Beach erosion

2016 Navarre Beach Renourishment Project and the 2006 Navarre Beach Restoration Project. And updates/issues about beach storm surge sand erosion, dune vegetation, sea turtle/shorebird nesting and other.
lovenavarre

Thu May 07, 2009 9:32 am

I have a question regarding beach erosion. When I recently viewed the webcam, it appears as though the beach (viewing westward) has eroded since last year. Or is it that the berm has filled in with seaoats?

We'll be there in about 2 months and can't wait! Our family has been visiting Navarre for over 20 years and we stay at Le Chateu. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen....and so well taken care of. It's obvious the Navarrians love their home!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 am

lovenavarre,

My family/friends stays across the street from you...Lazy Dolphin. I was there two weeks ago and scoped out that stretch of beach. There is absolutely no question the beach has eroded greatly in that area. In fact, just about 1/2 the berm is gone and oddly enough, as you are at the water's edge, you can barely see the top of your house. There is still enough room to set up camp for the day but I would not leave anything out on the beach at night. Although much of the beach is gone (down our way), no reason not to have the time of your life. As long as the waters are calm and no storms crop up, we are fine! The walkover to the east of your house (the olive green house) has a 6 foot drop down to the sand, from the bottom step of the walkover!!!! Not much we can do about what the sand and water want to do naturally!
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Please guys, go back and read the previous thread "beach erosion" under this same topic.

Yes there are places that have eroded more than others. Yes, the west end is worse for reasons of construction and is already being addressed.

If here, and walk the beach as much as I, you would note that the berm is actually wider and higher in most places than it was just after it's restoration and note, as the other thread mentions, that there was water, at high tide, lapping in the ground floor garages of some condos prior the berm. Water that now might reach the berm, might not have a few months ago because of it widening. Note that many walkover's steps are now covered with sand where they were a good distance to the south of berm sand when built. Mother Nature changes the beach almost daily as she changes the wind and water flow, maybe a little more now than prior all our recent storms. The problem is that we don't remember that she also changed it before the storms as well, scalloped one day, straight the next.

Just last week, within the National Seashore, I watched a 4 ft. "cliff" disappear to be replaced by a gradual slope and a bar of sand that stretched into the Gulf also straighten with the beach, also disappearing, all within 4 hours. We notice this type thing more where we have a berm and walkovers that remain fixed and change the optics.

Please go back and read the other thread. Thanks!
David

Return to “2016 Beach Renourishment ~ 2006 Beach Restoration ~ Current Sand Conditions”