Question for Kenny...

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
Hockeydad

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:21 pm

We were down in April between the 10th and the 18th. We stayed at the Regency and the beach was pretty much washed away. A four wheeler and a crew came along a few times and looked as if they were surveying the beach. They had some eqiupment that I did not know what it was. My question is: Is the beach washing away or is the sand just pushing up? Is there any plan on what they might do or what they may have to do. I was shocked how much beach was gone from last year.
If you could have updates on the beach that would be great.
P.S. I know it was a few weeks ago, but were you working on that little fence area on the east side of the bridge for the birds on Thursday evening on the 16th?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:27 pm

i was just down there for easter, and we are in the condo next to the regency.

as far as the beach - i think it's some of both: there has been erosion, but the sand has also been pushed up. the end of our walkway is covered in sand, and the berm, in general, looks "wider."

i have not heard about any plans, but i do not live there.
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 pm

The National Seashore to the west of Navarre is also changing and building to the north. I watched her level a long 4' cliff this morning while at the same time evening out an area that did jut to the south till it became almost even with beach to the east and west, all this in less than 4 hours.

Some of the people looking for yesterday's drowning victim made remarks of how it didn't seem to mater where there was rejuvination or not, Mother Nature will do her thing and change the beach, sometimes dailey.
David
Home2007

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:57 am

:P
Last edited by Home2007 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcblond

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:30 am

Are the owners of the condo property allowed to do anything towards repairing the beach outside their property? What is the entity that controls the beach and handles the repair work if any?
Ginny
THE HARDEST THING IS TO KNOW WHICH BRIDGE TO CROSS AND WHICH TO BURN
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 am

I know the folks at the engineering consulting firm Coastal Technologies for the Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 that is an ongoing project. I will contact them today to obtain an update regarding the beach erosion. Coastal Technologies has a consulting contract with Santa Rosa County for the beach restoration period of seven years that started in 2006.

As far as individual owners repairing the beach or adding new sand, it would require approved permits from “all” federal and state regulatory agencies and Santa Rosa County. If the permits were approved by “all” of these agencies it would require a specific quality of new sand to be used in accordance to regulations. In 2006 a medium dump truck of regulatory approved sand cost $300.00 to $400.00 delivered. You would also need a permit to distribute the sand from Gulf Blvd. to the actual delivered site plus distribution costs. The permits would require a biological assessment and other environmental assessments.

And with the federal and state protected sea turtle nesting season beginning May 1 until October 31, you would be required to have this part of the permit approved by all the federal and state regulatory agencies. This approval would most likely be included in the biological assessment.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
David
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 am

In other words, be interested, but let the county and state handle it. Maybe the county can get some extra funding from Obama's spending rage.
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Beach Restoration Update

I just had a lengthy phone call today with Cliff Truitt, P.E., Ph.D, the Director of Engineering for Coastal Tech who is the consultant for Santa Rosa County regarding the beach restoration at Navarre Beach. In summary it is my understanding that an update would include the following:

The County’s application to FEMA about November 2008 was for only the last 1,200 feet to 1,400 feet of the very western end of the beach that received beach erosion from the storm surge from Hurricane Gustav and Hurricane Ike in September 2008. The FEMA application does not apply to the berm (dune) beach erosion restoration. The application presently has requested 15,000 cubic yards of sand to be distributed by truck haul at the very western end of the beach.

According to an e-mail that I received today from County Commissioner Goodin he said “the truck haul project is out for permitting now.” Once the permitting process is complete bids will be sent out to contractors, and then a contractor will be selected. I believe that the original approximate start date of midsummer 2009 is still applicable for this particular project.

Cliff at Coastal Tech said that there is a plan to ask for about 10,000 more cubic yards to restore the berm (dune) at the last 1,200 to 1,400 feet of the very western end of the beach. This will have to be approved by FEMA.

In regards to the beach erosion since 2008 there are no plans to add more sand and restore the berm (dune) for the other beach areas that includes about 3.5 miles of the eastern end of Navarre Beach and about 0.8 miles of Navarre Beach Park. Cliff says these beach areas would most likely not be considered by the County Commissioners until 2010.

Some of you last week saw surveyors at the beach last week. The Navarre Beach Restoration Project of 2006 provides for the surveying of the beach every April for 7 to 8 years beginning with 2006.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”