beach erosion

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 pm

There are still some drop offs to the beach. I am not exactly sure about the Regency. I see it from up above and it is hard to judge. If there is a drop off, get the kids (don't have to be yours) to cut a slope for you to use. They will enjoy digging up the sand and you will have easier access.
skipper

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm

That's a good example of denial. Two years ago we had 150 ft. of beach past the berm. Yesterday the water was lapping at the steps of the Belle Mer and Navarre Towers walkovers. Today, you have 12 to 15 feet of beach, because the wind is blowing 13mph from NNW. It doesn't do any good to ignore a problem.
kcblond

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Sorry if you thought I was whining. I love the place and would like to show it to my loved ones. Using a beach wheelchair is not common I realize but so much beauty should be accessible to all. I was just trying to determine if we needed to move to a different part of the beach.
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 am

sorry to say - there IS considerable beach erosion in many places. i am here and not looking at a beach cam.

an interesting thought, mentioned by the beach chair guy - the county says the sand is still there, it is just "moved up." and in some cases, i can see that. walkways are partially buried, and the berm is extended out, so to speak. so how about getting some dozers to move the sand around
kcblond

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Great idea, you are soooo right. It looked like the sand had been pushed up toward the buildings and walkways ,, like a rug wrinkled up. I was unsure if I should try to break down the sand cliff. Thought maybe I would be in trouble if I tried to move it myself.
Ginny
David
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Skipper,

Not sure where you got the 150' from so we will just have to take your word that you measured it but please take into consideration that, as has been mentioned, more than once, that the berm takes up some of that beach in your memory and it has widened since placed and now covers some of the walk over steps which, in most cases, are much longer than they were pre-Ivan. Please, also remember that the waves laped in the ground floor garage of Bellemer before the rejuvination and laped at the pool deck of the Towers which they protected with a temporary sea wall, as did the cottages on the other side of Bellemer protecting their undepillings. People were fishing for whiting off Bellemer's pool deck. Sure is a lot better than that now!

There being mention of the Regency--- prior the berm and rest of the beach rejuvination, the waves laped at their base construction as they did other condos and cottages. Sure is a lot different now.

Not sure I'm projecting "denial" but hope to project a more positive view than the "look at what we lost" view. Look at what we gained since the storms and the waves are not laping in the condos as they were. Remember that we were warned that the beach was built beyond what we would eventually end up with and allowed for mother nature and her natural erosion. Maybe that should have been taken into consideration with some of the cross over construction.

Yes, there are some areas on the beach that may need attention, just remember that the beachline changes almost daily. Mother nature wants it that way. We should give her a chance before jumping the gun and trying to control her even more. Don't think anyone wants to spend that kind of money now unless their name is Obama.

You may know that the county has already been progressing toward the repair of some areas of the west end.
Last edited by David on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Update:
There were surveyor type guys out on the berms today. I asked them what they were doing and they told me they were measuring for beach erosion.

kcblond:
There are kids out there every day... digging holes, building castles or walls, just ahving a good time. Unless you move into the berm area, you should not have any trouble cutting a path.
kcblond

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Beachgirl,
You are so right. I didnt think of it thatway. As a very appreciative visitor, I was thinking about not disturbing the beach. I guess we could knock down part of that "cliff" ourselves . Where else could you have so much fun playing in the sand ?
Ginny

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”