have seen the very good and the very bad. I respect your opinions about development of the island and I know many who feel as you do. I have so many fond memories of my time on the island and that includes many properties on the beach as well as across the road. I just happen to have an opposite opinion of the development of the beachside properties. Neither are good or bad or right or wrong. I do know this though.....

if one builds on the beach, with all that, that entails, when it goes wrong, that property owner should be totally responsible for repair/rebuilding, etc. Not a dollar one should come from any place other than that owners wallet! I also feel it is just a bit insane to do something to same way, each time and expect a different result..or, maybe not expect a different result but just keep doing it over and over and over again the same way.. i.e. the beach road, the renourishment (provided it is taken out again) at tax payer expense

But again, we have been down this road before and obviously, nothing changes either with the discussion or the actual repairs.
skipper

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:15 am

P'kid,
I assume that when you said that the cost of beach repair should be paid for by the owner you were meaning the county should pay for it. They are the owner. If you meant that the people that are leasing the property from the county should pay for it, then make the beaches privately owned, and then the owners can fix them. It sounds like you want the people leasing the property to pay for the repairs, and then let the visitors enjoy the beaches for free.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Skipper,

I stand corrected! The county does own it so I suppose if it gets washed out again, the county should pay for it! The houses, etc. are a different story, obviously. Now that darned beach road is a different thing altogether! In either case, to continually re-build and rebuild, at least to me is a tremendous waste. Another hurricane of Ivan's intensity or greater will hit the Panhandle again, it is just a matter of time. Hopefully later rather than sooner. When it is taken out, will the county just keep replenishing it? I would be so! I am just not an advocate of doing that! As I have stated previously, I could and would manage just fine with some rudimentary dwellings for rental and if washed out, so be it and easily replaced. Putting up house after house after townhome after townhome and complex after complex, to the point of not even being able to see the road any longer....well, not my idea of beauty! Just one, "longtimer's" opinion!
skipper

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:45 pm

All the property is owned by the county, including the sand the beach houses are built on. Those that live on the island need the beach road to provide a second way on and off the island. If either the Pensacola Beach causeway or the Navarre Beach causeway are damaged the beach road enables people access to their homes.
ToesInTheSand

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:32 pm

skipper wrote:Those that live on the island need the beach road to provide a second way on and off the island. If either the Pensacola Beach causeway or the Navarre Beach causeway are damaged the beach road enables people access to their homes.
I saw many posts on another local forum from people opposed to the beach road being re-built. They referred to Navarre Beach as "dead", questioning WHY people would go there anyway. Geez! (some very derogative remarks about NB as well. ??? Grrr) A couple ppl. even commented about how "we" should have a toll now as well.
My thoughts always remain on the safety issue......WHAT IF?
Barges do hit bridges.........a hurricane could take out one of the beach bridges. What if the Bob Sikes bridge was disabled? I bet they would change their tune in a heartbeat.

We NEED this road, not just for "sightseeing" and the fact that it is one of the most beautiful scenic drives in Florida, but because of SAFETY.
Home2007

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:19 pm

:P
Last edited by Home2007 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 am

skipper wrote: ..., then make the beaches privately owned, and then the owners can fix them. It sounds like you want the people leasing the property to pay for the repairs, and then let the visitors enjoy the beaches for free.
Agree that all current lease-holds should be converted to fee-simple title!
(but, I am told it - literally - takes an act of congress, as well as favorable support from the state and Escambia county - due to the complex history of laws and leases to this point?) and also keep the current level of public access/parks, etc., too.

Then the current split of who pays for renourshiment can remain (I beleive that the MSBU currently paid by leaseholders covers about 40% of the total renourishment cost?)
-OR - figure the percent that is "developed" for private vs public use - and divide the cost between the private and public sectors along those lines/percentages.

I, like others, wonder if anything other than "disposable" rudementary development should have ever been allowed on the island, much less encouraged - but are way past that point now and will never be able to go back and revisit (I don't think) - dispite the hazards, the demand is too great.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 am

I believe I was misunderstood on the road issue or perhaps not! No, I am not an advocate of the road for sure but even more so, I am not an advocate of rebuilding the road multiple times the same way, only to see if washed out with the next TS or Hurricane. Keep the road if the county must but re-engineer it some how!
Home2007

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:30 am

:P
Last edited by Home2007 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
skipper

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm

So, what is the latest? Are they going to rebuild the beach to the dimensions of the last time? I paced it off and it was 300 ft. from the property line to the water. Or, are they going to just put back what the survey showed was removed by Ike and Gustav? Either way, how much is FEMA going to pay? Does anyone know?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”